Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Possible but very unlikely. Vanguard wasn't a bad game. In fact it may have been the best MMORPG ever developed. It suffered from other problems, of course. But the game design was of the highest quality.
.. you are talking about Vanguard: Saga of Heroes? still have my original copy of that one. I am responding about the game design of the highest quality comment, made me smile. I played that game on and off for two weeks as a cleric. I joined the best guild on the server (forgot the name as the game is forgettable) and I had a moment where I was with everyone and thought "Why am I playing this, I don't want to. This has none of the pull EQ did, I am just grinding in a fantasy game in 3rd person"

If you had one million dollars and offered it as a reward for naming a single town, dungeon or memorable tune I would not be able to win it. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-08-2019, 12:40 PM
Banned

Not posting this to slam on the quality of the visuals but I do dislike the art style. Like wow, gotta have the mini map, a quest log (because wtf kind of game doesn't have one?) a small chat box, hot bar bonanza... on rails. These are standards now and expected in accessible game designs.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Mblake81; 11-08-2019 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: I was starting to rant.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

Vanguard had the minimap specifically because the WoW-kiddos wouldn't stop crying about not having one. There wasn't one in beta. I think Vanguard--even beyond its many problems--was the wrong game at the wrong time. It was something of an anti-WoW trying to launch during the height of Warcraft's success. Even if it was fully functional and not a bug-ridden unfinished mess I don't think it would have done particularly well.

Pantheon, if it can manage a release at all, seems to have better timing in the sense that there's no 800 pound gorilla in the room waiting to smash all comers, but it also seems like a vastly less ambitious game than VG was with a much smaller scope. I keep track of its progress to a limited degree but I haven't seen anything that really stands out yet. With its drawn-out development it's hard to put much faith even in what's been shown--with potentially years to a release most anything is still subject to change. Can't do much more, right now, than continue keeping an eye on it as a potential option down the road.

Danth
Old 11-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pantheon, if it can manage a release at all, seems to have better timing in the sense that there's no 800 pound gorilla in the room waiting to smash all comers, but it also seems like a vastly less ambitious game than VG was with a much smaller scope.

Danth
It's now closer to 500lbs, is the family friend by name and its fists are made of hardened steel expectation.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:07 PM
Large Bat

What was the point of that new trailer? An aerial camera view of some random zone? Did I miss something?
Old 11-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Banned

vanguard was a shit game and thats why no one played it and it died
Old 11-08-2019, 02:23 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
pantheon will be a shit game that no one played and it will die
FixD
Old 11-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not posting this to slam on the quality of the visuals but I do dislike the art style. Like wow, gotta have the mini map, a quest log (because wtf kind of game doesn't have one?) a small chat box, hot bar bonanza... on rails. These are standards now and expected in accessible game designs.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if this is what pantheon looks like this is god dam terrible
Old 11-08-2019, 09:36 PM
Large Bat

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/pantheon_difference/
Old 11-08-2019, 09:39 PM
Large Bat

actual newsletter in video form, just 2 week ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGUQ3hpZNks
Closed Thread