Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Question about comparable monk weapons

Hey guys, I know there's the table of monk weapons/dps chart but I didnt see this one on there.

The Staff of Battle http://wiki.project1999.com/Staff_of_Battle

How does it shape up to the Wu's Quivering staff? http://wiki.project1999.com/Wu%27s_Quivering_Staff

I just started playing an old toon of mine, a 48 monk, and I have both staves in my inventory and Im not sure which I should hold on to. They have very comparable ratios, .834 vs .821 for Wus. The big hits on the Staff of battle are nice, but getting a string of misses kills DPS due it its speed. Is it typically better to use the Wu's as its faster and presumably can make up for lost dps via misses through its quicker speed?

This ties in to my next question:

My weapon situation looks like this:

For dual wield im using the Knuckle Dusters and the 7/18 proc staff (which is fun but Im not liking it so much), and the two staves. I have about 7k in the bank, and if the Wu staff is > Staff of battle, then I could sell it and have around 8500-9k total, which would be likely enough for me to buy an adamantite club or stave of shielding to replace the crummy 7/18 exploding staff. Also keep in mind that I do have an FBSS.

If the staff of battle is worth keeping It wouldnt be too much trouble to farm a few thousand PP to get my next weapon upgrade.

Would that be the best option? What do you think would be the wisest way of spending my money to increase my killing power?
Old 11-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Planar Protector

Staff of Battle is a good Warrior weapon but just a mediocre Monk weapon. If your considering getting a 2hb wep, I would sell both and use half the cash in your bank to get a Peacebringer (29/30).

In terms of 1h weps, I would have to peek at the chart but I'm pretty sure a PB is going to out-DPS any of your 1h weps so you would be keeping any of them just to get the skill ups until you could either afford offhand stave or AC/offhand stave.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 11-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Sarnak

I assume you've already made your choice, but you can also consider getting a Jade Mace(1.5k?) for your main hand. Sticking to dual wielding has it's advantages in the higher lvls, even if 2h can have better damage output (and really, I feel that JM/KD is comparable to an IFS/PB, but probably a little worse at 50). Two reasons for this doing JM/KD: increased damage bonus on your mainhand (fast delay) and low weight.

The main thing is that in a lot of 50+ groups you end up being the de-facto tank. Also, if you solo in your down time you really don't want one of those heavy 2handers or an IFS (due to their unstable damage output). Also, at the 50+ lvls, the ac stat seems more accurate from what people say, and thus, more important. Keep that weight below 14 stones until lvl 55.

Later, if you get a little more cash, grab an SoS or that AC for your offhand. I did a JM/AC combo until I got my epic, and honestly didn't notice any issues with damage. I loved the IFS also, but only cause those big numbers are nice to see from time to time.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Nah I still haven't made my decision. I have a staff of battle and a bracer of the hidden to sell, from which I hope to get ~9k total. With that added to my bank stash I'll have about 15k to spend, so I'm still at a loss at what to get.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I was hoping I could get an SOS + Ac with my 15k, but everyone seems to price so high. What's the most you think I ought to pay for these? I'd really just like to get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks for the responses guys
Old 11-13-2013, 02:18 PM
Planar Protector

Keep in mind that riposte with a 2hb is also a considerable bonus to 1hb.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Sarnak

As far as pure damage output, you likely will get the most bang for your buck out of a Peacebringer as Yums was saying (about 7-8k). But the weight is still an issue there, especially if you are tanking. I also think that AC/SoS combo should be similar to Peacebringer, also the procs are damn nice. But that's at a higher price. The repostes are great with a 2h, but as mentioned most weigh a lot and you only get those repostes if you are getting hit. The one 2h that doesn't weigh a lot (IFS) sometimes hits really hard and other times you feel like you are using a single 1h. There are benefits to both styles and it also come down to if you are doing more soloing/tanking or mostly pulling/dpsing. If you are doing more soloing/tanking, I would focus mostly on keeping the weight down and an AC/SoS with that nice AC proc will be great for tanking. If you are pure dps/pulling, I think you can save some cash with that Peacebringer.

Here's a monk DPS chart if you haven't seen it: http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=110823 Notice the price of SoS back then, and I remember a few months ago when SoS were 50k. Thank you Chardok AOE's [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Spacebar; 11-13-2013 at 09:43 PM..
Old 11-13-2013, 09:48 PM
Planar Protector

At 48 there's still some time to go before you lose that weight limit so at that point I'd say to with the 2-1hb weps. Unless you can keep your weight down significantly with a 2hb (ie ditching heavy but good gear in lieu of poor light gear) it's probably not worth to tank with. On the other hand unless you're epic'd, 2hb, especially a t-staff will probably out DPS most combos which is doubly true while tanking.

Closed Thread