Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 12:42 PM
Kobold

Default What does Casual Raiding really mean here?

When I was playing years ago... god I can't believe I'm old enough to say that... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My observation was that one major raid group kind of ran the raid scene, and then some of the larger guilds filled in behind them. They all had a system to track who, what, when, and if a person got to loot drops. Which is all fine and dandy! The raids I went on lasted... well... they went for a very, very long time, with multiple targets hit in one massive session. Not sure if that's how it goes here or not... I only went on about 5 or 6, and then things occurred such that I left EQ.

But I guess I'm curious if I could be brought up to speed on what we mean by Casual raiding, versus other approaches? I'm still all in noob stage with myself and the family, but am trying to learn about this all. I'd like to know how this works here. And any other very helpful thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2016, 12:45 PM
Kobold

no such thing here
Old 09-30-2016, 12:58 PM
Fire Giant

Casual Raiding generally means you hit raid targets or farm raid zones but dont poopsock/batphone spawns and theres a grey area on FTE
Old 09-30-2016, 01:11 PM
Large Rat

Casual raiding means not waiting for VS spawn EVERY time he is ready or about to spawn! Casual raiding is really laid back. If I could be there, I would. If I couldn't, I wouldn't. The guild didn't care either way. Now, I should say I was a druid. I bet they would care if you were the MT or cleric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-30-2016, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

Casual raiding involves scheduling raids for non-contested or rotated content that last several hours as you described in OP.

Top end raiding means logging in for 10-15 minutes in response to tweets whenever a dragon pops. The backbone of this, or "hardcore" raiders are those who sit and wait for the targets to spawn and then tweet to their team. It is more often a shared responsibility in which multiple people may share or rotate the burden of "tracking" said targets by screen sharing. All non-named mobs in this approach are generally either trained away or AEd. It is infinitely less onerous/time-consuming than classic raiding but for a few people who put in extra time for their team and are shamed by the community for their contributions.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:52 AM
Sarnak

casual raiding means your guild doesn't have the core/playmakers/racers/lawyers to compete against the top guilds. You still raid every single day... but you cap out on gear and leave the casual guild for a hardcore guild since you're playing 24/7 anyhow.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

Simple definition for P99:

Hardcore raiding guilds = Awakened & Aftermath

Casual raiding guilds = all other guilds that raid regularly

So there's a spectrum of what "casual raiding" entails - you have the more serious casual raiders like Divinity, Anonymous, Rustle, CSG, etc., who have a small core of hardcore raiders but are generally accommodating to a more casual playstyle, and you have guilds that raid semi-regularly but don't really have that core of hardcore people like Infernus, Clue, Fires of Heaven, et al.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 10-01-2016 at 11:23 AM..
Old 10-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Simple definition for P99:

Hardcore raiding guilds = Awakened & Aftermath & CSG

Casual raiding guilds = all other guilds that raid regularly
ftfy
Old 10-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

Nah, all CSG guilds are definitely casual - as Nemce said of AG, they just offer players the opportunity to do all the life-ruining things that hardcore guilds do as well. Omni is probably the most hardcore guild in CSG and they have one scheduled raid per week and don't operate on DKP. AG and Europa use DKP but don't mandate raiding while you're online or take away your spending ability for having poor raid attendance.

But yeah I'd put CSG as an entity on the top of the "serious casual raiding guilds" list.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Planar Protector

I guess the main difference between CSG and A/A is demonstrated by this thread: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=253763

In a CSG guild that would never happen. They'd either just ask you politely if you want to help kill a dragon or figure since you're anonymous that you don't want to be bothered and leave you alone.

Although, I just realized that thread is about Rustle, which is mostly comprised of ex-A/A hardcore people. I think they just call themselves casual for cool points though.
Closed Thread