Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Kobold

Lol @ the depiction of the Chinese citing nationalisation as the reason for the fall of America.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Sarnak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2D-WPRYwF0

Donate a water filter in Haiti. Click Here
Old 04-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
La dee dah. La dee dah. NOTHING is comparable to Nazi Germany's treatment of the Jewish people at any point. Lah dee dah. Obvious stuff about Rome > 200yrs. Lah dee dah.
I didn't compare anything to Nazi Germany's treatment of the Jewish people at any point. I compared the above commercial to the propaganda of the Nazi party. That difference, while apparently subtle enough to fly right the fuck over YOUR head, is not inconsequential.

Also, lots of things are comparable to the Nazi parties treatment of the Jewish people. Lots of countries have committed lots of atrocities, and comparing those situations to Nazis is actually quite helpful so that nothing like the nazis ever happens again.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-Santayana

I would posit that it is only through the comparison of the Nazis treatment of the Jewish people that we ensure that things like that never happen again.

Are you arguing that things like that should happen again, sirrah?

---

ITT: People who think there is such a thing as "a race," and who do not understand that racism is a colloquial term used to describe hatred or intolerance towards another group of people for a great many reasons having to do with their culture, ethnicity, or nationality.

---

If you don't understand why this commercial has racial undertones at the very least, you might be a redneck.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Fire Giant

<[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Banned

this tool
Old 04-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ITT: People who think there is such a thing as "a race," and who do not understand that racism is a colloquial term used to describe hatred or intolerance towards another group of people for a great many reasons having to do with their culture, ethnicity, or nationality.
There is most definitely such a thing as "a race". We are all one species but we are distinguished by physical differences with the most significant being skin color.

However, the above comment is really just me being nitpicky. I understand and agree with the point you are making. As such, I do agree that over the years* "race" has culturally evolved away from the more scientific meaning into what it is today; i.e. a way of easily profiling groups of people (sometimes, maybe usually, offensively) based upon physical characteristics, cultural differences, practices, etc.

*Edit: Over the years? More like the beginning of time.
Last edited by bman8810; 04-01-2011 at 02:45 PM..
Old 04-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

No such thing as a race? Lol, oh yes, how silly of me, we are all one under peace and love man, far out.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would it have been racist if the people sitting in those seats were Norwegian? The commercial isn't taking aim at "those buck-toothed yellow ****s" so much as it's taking a blow to Chinese policy, it's portraying the country of China as a nation of filthy communists plotting to overthrow your government, and laughing about it when it's said and done.

Again, it's nothing to do with the Chinese people, but everything to do with pro-American politics going against Chinese industrialization, and the only hatred they're spewing in this commercial is an intolerance of other governments questioning the might of the U.S economic machine.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:16 AM
Aviak

Only Neo-Con Sara Palin/NewtG/GBeck/Hannity/TeaBagger Folks would really believe this.

<Vesica Dei>
Old 04-02-2011, 03:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman8810 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is most definitely such a thing as "a race". We are all one species but we are distinguished by physical differences with the most significant being skin color.

However, the above comment is really just me being nitpicky. I understand and agree with the point you are making. As such, I do agree that over the years* "race" has culturally evolved away from the more scientific meaning into what it is today; i.e. a way of easily profiling groups of people (sometimes, maybe usually, offensively) based upon physical characteristics, cultural differences, practices, etc.

*Edit: Over the years? More like the beginning of time.
Tell me, what makes up a race? "Scientists" used to think there was such a thing, but upon further examination, they found that there really is no such thing. Provide me with evidence of the validity of such a term, and I will discuss it with you. However, I beseech you to first consider that more learned people are now discussing the differences between groups of people using 3 separate criteria: ethnicity, nationality, and culture. It is actually along these three lines that make up the major differences between people. For instance, it is extremely fallacious to call all white people one group, as it is to call all black people one group. To say that an Irishman is within the same group as a Romanian man is ludicrous, there are by far more differences than similarities. The same goes for saying that an American black man is in the same group as an African; both men might have the same ethnicity, but the differences in culture and the implications of their different nationalities make them about as similar as an apple to a cucumber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queladen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No such thing as a race? Lol, oh yes, how silly of me, we are all one under peace and love man, far out.
It's not hippy shit man, it's science. Of course, those words are synonyms to rednecks, so I'm really not surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab "The REAL truth" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would it have been racist if the people sitting in those seats were Norwegian? The commercial isn't taking aim at "those buck-toothed yellow ****s" so much as it's taking a blow to Chinese policy, it's portraying the country of China as a nation of filthy communists plotting to overthrow your government, and laughing about it when it's said and done.

Again, it's nothing to do with the Chinese people, but everything to do with pro-American politics going against Chinese industrialization, and the only hatred they're spewing in this commercial is an intolerance of other governments questioning the might of the U.S economic machine.
That is a very superficial view of what is really going on behind the scenes of propaganda like this. In fact, the intent of the creators may have been exactly as you describe it, but the effects are drastically different. Which leads me to the connection between what you're saying and the next person:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ongbak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Only Neo-Con Sara Palin/NewtG/GBeck/Hannity/TeaBagger Folks would really believe this.
It is exactly because people like the ones listed in this quote buy in to this nonsense that it is scary.

#1.) On a subconscious level for people who do not already hate Chinese people, these groups are being geared up to become intolerant of the Chinese. Perhaps already intolerant of the Chinese will simply hate them more, because this just adds fuel to the fire of their current hatred.

#2.) Dealing directly with Ongbak's quote, the problem with "only the groups you listed really believing this," is that those groups make up an extremely large and growing segment of the American people. To minimize these groups is to stick your head in the sand, especially in the face of the most recent House of Representatives vote, and all the attention in the media that Palin, et al, have been receiving from the VERY rich and powerful media outlets promoting them.

---

This shit is scary, and to blow it off so easily shows a lack of foresight.

As far as why I am just now seeing this, I rarely watch network television, and yes, even though it may have been running for 6 months, I have just become aware of it.