Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Kobold

Default Monk Soloing

So I decided to roll a monk. I managed to buy him a full suit of Wu's, Iksar Scaled Gloves, Sarnak Hide Mask and Cane of Tranquility x2. I hear an awful lot of folks say that monks solo really well. I am wondering, is it Feign Death in combination with their DPS that allows them this? Any suggestions/tips for soloing as a monk? (I play an Iksar, BTW).
Old 03-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Aviak

1. Get a pair of Jboots or SoW pots. Jboots + Instill Doubt = decent soloing.
2. Get a wt. reduction bag and fill it w/ bandages before heading out to solo.
3. AC>stats
4. Sneak + FD to lose aggro
*5. If possible, duo with a Shaman. It will decrease downtime by a lot and you can split loot with them gating out to sell and you holding camp.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Planar Protector

Feign Death is the primary reason Monks are decent soloers. It allows single pulling, not dieing a bad situation, and going places some classes cannot go. Mend is nice and it certainly helps, I save it for when I drop below 20% health and think I can still win the fight.

Tips for soloing (assuming Feign Death, Sneak, and Mend are over 100)

1. Learn how to split pull - feign death + sneak. Assuming you pulled two mobs, pull back feign death and sneak. When one mob walks back, stand up and attack the other one with a Shuriken. Having a ranged weapon like Shuriken helps with avoiding extra damage.

2. Save mend for when you need it to overcome a tough fight.

3. My favorite tip - mobs go into what I can bloodlust when you drop below 20% health where they will not flee even if they are below 20% health. However, if you feign death, they will start fleeing if they are below 20% health and will not keep attacking you when you stand back up. I win a LOT of close fights by waiting until mob gets below 20% health and feign death, they flee, and I kill. This can be a risky thing especially if FD fails, but rarely does it fail, and when it does, I still survive the next round of hits until FD refreshes.

4. AC is king, and HP is queen. I wouldn't worry about the other stats.

5. Get some summoned bags from a magician or shaman, you can save them for the next day if you duel someone before logging. They will be on your corpse the next day.

6. Get Wu's Quivering Staff for maybe 500pp - it will be better than 2 Cane of the Tranquil from level 20-60.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
6. Get Wu's Quivering Staff for maybe 500pp - it will be better than 2 Cane of the Tranquil from level 20-60.
What about two trance sticks?
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Planar Protector

I think Wu's Quivering Staff is the best you can use up until 50 when T-staff takes over. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Kobold

Trance sticks are decent once they proc starting at level 35. But Jade Mace/Knuckle Dusters will be better if you have the cash.

Wu's quivering once you hit 20 is the most bang for your buck until your damage bonus starts increasing.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phased [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Trance sticks are decent once they proc starting at level 35. But Jade Mace/Knuckle Dusters will be better if you have the cash.

Wu's quivering once you hit 20 is the most bang for your buck until your damage bonus starts increasing.
Wu's Quivering Staff is higher dps than Jade Mace and Knuckle Dusters from levels 20-60, at least according to 2 dps calculators I've checked. I haven't actually logged it in game to verify though.

Edit.. But I do agree Jade Mace and Knuckle Dusters are great 1hb weapons and can be bought for around 5k for both I think.
Last edited by eqravenprince; 03-07-2012 at 01:16 PM..
Old 03-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think Wu's Quivering Staff is the best you can use up until 50 when T-staff takes over. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Tstaff is the best weapon as far as I know. If you can afford one at level 20, it is definitely better than Wu's Quivering Staff.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Orc

Sure, but you're talking 50K+ or 300-400 plat.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by travatron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sure, but you're talking 50K+ or 300-400 plat.
I realize that... Raavak's post made it sound like Wu's Quivering Staff was better until 50 when Tstaff was better. There is no point where Wu's is better than a Tstaff is all I was trying to say.
Closed Thread