Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 12:34 AM
Kobold

All the things that destroyed the functionality of old-world zones .. the bazaar and teleports, mostly.

I'm so, so glad that the Pantheon plan explicitly includes keeping old zones relevant in multiple ways.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:46 AM
Aviak

It's been decades so I barely remember it. Only that THE worst was newer abilities and power creep trivialized content from older expansions (I'm talking to you mana burn). This was offensively bad considering the prior expansion content was THE best era of EQ and deserved more respect than to be shit on that hard (even though it's pretty rote execution for raiding here now and less of an issue in 2019 with all the known exploits, repetition, and skeleton farm crews)

Bad:
- Key quests and bane weapons
- Shit atmosphere, zones, and art. Never got the tinglies finding a dungeon like Dalnir or Droga
- Made velious mudflation look like a walk in the park
- Nexus trivialized travel and thus the demand for Wizard and Druid services
- Mounts were goofy (but on the flip side gave people a plat sink and something to desire)
- Raiding was now an XXL sock commitment.
- I don't remember it being very PUG friendly and what was around wasn't going to make you rich like say, a fungi or T-staff would have.

Good:
- Class balance really fleshed out some of those dealt shittier hands, I'd love to play a ranger again
- AA's were amazing and still one of the best additions to the game ever
- Mages weren't blueballed by the epic so much
- Bazaar. Yes this was an amazing addition, people saying there is "player interaction" in EC are very special people. It's the misguided POE philosophy, most people hate doing it and it takes up too much damn time better spent playing the actual game. There was still bartering in the Bazaar too, the only downside was no comfy rain to listen to and just as shit visuals.
- Clickes and gear from the raid scene really let you do some cool things and gave you something to work towards. The shrink wand among a billion other things.
- The invisible bridge was fun

Overall I enjoyed Luclin. It just dropped the ball hard in some places and at the expense of some really great prior content. Luclin set the stage for POP and they go together like PB&J... other than Velious POP was THE best point EQ was ever at. Luclin by itself was just a low.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:51 AM
Kobold

Most of it is dark and gloomy graphics. Really preferred the art of Velious.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Luclin hinted to the end of eq with its quality of life "improvements" beginning to emerge. Planes of Power sealed the deal tho.

Big cons of luclin:
-took me out of a tolkein style fantasy land and into SPACE! (Wait, come again?)
-introduced CATMAN! Uh from SPACE! (Is this still the same game?)
-teleporting begins with spires (and one step closer to teleport books)
-bazaar. While i agree convenient as hell, destroyed the player interaction bartering which was a big part of the game.
-new models and animations were ALL terrible! Someone in this thread said they "weren't all bad" yes I'm sorry they were. Spell casting, sitting, standing, swinging weapons and even just running looked strange and clunky.
-luclin ushered the start of making old content obsolete. Classic-velious had balance and luclin started to ruin that. An example is paludal caverns destroying any other previous leveling zone 1-24.

Pros of luclin:
-shared bank begins i think?
-beastlords
-ssra temple was kinda fun?
-alternate advancement making classes like the Ranger finally complete.
Well character models appearance is always going to be subjective. The animations were horrible, but I liked my human paladin in armor, not having it "painted" on looking like the Tin man from Wizard of Oz.

Ssra temple was either you loved it or hated, hardly an in-between.

Rangers didn't become complete, the became OP'd (Endless Quiver and True Shot), they could solo reds all day. . .

Well OK maybe I'm going to PoP on that last part.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:26 PM
Banned

Definitely gotta hop on board with the graphics/bazaar/teleports complaint.. This took away the feeling of everquest.

I woulda definitely still kept playing regardless, but my parents computer couldn't handle all the changes. And i was too young to afford or save up for a new graphics card let alone know anything about the installation of one.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:35 PM
Sarnak

I actually liked Luclin although I wasn't a fan of the "trogdolite alien atmosphere" as much as typical fantasy zones. And I couldn't stand EXP while mounted. Its just weird and takes away from playing the character with people sitting on their mounts doing damage. Teleports ruined it too and the world was just too big and turned into instances without the need to travel or connect locations.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:07 PM
Aviak

I notice many people listing the negative aspects of SoL being about the AA and past content being rendered obsolete. This was not true.

