Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 11:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspectre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tried Ayillish duo with a druid today, almost got her but adds came and things spiraled from there. DSM you have any advice on pulling her to a safe spot?
https://youtu.be/igpbLuNe0ls this is a video showing me pull Bravatar to shoreline. The spot I am killing Bravatar at is safe from roaming trash.

https://youtu.be/uEgFcImQ9XU This is the other safe spot I normally pull to, which never has issues with roamimg trash.

The Bravatar video shows you how to solo pull across the zone, and it will work the same for Ayillish. As Danth points out, since you have a druid friend it should be much easier with harmony support. Just don't let the dragon fall too far behind or it will leash back and de-agro you.

Edit: I call out those two specific safe spots because not all of the shoreline is safe. There are some areas where roamers path very close to the shoreline, and can agro you. I have had that happen.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 12-17-2021 at 11:50 AM..
Old 12-18-2021, 05:46 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://youtu.be/igpbLuNe0ls this is a video showing me pull Bravatar to shoreline. The spot I am killing Bravatar at is safe from roaming trash.

https://youtu.be/uEgFcImQ9XU This is the other safe spot I normally pull to, which never has issues with roamimg trash.

The Bravatar video shows you how to solo pull across the zone, and it will work the same for Ayillish. As Danth points out, since you have a druid friend it should be much easier with harmony support. Just don't let the dragon fall too far behind or it will leash back and de-agro you.

Edit: I call out those two specific safe spots because not all of the shoreline is safe. There are some areas where roamers path very close to the shoreline, and can agro you. I have had that happen.
Thanks for these. We pulled to the same outcropping you killed Bravatar on this morning. Druid died twice during the pull, but sticking a snare made the difference, as I was able to Root/Camp adds and Ayillish stayed put till we got her solo.

What followed was then a 30-minute battle of attrition but we got her.

Question RE: Ayillish- does she ALWAYS top slot dispel? I kept my SoW clicky on, and occasionally refreshed bracer Ultravision but eventually she wore me down to just POTG despite me having started with 14 buffs. Druid used RotG clicky and DS glove clicky to keep me buffed to protect Torpor.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:43 AM
Planar Protector

No, the standard West Wastes dragons can and do strip buff slots past the first. It isn't totally random like some cancel magic effects, however. If you can protect (through click effects or cheap rapid-cast buffs) about the first four slots you'll only very rarely lose anything beyond--and even then the major cause will be due buff order glitching out.

In the past on P1999 they used to remove top slot only. It was changed some years ago, but older guides might not have been updated, leading to possible confusion.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 12-18-2021 at 08:47 AM..
Old 12-18-2021, 03:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspectre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for these. We pulled to the same outcropping you killed Bravatar on this morning. Druid died twice during the pull, but sticking a snare made the difference, as I was able to Root/Camp adds and Ayillish stayed put till we got her solo.

What followed was then a 30-minute battle of attrition but we got her.

Question RE: Ayillish- does she ALWAYS top slot dispel? I kept my SoW clicky on, and occasionally refreshed bracer Ultravision but eventually she wore me down to just POTG despite me having started with 14 buffs. Druid used RotG clicky and DS glove clicky to keep me buffed to protect Torpor.
Congrats! Glad I could help[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Danth is correct, dispel was changed some years ago, so dispel no longer always targets the first slot. Slots 1-4 are the most common buff slots dispelled, so that is where you want to keep your junk buffs. However, I have noticed some dispels do go after slot 5 and 6 more often (Chardok casters seem to be able to do this more frequently from my experience).

The problem is some mobs dispel A LOT, so they can quickly strip you of all your buffs if you aren't quickly re-applying junk buffs. I do distinctly remember Ayillish doing the same to me when I have fought her in the canyon. If she procs her AoE a lot you may have trouble keeping up your junk buffs. It is possible her dispel is a bit more powerful than the 4+ Dragons as well. It wouldn't surprise me.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:34 PM
Planar Protector

hail teddee, babboie babboie howard sterns penis
Old 12-22-2021, 06:59 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Congrats! Glad I could help[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Danth is correct, dispel was changed some years ago, so dispel no longer always targets the first slot. Slots 1-4 are the most common buff slots dispelled, so that is where you want to keep your junk buffs. However, I have noticed some dispels do go after slot 5 and 6 more often (Chardok casters seem to be able to do this more frequently from my experience).

