Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 11:33 AM
Orc

Default New to p99 but played classic EQ in 1999 Questions

Nostalgia for old EQ has brought me back. I played a Ranger to 40, Druid to at least 70 through many expansions forget which one I quit on. I also came back to new EQ and played a ready made L85 SK with a merc healer a while but got bored.

Thinking about chanter vs shammy as a new toon. I want something that I can solo easily but still be desirable to a group/raid when I have the time. Are there many people still playing. Which server would be best in late 2021? Any suggestions very welcome.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:25 PM
Aviak

Shammy is robust for soloing with a high degree of survivability for the practiced, as i understand it. It is patient work and your spells will be very expensive. Enchanter is immensely powerful for soloing, but with a high risk of death for acts of carelessness--however, Runes to block damage and the caster self-shields mitigate this heavily, and if youre clever with your crowd control and careful with how you set up encounters, you are basically unkillable.

Also, Shaman and Enchanter are both beloved in groups, but a talented Enchanter can take an average group and make it legendary, with IMMENSE dps boosts from Charmed enemies, Clarity to spread the Mana love and powerful, long-lasting hastes and decent slows.

Personally, although my main is a 60 Druid, I chose the Enchanter life for my primary alt! Shammy is fun, but the glory and might of the Enchanter is worth the squishiness and then some. JBoot MQ highly recommended as an early purchase!

Wishing you best of luck with whatever you choose. ^_^
Old 11-21-2021, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrod99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nostalgia for old EQ has brought me back. I played a Ranger to 40, Druid to at least 70 through many expansions forget which one I quit on. I also came back to new EQ and played a ready made L85 SK with a merc healer a while but got bored.

Thinking about chanter vs shammy as a new toon. I want something that I can solo easily but still be desirable to a group/raid when I have the time. Are there many people still playing. Which server would be best in late 2021? Any suggestions very welcome.
I wrote a longer synopsis, but basically chanter is high risk, high stress, high reward. You will die more often on chanter for sure, but this can be tempered somewhat by your ability to prepare for contingencies

Shaman are more relaxing, less risk, but also much more expensive at the high end. Although chanters are expensive too, yeah luckily cha gear is not that bad but some high level spells will still run 15k to 25k+. Shaman I hear really shine with mana-less clicky's like epic and JBB, which also are going to be expensive

Edit: it's also worth noting that chanters likely have a nerf coming (already proposed by dev), due to a combination of chanter hate/jealousy and fuzzy memories of what charm and classic were really like
Last edited by unsunghero; 11-21-2021 at 11:58 AM..
Old 11-21-2021, 05:59 PM
Banned

Chanters will be fine. If you enjoyed an 85 SK you'll have the chops to play any class.

Do u want to chill or be top dawg?

Both shm, ench can aspire to that.

So can SK, they're a lot different on p99 tho and it will take a year or more to start collecting really decent gear unless you stay logged in three months straight.

Everyone says ogre shm is the best. Ench. Come in close 2cnd.

Necro, druid, bard is hotsauce. Clr, mage is desirable you won't be top gun, though with effort and investment you can do some cool stuff. There was a clr soloing raid mobs with puppet strings on YouTube.

And paladins can solo well for under 10k in gear. If not slowly.
Last edited by starkind; 11-21-2021 at 06:02 PM..
Old 11-22-2021, 02:17 PM
Orc

Which server? Green or Blue?
Old 11-22-2021, 04:14 PM
Planar Protector

Can't go wrong with Enc or Shaman.

I think you'll have more immediate satisfaction with enchanter. A shaman needs level 60, Epic, all their expensive spells, and a good set of gear to really shine.

I'd say start enchanter and if you wind up sticking around you'll have the funds needed for the shaman.

Necro is another good option.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:04 PM
Fire Giant

Ya enc probably best, cheap to gear and groups love them /nod
Old 11-22-2021, 11:13 PM
Sarnak

Also lots of people still play and the community is great. Both servers are thriving though green is where most new people start and has a more robust lowbie community.

Fall in Love with the wiki, it’s such a gift that those who came before us have left to us. Add too it once you’ve got something to share.

Check out this gem to help get the chanter juices flowing https://wiki.project1999.com/Xornns_Enchanter_Guide
Old 11-23-2021, 09:31 AM
Orc

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have made a HIE Enchanter (Faiil) on Green. Hope the name is a good luck token hehe. Got to LV 3 night. I played this game for years back when EQ first came out. I have forgotten so much [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-24-2021, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

Enjoy each step of the journey that is the best part. Don't try to hate-blast thru level 1-59 expecting to enjoy yourself at level 60 only. Try to play the game not to beat it.
Lost but not forgotten.
Closed Thread