Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 04:59 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default First Time EQ Player!!

Hello! First time EQ player here! Installing the client now.

Used to play a lot of Asheron's Call back in the day. But there's no classic AC server yet, so. Any tips for a first time player?

Also red or blue?? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also got a busy job. So can probably only play on the weekends. Mostly.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Kobold

Welcome to a great game! I played EQ in 99 and just rolled here about a month ago so I have some tips. Go blue, purely for server population. Caster classes are typically easier for starting because they're significantly less gear dependent. Evil races are typically more challenging when learning the game because you're KoS all over the place. Con everything and don't take risks, the exp penalty cuts deep if you're not used to it (even when you are). Hunt humanoids (every decaying skele you see from 1-4) whenever possible to start as they will drop coin, cloth armor, and probably a better weapon (cracked staff!!!).
Old 04-11-2016, 07:35 PM
Banned

RED! its crazy and fun and well shit why not?!

Well these would be some reasons:

1. You want to progress and progress only. If someone breaks up your group via PVP you are going to be upset and it will likely ruin your day.
2. You want to farm items with out interruption or interference from other players. On red, youll find yourself doing less solo artist challange stuff, and more killing solo anybody.
3. You NEED a mass population. You want the gear they hand out as a result.

Well enough of the bs reasons, truth is red can be tough for the thin skinned.. even the thick skinned long term players that have been on the box since launch are over there in the forums talking shit to each other cus they are upset on some level or another.

But if you just want to enjoy the game, you want the challenge, the wonder, is that person good or bad? Is he going to attack me? Am I safe here?

Red has more of that.

Blue is more established, anything you 'discover' likely everyone alredy knows about it etc... Most camps you explore to get to, tend to have someone already there socking the mob by themselves.

players on red are kinda bad at pve so you can still wow them with cool strats and stuff.

Idk its up to you, theyre different but I find red to be way more fun than blue was.

It can be frustrating at times. But its well worth it.

Let me put it this way... if you 'think' you might be able to handle it and are curious and kind want to do it but are afraid to commit right now? Just do it becuse in that case you sound like you'll regret it and do it months from now anyway.

*edit* Also on red you can start with zero gear and plat, group all the way to 46 very quickly, and start looking into some raid guilds etc... I think itd be better to switch from red to blue than blue to red.
Last edited by iruinedyourday; 04-11-2016 at 07:38 PM..
Old 04-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Fire Giant

Read the guides. Let your groupmates know youre new and they'll help you out. Many people love to show off their eq expertise.

My suggestion is to try both servers. I feel like red is more immersive because of thr population and aoe hitting groupmates. Its fun.

Blue is fun, but I cant bring myself to play it anymore after trying red a couple years ago.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:50 AM
Large Bat

I would start on blue and then move to red if you so desire.

EQ is a challenging game. The people who made EQ were not trying to appeal to a huge audience (like WoW). They were not trying to dumb down a game so more people would play (like WoW). They just made the best game possible and that included making it challenging. After WoW made SO much money companies stopped trying to make the best game possible and just tried to make games that made as much money as WoW. This is why it will be very difficult to ever see another game like EQ. So be ready for a challenge and don't get too frustrated.

EQ is highly highly group dependent for many of the classes. If you want to interact and group with people, then just choose whatever class speaks to you. If you will only be able to solo (because your wife just had triplets and you will never be able to spend more than 3 minutes at the computer for example), then consider one of the solo classes.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:50 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would start on blue and then move to red if you so desire.

EQ is a challenging game. The people who made EQ were not trying to appeal to a huge audience (like WoW). They were not trying to dumb down a game so more people would play (like WoW). They just made the best game possible and that included making it challenging. After WoW made SO much money companies stopped trying to make the best game possible and just tried to make games that made as much money as WoW. This is why it will be very difficult to ever see another game like EQ. So be ready for a challenge and don't get too frustrated.

EQ is highly highly group dependent for many of the classes. If you want to interact and group with people, then just choose whatever class speaks to you. If you will only be able to solo (because your wife just had triplets and you will never be able to spend more than 3 minutes at the computer for example), then consider one of the solo classes.
Actually wow vanilla was quite challenging, the raiding part was fun. EQ raiding isn't that fun tbh. Sorry for the big up though.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by guirssane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually wow vanilla was quite challenging
When I think tough fights, I think Ragnaros.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:33 AM
Aviak

Welcome!
Old 05-13-2016, 06:16 AM
Fire Giant

Very excited for you as a first time EQ player. All I can say is it starts off slow, but gets better and better! Shoot me a tell in game if you need help/advice not related to free gear.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello! First time EQ player here! Installing the client now.

Used to play a lot of Asheron's Call back in the day. But there's no classic AC server yet, so. Any tips for a first time player?

Also red or blue?? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also got a busy job. So can probably only play on the weekends. Mostly.
Welcome! Fellow AC player here (99-05, then again in 2014...but games dead lol). I started EQ for the first time this year myself. Its a blast, but an entirely different game from AC. It really makes me appreciate the fact that I played AC over EQ back in the glory days. You can't slide cast, dodge projectiles, etc...very little "skill" compared to Asheron's Call. The challenge of EQ comes in recovering after a death because you made a series of bad decisions due to insufficient knowledge on how to play properly in the given situation...or the RNG gods bite you in the ass. Some classes are much harder to play at optimal level than others as well. Simply stated: EQ is more about game sense / know-how than mechanical skill.

As Lammy mentioned above...the game starts off very slow. Agonizingly slow compared to AC. Just stick with it...the grind will get more enjoyable as you go...XP groups are really fun in this game. It isn't just an 8 man fellow of single players keeping their own sections of a dungeon killed on spawn just for the XP share bonus (aka running ElTank with /tell alarm on). You actually fight alongside your group members and everyone has an important role to play.

Play blue...red is a ghost town. Unless you were born and raised on Darktide...then perhaps red could be for you.

Hit me up in game this weekend and I'll see what I can do to hook up someone that experienced the best MMORPG in history.
Last edited by kjs86z; 05-13-2016 at 07:40 AM..
Closed Thread