Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 01:46 PM
Sarnak

You're locking on the strafe run by initiating chat box input, releasing the movement keys, then ending the chat box input; the auto run key is not used. If you hit another movement key after that it does take over; you'll need to steer by mouse-look.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:58 PM
Aviak

Right. That's how it 'should' work... but it doesn't. That's why I'm convinced it's a key assignment issue, or even a device/hardware issue with the keyboard itself. I don't have very many custom changes with regard to the options menu... most stuff is default, and I know to not have things duplicated.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:01 PM
Aviak

I think I'm using the term "auto-run" improperly. When I have used it I meant running forward (my W key) then double tapping enter, and continuing to run 'automatically'. I suppose there is an auto-run 'key' but that it not of which I speak.

I applaud your patience Vivitron. You have quickly become one of my favorite contributors to my EQ learning curve!
Old 01-19-2021, 02:10 PM
Sarnak

Given the possibility that the issue was a miscommunication about which key to press when I figured I would be explicit[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Unfortunately I don't have any good suggestions on diagnosing this further.

Edit: long shot, but maybe try the arrow keys instead of w+a or vice versa.
Last edited by Vivitron; 01-19-2021 at 02:14 PM..
Old 01-19-2021, 05:20 PM
Large Rat

Hold the forward arrow and the left/right directional arrow, while simultaneously holding the right mouse button to strafe. Then press ENTER to lock it in. I found this doesnt really work when using WASD (also hard to reach the enter key and hold mouse button at the same time).

The other (much easier IMO) way I have done it is by clicking off of the EQ window in windowed mode while strafe running. Clicking off the window will lock in whatever movement you are doing at the moment. So I just hold W+E(strafe right) then left click my start bar and then right click back into the EQ window to return to game. This is the easiest way I've found and its what I do to lock in my strafe run while bard swarming but it is useless if you dont play windowed mode.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:04 AM
Banned

Strafe boosts run speed by 13% just get jboots or sow pots and don’t fuck with strafing unless you have too. The only time you ever need strafe is if you are kiting indoors where you can easily go back out to refresh the above and the mobs aren’t snareable or your too low level to snare in that situation in which case your better off outdoors kiting. There is very very few times where you actually need strafe 99% of everything can be consistently kited without it.
Last edited by Zipity; 01-20-2021 at 08:11 AM..
Old 01-20-2021, 09:07 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBStrong [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The whole idea is to lock-in auto-strafe.
I have never found a way to auto lock in the strafe.

Afaik you can only 'lock' yourself into Forward motion or turning (one or the other), not forward and turning at same time.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:44 AM
Planar Protector

Strafing isnt running and turning at the same time, but regardless, I've always found it to work either by holding W + either turn or strafe and then either pressing enter or just clicking outside EQ. A common trick of people trying to up swimming.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:38 PM
Aviak

I'm afraid that's what I'm coming to terms with Masakizt...
I have basically become proficient in using the strafe turning method, although that means having one finger on the run & strafe buttons for the duration of the kite. That kinda sucks, but is manageable for the smaller scale crowds I have been gathering/practicing with so far in the pre-early teen levels. Down the road, when gathering larger populations, I can't see it being sustainable, so I'll have to figure out how to do it with SoW, or twisting in Selo's. This is my first ever toon on Red so I'll never have JBoots. I don't even know what the MQ would run on that server, but it's more than I'll ever farm- for a Bard, especially.

Legidias, I know I've used the method your speaking of, and yes- definitely used it to max swimming on quite a few toons. However, that does lock in to a VERY tight circle, essentially, just a spiral of a few 'feet/meters' and would be way too close for the purpose of kiting. It is perfect however for the sake of swimming around Lake Rathe for skill ups! I obviously don't understand the mechanics of it, because it works when adding the 'turn' but not adding the 'strafe'.

I'll figure it out one way or the other, as I have pretty much always done. The only thing that has ever held me back from whatever I've wanted to do in this game, is RL- Dangit! lol Play time is just too scarce for all that I want to accomplish.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I always appreciate the shared wisdom from all of you. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-20-2021, 07:09 PM
Large Rat

You can lock in strafe by clicking alt tab and switching to windowed mode. Nothing else I’ve tried works [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread