Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 03:48 AM
Aviak

Default The XP deal

The server population has been dropping, for various reasons, but this is causing a negative change for a lot of people. Let's discuss a way to encourage population.

I'm seeing both sides of the camp.

We want it hard, but we also want the people to experience the competition. We want classic experience, but nearly everyone is an expert at everything in the game. Where do we strike the balance?

Up until now I've seen people handle it in two ways: One, slowly but surely level up, shrug the inconsistencies. Two, exploit or use a sanctioned advantage to power through: (repeat quests (mail 1-5), swords, wands, bard AE kiting (8+ hard, 18+ easy).

What it should be: people grouping. EQ has always been about grouping, but many classes solo so effectively they reject grouping where they think they are losing the time advantage.

Suggestion: Raise group xp bonus only, but significantly.

Desired reaction: People group up more, and expect to do so because of the lucrative bonus.

Side-effects: Without changing some tactic mechanisms, you'll probably have a fair few bard kite PL groups where the rest of the group snoozes. Would encourage group-only classes such as warriors/rogs, classes critically missed currently.

Disclosure: I've played a bard on P99, due to obvious advantages I've used bard kiting as my method (20-40 mob kites yield 1-2.5 yellow in 15min drop to drop), though would prefer regular grouped experience to bring the PvP in all ranges, its the journey that counts (10ish+ IMHO, before that its boring for a lot of classes).

TL,DR:
Suggestion: Increase group xp bonus significantly to encourage classical EQ vision and critically, population increase.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:57 AM
Fire Giant

A chat channel for LFG in some capacity would be great. ( not classic ;p)

I dont think people know about, or are willing to use the IRC channel for LFG purposes.

The XP doesnt need to be tweaked. This game and server wasnt meant to be won in a week.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprobe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
TL,DR:
Suggestion: Increase group xp bonus significantly to encourage classical EQ vision and critically, population increase.
Yosto approves. Thus it shalt be shit on by the trolls around here. You are doing the right stuff kprobe.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Fire Giant

LFG tool is confirmed in. Whoo! Not classic, but this isn't a 100% classic server; may as well cater to the experience, eh?

Now, encouraging grouping like so is pretty cool. Most people I see are just soloing, doing mass exp quests, kiting and swarming. This is true. It would be nice to get a bonus to grouping. As a bard, I see no reason to group since the xp sucks, especially with such an insane exp penalty that I have.

If group bonus were upped, I'd have a reason to group with people. Of course not as good as swarm kiting, but hey, it'd be a nice change to group now and then just for something different
Old 12-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Banned

shards of dalaya has the grouping thing with a big bonus

works very well : )
Old 12-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steaks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
shards of dalaya has the grouping thing with a big bonus

works very well : )
Shards also allows 2 boxing and is a whole other creature compared to P99. AAs are in shards also as well as negative exp bonuses if you stay in the same zone for too long (longer than like 1-2 levels).
Old 12-31-2011, 08:15 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shards also allows 2 boxing and is a whole other creature compared to P99. AAs are in shards also as well as negative exp bonuses if you stay in the same zone for too long (longer than like 1-2 levels).
What does that have to do with shard's exp system encouraging grouping?
Old 12-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprobe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
TL,DR:
yes
Old 12-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Planar Protector

this staff is to stubborn to bend big rules i doubt even though it would be better
Old 12-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Fire Giant

Give it up. "faster xp" is not going to bring people here, just make some existing players say "oh this is just another ez emu" and leave.

EQ is about the journey, not rush a dozen alts to max level.

If you want faster xp, try WoW.
Closed Thread