Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 06-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Sarnak

Rangers still get to be the butt of many jokes, but I haven't seen a ranger turned away just for being a ranger, they get turned away because the group needs a cleric or an enchanter; I have seen rangers as pullers when there is no monk available, I have seen rangers helping the DPS, I have even seen twinked rangers tank when there is no 'real' tank going.

I'd say a ranger is the second choice for pulling, tanking and DPS, but the flip-side is that they can fill in as any of those when the zone is a little underpopulated.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Planar Protector

lammies are close to other .5 ratio weaps enough that they're fine. Plus they look kinda cool. Just that Im saying you shouldnt get hung up on stats with weapons.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:33 PM
Planar Protector

Ranger is probably one of the best classes to roll from scratch. I did one, only play it occasionally, but he's level 40 and I'm pretty impressed with the gear I was able to acquire on my own without living in EC. I never have trouble finding groups with him and it's pretty fun to play when I have the time. The only things I bought in EC with plat I farmed only on him were some 5/55 rings and a Springwood Stave and I think there's like 10k worth of gear on him. I never feel gimped or like I'm being shunned by others. It's way easier to be a Ranger in Velious than it was in Classic for sure.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:52 PM
Planar Protector

Not just rangers - people hate you for your racial choice, name choice, and guild tag these days!

It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Aviak

Ranger Class imo is one of the strongest classes in the game. In my experience the only people that have made rangers jokes have all been simpletons.
Its safe to say I would decline eating a DT not because im stubborn or because I hate dying. A competent ranger taking DTs is just the wrong play.
When playing a ranger you are playing a class whos capabilities are unmatched by any other class.
In a way you can say a ranger shares some characteristics that you would find in other classes : Warrior, Druid, Pal/SK, Rogue.
I see it the opposite.
(If geared properly), A ranger can do what a warrior is supposed to do in terms of holding aggro, doing dps, and being a capable of taking more then enough hits to be able to land heals without draining all the healers mana.
It is safe to say more times then not a warrior will take less damage per hit then a ranger and to think otherwise would be foolish.
What makes rangers great takes is the fact that they can put themselves at the top of the npc's threat list at any time and with little effort.
The spell flame lick = 1.5 Second cast for 10 mana. If you have an instant cast refresh item you can just about chain cast this (Wont ever need to actually cast more then one or two to make the npc want to kill you ).
Can warriors do this? If they proc sure. If no procs happen in an adequate amount of time theyre just dps class with high hp and ac.
In groups and in some raids it is safe to say this claim is accurate:
Once the npc is slowed its damage output is a joke. Because a ranger can hold aggro so well enchanters and shamans can cast their tash/malo at the start of the engage and cast slow right after without the risk of pulling aggro and getting beat up. With a warrior you can NOT do this. The slowers would get thrashed until a proc occured.
If a warrior was the designated "Tank" and engaged a mob. Without this mob being slowed its going to have a very high damage output.
IF the slowers try to slow early on to decrease the mobs damage output more then likely they will be taking damage now except in higher increments.
If you calculate the damage received by the warrior + damage received by the slowers almost EVERY the total damage received will be higher then a ranger tanking since the slowers would be able to slow at the very start of the engage.
Make sense?

Now what warriors have over rangers is the ability to take 25-30% damage mitigated with the use of defensive disc for a few minutes. This is the key reason why warriors main tank the heavy hitting high end raid targets. Its just efficient to let them do it.

Does this mean you have to have a warrior to tank raid targets? No. It just means you SHOULD have a warrior to tank the targets that hit for lets say... 600-1k+

Ive personally tanked fear golems, st golems, tov minis, every kunark dragon, and these are just naming a few. My point is IF you are smart with your gear selection getting high AC/Hp/Resist items instead of Str/dex..(Complete crap stats), then youre more then likely are going to be a lot more successful in your encounters.

I'm not going to get into the ranger discs even though Weaponshield is easily the most overpowered discipline in the game. Twenty Seconds of melee immunity from the front? Show me any other class who can hold aggro on Avatar of war who hits for over 1k for 20 seconds without ANY heals. There isn't any other class.
Now a simpleton might say "once your disc fades you're dead! "
This of course would be false since rangers have the the ability to decrease the threat you build via jolt so that you can pass the aggro to the next person on the hate list safely. (This occurs usually when a tank dies and a new tank is getting set up with the heal chain)

A paladin/SK would not be able to replicate the task described above.

So besides tanking and saving raids what ELSE can rangers do?
Track - lol, You can almost track the entire zone at high level.
Pull/Kite - You have harmony for outdoors. You also have the ability to snare/root things.
Will you do more damage then rogues? More times then not but theres no reason why a good rogue would not out dps you by 1/3 - 1/2 more damage then you.

Getting the idea of how powerful rangers are?
You wanna fte something? Rangers are some of the better classes to do it on in some instances.

Do you not care about any of the raid related shit and just wanna look cool as fk and have fun playing as a casual player?

https://imgur.com/DFBNl8s
https://imgur.com/nMLo6Hs

Takes no effort . You look like a bad ass no matter what you wear people will inspect you to see what you're wearing so they can get the same gear for their upcoming ranger alt that you just inspired them to make.

Anyhoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Hope this gives you more positive outlook on the ranger class!
Last edited by Alleriah; 06-04-2019 at 07:12 PM..
Old 06-04-2019, 07:11 PM
Planar Protector

You do realize bards also have frontal melee immunity disc right?
Old 06-04-2019, 07:14 PM
Planar Protector

Ugh alleriah’s autistic screetching...

It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Orc

Rangers are fun, enjoy!
Old 06-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Aviak

Right You are Legidias! With a shorter duration and a less reliable way of manipulating the aggro as well as a ranger they definitely have a frontal melee immunity disc ! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

O hi Aaezil..I do apologize for having absolutely no idea who you are. Dont feel bad though. Your 1,209 posts on P99 Forums dating back from.. only Febuary of this year is something I'm sure you're very proud of and it's obvious you must have a lot going on for yourself. lelz
Old 06-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Sarnak

Ranger has all the skills I wanted in a class, Double Attack, Dual Wield and Kick, along with Archery and some nice utility magic. So many tools I'll have at my disposal once I get to about Level 22.

I take it I should train Fletching as a Ranger too, make my own ammo? Or is the Bracer that creates ammo sufficient?