Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 11-18-2021, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Default Invis shouldn't immediately remove charm until 2002

Apparently, invis on a PC insta breaking charm wasn't in game until after the classic era ended.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/his...es-2002-1.html

February 13, 2002 3:00 am
------------------------------

** General **

** Spell Related **

- Charm is immediately removed from charmed NPC's when the character
that charmed them casts invisibility

Not sure how invis on a PC using charm worked preceding this, but it suggests the current instabreak is incorrect, making charm classes and items like the Goblin Gazughi Ring unclassically powerful.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:41 PM
Banned

Feels right, seconded again.
Old 11-18-2021, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

I was smart enough to make my ench a dark elf, racial innate hide
Old 11-18-2021, 04:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

- Charm is immediately removed from charmed NPC's when the character that charmed them casts invisibility.
To me “casts invisibility” is different than becoming invisible. This doesn’t conclusively state that players turning invisible didn’t cause pet to break prior to the patch.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To me “casts invisibility” is different than becoming invisible. This doesn’t conclusively state that players turning invisible didn’t cause pet to break prior to the patch.
True, there is some room for ambiguity. It could mean when the charmer makes a group mate/pet invisible the charmers pet will instantly break. I don’t think that is right though.

I suspect the way it worked was each tick charm would test to break, and if the owner was invisible that check would fail automatically and this was updated to be instant break when the owner went invisible.

Whatever it is, something must be wrong and needs to change.

Hopefully someone has some experience or documentation to clarify things.

The GGR item page comments on zam does mention the ring is helpful to break charm but doesn’t indicate how long from invis being cast the charm would break.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:50 PM
Orc

This is an odd one. The patch note is confusing.

As you said, the first post on the Alla page for the Goblin Gazughi Ring mentions its usefulness for breaking charm: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/...97578764825769

Furthermore, you can search old enchanter references on charm and see that they were using invis in era to break charm: http://web.archive.org/web/200201261...00887790891333 is one example from Dec 2001: "and ensure the mob dies with your pet nearly dead (nuke if necessary). Then you can invis and take your pet down with 1 nuke and reap double xp" and the reply post (from 2002): "i drop charm for invis when i am ready to break"

They don't say whether or not the pet breaks instantly, but it seems clear that invis was breaking charm in era. I'm sure we could dig around a bit better or have Dolalin search his archives for more examples.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

I see evidence in this April 2001 Kedge Keep raid guide that invis would instantly break a charm:

Quote:
Last updated 17 April 2001

Another solution to this problem is to have invisibility memorized next to your charm spell. After the fight is over, cast invisibility on yourself to break the pet's charm.
https://web.archive.org/web/20010807.../raidkedge.htm
Old 11-24-2021, 12:26 PM
Large Rat

This patch made it so as soon as you started casting invis it broke the charm. I used it all the time in.
Old 11-24-2021, 09:57 PM
Fire Giant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shRteJaPMXw

Check out 3 minutes, I wonder if this works on P99. Using Goblin Gazughi Ring to pull aggro. Includes AE kiting mobs by having a tank run them over AE class and spam ring to maintain aggro. Low HP aggro used the same way. Pretty funny video. Anyway unrelated but saw this thread and the video while looking for something else.
Last edited by azxten; 11-24-2021 at 09:59 PM..