Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Do you want your pet window back?
Yes 124 35.63%
No 37 10.63%
Yes, and this change is making me not want to play the game. 75 21.55%
No, I'm glad it's gone. 58 16.67%
I love refrigerators. 54 15.52%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 05:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seems pretty clear why he made the change. If he were just appeasing the "whiners", he'd have brought back the hotbar too.
Using the car restoration analogy its close enough, the spot of rust on the tailpipe doesn't need to be recreated.

Congrats pep classes, you got your gauge back. Fair enough.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:41 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah, but loosely fitted, badly shaped, hand beaten panels are part of the charm.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm going to put this poll up. I want my pet window back. I don't care that it isn't classic. The internet I have now isn't classic either, and there isn't a download speed limiter installed where we all have to run at 56k dial-up speed and spend 5 minutes zoning in and out. The pet window isn't game-breaking, it isn't ruining my immersion in the experience, it's just a quality of life improvement that we enjoyed. There are a lot of bugs, including with spells and quests, that could have been tended to but instead the game was worsened by doing this.

I'm not going to play for a while, hopefully they'll change their minds and revert it back. I understand those wanting an authentic experience, but not everything about the original experience was good. Don't run off the player base you have.

Yes you can make hotkeys, I've already done so and it's not difficult. That's not the point. The pet window is better. Am I capable of digging a hole to go to the bathroom in outside my back door, yes I am. Do I want to over using a toilet? No, because we have toilets and why not use them.

Note: I don't feed trolls, so don't bother. If you want to waste your time browsing a forum to shoot down people's ideas, you're too sad for me to punch down at anyway.
It's been real, P99. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Thank you team for providing this entertainment and forums.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeCaptain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The attraction of the game is the content: the art, the world, the lore.

It is not the UI.

And I suspect the restrictions of the original, 'classic' UI were due to a combination of technical limits and myopic developers.

Therefore, it makes little sense, and does not at all improve QOL, to shred the utility of various aspects of the UI in the name of 'classic.'

People are here for the challenge and immersion inherent to EQ, not for the UI.

I play Enchanter and don't care all that much about the change; I quickly made buttons and tend to pay attention so I know when my Charm has broken.

I simply don't understand why resources are devoted to UI changes when content can still be improved.

Want to bring back night-blindness? Fine with me! That's content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EverQuest is a game of information and a game of actions based on that information.

Classic UIs limited the information you had access to in a single frame.

Only one chat window so if you wanted to see group chat, zonewide chat, and still fight in combat you had to filter out certain pieces of text so that you wouldn’t be spammed out. This reduced incoming information you may have access to for example you may not see someone else getting hit from a mob behind you.
Also, the original UI had a vanity window where players could see their character/behind their character. If the mouse wheel pov is ever removed from Project1999, having a quick rearview mirror would help significantly when fleeing camp or pulling, to know whether mobs were aggro'd onto you or another group member, without having to turn around and risk taking damage. As much as I like both views, being able to just mouse wheel way out or hit shift + t feels too easy.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:31 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Personally I wish custom UI's were gone alongside pet window
You can use the default UI and hide the pet window yourself. Your nostalgia is no longer ruined.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, the original UI had a vanity window where players could see their character/behind their character. If the mouse wheel pov is ever removed from Project1999, having a quick rearview mirror would help significantly when fleeing camp or pulling, to know whether mobs were aggro'd onto you or another group member, without having to turn around and risk taking damage. As much as I like both views, being able to just mouse wheel way out or hit shift + t feels too easy.
Most people use the titles window for this function.

Perhaps the inventory 'rear view window' being missing is what made the title window avoid being nuked?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:15 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Personally I wish custom UI's were gone alongside pet window
It would be really nice if the forced UI’s will be scaled to new monitor resolutions. I use a 1440p monitor and I’m wondering how those old UI’s will look.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:52 AM
Planar Protector

Open a 640x480 image and stretch it to fill screen.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by feniin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Open a 640x480 image and stretch it to fill screen.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:47 PM
Large Rat

Default Yeet

Looks like we've got 'em back! https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=333558

Thanks everybody for voting. Almost 200 people voted to get this window back, which is pretty significant considering the usual peak server times are around 1000 people.

We also learned something else important. Many of you really, really love refrigerators.
Closed Thread