What I liked about SoL was the ability to explore and experience zones that were normally on lockdown for loot. Those "obsolete" zones people complain about were not left barren. On my original server the top guilds created the same bottleneck of content that many people see on P99. Their pattern was this, lock down every raid boss in the current expansion plus the top mobs in the previous expansion. SoL offered enough raid mobs though that the intermediate guilds were able to swipe a few kills. It was fun to finally raid Nagafen, Vox, PoH, PoF without having to poop sock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrano [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bazaar made some interesting stuff beside the killing the whole immersive trading in EC, but yeah that could begone. They shouldn't have even added spires it just made wizards and droods a bit obsolete, that being said. Looking at some of the old zones and how popular the game was back at the time, I think they were trying to alleviate the crowded zones with more newer zones that can compete to stop the clutter but given how nice some of the zones were an how Brutal the other zones were in comparison was just very rough.

I felt like the newest addition to content they pushed it made it a bit easier to maintain mana and other stuff as well with a whole new slew of twink gear and such.
So many people are wearing their L33t gamer nostalgia goggles and you hit the nail on the head. At the time SoL was released, certain servers were way too populated to function well. I remember running into EC before SoL and just lagging out due to the sheer amount of people occupying the zone. There were times I had to aim my view in first person and stare at the ground to avoid the graphical lag from so many bodies. EQ is not WoW with the way its graphics and processor programming functioned. The game did demand that you not play on a potato if you wanted to raid or go into popular dungeons.

Friendly reminder to everyone. Many of you were playing EQ on a machine using Win 95 or XP! When SoL released, the clutter you found in the popular zones died down enough for those of without gaming rigs to enjoy and explore with friends.

Baritune - level 60 Bard
Weegee - level 40 Wizard

Representing the Sanctuary Guild as an officer. We're a group friendly red players looking enjoy Project99 without the shackles of the blue servers rules!
Old 01-30-2019, 08:38 PM
Planar Protector

Bazaar arena was a blast that's all I remember
[51 Champion] Logue (Halfling)
Old 01-30-2019, 09:22 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You just came in to a thread where people are giving specific, detailed reasons for disliking the expansion, and said that everyone's hatred is illogical? Meanwhile you said you don't even know much about the expansion yourself so....dunno if you're the right one to judge in this case
I obviously wasn't talking about the people in this thread. Note how I said absolutely nothing about anyone at all in this thread, and then said my own dislikes about the xpac in the exact same way as everyone else has. Or is understanding what you're reading too much to ask?

I was referring to people in general who think the game "died" with Luclin, many of which have no reasoning for this and are merely parroting a widely believed perception based heavily on the ill-received graphical rehaul. Which it's fine to dislike the graphics, I didn't like them either, but it's not enough to claim the game is dead.

And yeah, I said my memories were vague, hence my opinion is skewed. I said that to clarify the point. A point you missed, because like your other presumption you've completely made up a different meaning behind the words you read. I guarantee you there is no one in this thread who knows everything about SoL, and there is no one in this thread whose opinion isn't bias. I have my memories of SoL the same as anyone and just like everyone without a perfect memory they are vague. I merely admitted to not remembering every possible thing about SoL that could have been bad, instead of pretending my memories were gospel.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clazxiss [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ is not WoW with the way its graphics and processor programming functioned. The game did demand that you not play on a potato if you wanted to raid or go into popular dungeons.

Friendly reminder to everyone. Many of you were playing EQ on a machine using Win 95 or XP! When SoL released, the clutter you found in the popular zones died down enough for those of without gaming rigs to enjoy and explore with friends.
A demanding game gave reason to upgrade or build/order a better computer.

I would like to race Ferrari and Porsche cars but I can't afford it.
Last edited by Mblake1981; 01-31-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Closed Thread