Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 10:39 AM
Kobold

Default The Last Hoorah...

What is the final bug fix / content / balancing that is due in P99 that is currently not in? For me, I would say the melee updates to SK/PAL. How can we delay these changes that hold back 66% of the tanking classes in the game? Two classes are gimp because of a few numbers in an array need to be changed? Maybe I'm oversimplifying?

What say you?
Old 07-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Aviak

No
Old 07-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Look, obviously if it was as easy as you make it sound ("a few numbers in an array need to be changed") then the devs would have just released the entire "Chardok 2.0" patch at once.

They have absolutely no need to arbitrarily delay the patch: if they're delaying it they have a reason, so just be patient and it will be released sometime between now and September (which is wayyyyy more forewarning than the server has ever had on almost any prior patch).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:56 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Look, obviously if it was as easy as you make it sound ("a few numbers in an array need to be changed") then the devs would have just released the entire "Chardok 2.0" patch at once.

They have absolutely no need to arbitrarily delay the patch: if they're delaying it they have a reason, so just be patient and it will be released sometime between now and September (which is wayyyyy more forewarning than the server has ever had on almost any prior patch).
Wait how are you getting this September date? Where does that come from?

Also, the question proposed was what is the most important thing still missing. Ya gotta chime in on that part too. I could give a shit about some quest text. Knights need to get their reparations.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wait how are you getting this September date? Where does that come from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They don't technically have to finish it before Green (since they have like two years after Green's release to address it), but as I understand it the devs' goal was always to "finish the classic EverQuest code" on Blue first before Green was released.

If that's still true I imagine they'll drop the patch before Green, not simultaneously with it, and that would put it in or before September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, the question proposed was what is the most important thing still missing. Ya gotta chime in on that part too. I could give a shit about some quest text. Knights need to get their reparations.
Eh, all that's really left is the second half of the "Chardok 2.0" patch, and some relatively minor patches that came after (eg. light blue con mobs). So there's not a ton of options left to choose from.

I guess if I had to pick one it'd be /targetgroupbuff. I have a 60 Shaman (disease/poison group buffs) and a 60 Druid (PotG, Regrowth of the Grove, and the Fire/Resist group buffs) and I am very much looking forward to not having to do the "disband/invite dance" anymore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:40 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If that's still true I imagine they'll drop the patch before Green, not simultaneously with it, and that would put it in or before September.
solid assessment. I was thinking the same thing
Old 07-06-2019, 05:27 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
It is a few numbers in an array though.

https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/blob...tack.cpp#L4537

Also, the reason why the patches get delayed is purely political reasons imposed by Daybreak, as far as I know?

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 07-06-2019, 09:05 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, the reason why the patches get delayed is purely political reasons imposed by Daybreak, as far as I know?
Exactly! If you read the patch notes, and the conversations on the boards from back then, they put knights onto warriors combat table (so things like 2hs don't cap at 235 but rather 255?) and monks got special 55 / 60 combat tables. So, basically, just give knights the warrior combat skill levels?

And for Loramin, telling me to be patient. Bro, look at my forum acct. 2010. I've been around here for 9 years. That is pretty damn patient, I would say.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But again, if that was true, why didn't they just release it with everything else? It doesn't make any sense that Daybreak would care whether P99 releases the entire "Chardok 2.0" patch at once or not. I mean, can you really see someone at Daybreak telling Rogean "Ok, you're allowed to release Chardok 2.0, but don't you dare release those melee number changes as part of it?"

And as for whether it literally requires only "a few numbers in the array" in the code ... c'mon Secrets, you're a dev. You know there's more than just the code: there's updating unit tests, there's the research behind those numbers, there's making sure that the array is the only place that needs changing, there's manual testing, there's ...

I mean, you know the P99 dev team a lot better than I do [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But still, even with my limited knowledge of them, it just would make no sense for them to hold off "changing a few numbers in an array", specifically splitting up a Verant patch into multiple P99 patches (something they rarely do), for no reason (or for Daybreak's sake).

It seems far more likely that there was more work to do, so they decided not to release it until that work was done.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:00 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
there's updating unit tests,
I stopped reading there. I think the last time I wrote a unit test, even including industry experience, was like 2007.

We don't really use those here. It's numbers in an array and it won't be that big of a change (it wasn't on live at the time, either)

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Closed Thread