The problem is some mobs dispel A LOT, so they can quickly strip you of all your buffs if you aren't quickly re-applying junk buffs. I do distinctly remember Ayillish doing the same to me when I have fought her in the canyon. If she procs her AoE a lot you may have trouble keeping up your junk buffs. It is possible her dispel is a bit more powerful than the 4+ Dragons as well. It wouldn't surprise me.
This seems to hold true, as I duo'ed her with a bard yesterday, and even with the bard songs occupying stripped slots I still ended the fight with my buff bar looking like swiss cheese. On the bright side, I got the Talisman for my 46 monk so if I do this again, it's just for fun or to help a guildie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-22-2021, 11:53 AM
Planar Protector

I realized I have the dispel behavior on video for Chardok. If you look here:

https://youtu.be/qS3uoIHTu_c?t=140

A few seconds later I get dispelled on my third and ninth slot. I think what may be happening is higher level mobs use something like Nullify or Annul Magic, which target two buffs instead of one. The first pass of the dispel hits slot 1-4, and then the second pass targets a slot lower down. I wouldn't be surprised if Ayillish has a two buff dispel. Since her dispel is a proc, it can happen a lot faster and more often than a standard caster since it doesn't have a cast time.
Old 12-23-2021, 03:21 AM
Sarnak

Quote:

A few seconds later I get dispelled on my third and ninth slot. I think what may be happening is higher level mobs use something like Nullify or Annul Magic, which target two buffs instead of one. The first pass of the dispel hits slot 1-4, and then the second pass targets a slot lower down. I wouldn't be surprised if Ayillish has a two buff dispel. Since her dispel is a proc, it can happen a lot faster and more often than a standard caster since it doesn't have a cast time.
I see what you are talking about. I'm pretty sure your theory is correct and you're getting Nullified or Annuled there. So the key is to just have a bunch of random clicky junk buffs and play the RNG game with their dispels. Ayillish seems to be able to hit slot 1-4, with 1 and 2 being more common than 3 and 4. So the only way to truly safeguard your buffs vs her would be to have 4 insta-click junk buffs.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:03 AM
Planar Protector

Default west wastes specials and other cancel magic effects

Quote:

Ayillish has the exact same AE and single dispell as all the regular west wastes dragons. It hits a little more often because Ayillish himself is higher level than the weaker +4 dragons, but his effect is the same. Last time I fought him (just this past week) I lost absolutely no buffs except junk buffs--as usual. By far the largest cause of losing buffs beyond the first four will be either failure to re-apply a junk buff in time, or glitching buff order. Your client can and will de-synch with the host with respect to which order your buffs are in, and this happens more commonly if you're applying a new buff very rapidly after a different one fades (such as if a torpor lands immediately after a strip). Bard songs will *frequently* result in this type of glitching out. It can be fixed by removal of the offending buffs if you can identify them, or more easily by zoning or re-logging. Otherwise, once in a very great while--maybe once in every 20 or 25 dragon kills--I might lose a slot 5 spell.

Aiyllish's special (and other dragons using this same ability) is NOT a proc in the sense EQ players usually use the term. He can and does use it even when he is not engaged in direct melee. It's more of a no mana cost spell with no cast time. It has a wider radius than player spells but CAN be out-ranged while pulling him. Compare that to Ice Burrowers, whose own AE effect is indeed a melee proc and will never fire at all if they are not directly engaged in melee with a target.

Other types of cancel magic effects have different behaviors. Some still strip fixed slots while others remove slots seemingly at random. It varies with each individual effect and there's nothing to do about it except memorize as many as possible.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 12-23-2021 at 10:13 AM..
Old 12-23-2021, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ayillish has the exact same AE and single dispell as all the regular west wastes dragons. It hits a little more often because Ayillish himself is higher level than the weaker +4 dragons, but his effect is the same. Last time I fought him (just this past week) I lost absolutely no buffs except junk buffs--as usual. By far the largest cause of losing buffs beyond the first four will be either failure to re-apply a junk buff in time, or glitching buff order. Your client can and will de-synch with the host with respect to which order your buffs are in, and this happens more commonly if you're applying a new buff very rapidly after a different one fades (such as if a torpor lands immediately after a strip). Bard songs will *frequently* result in this type of glitching out. It can be fixed by removal of the offending buffs if you can identify them, or more easily by zoning or re-logging. Otherwise, once in a very great while--maybe once in every 20 or 25 dragon kills--I might lose a slot 5 spell.

Aiyllish's special (and other dragons using this same ability) is NOT a proc in the sense EQ players usually use the term. He can and does use it even when he is not engaged in direct melee. It's more of a no mana cost spell with no cast time. It has a wider radius than player spells but CAN be out-ranged while pulling him. Compare that to Ice Burrowers, whose own AE effect is indeed a melee proc and will never fire at all if they are not directly engaged in melee with a target.

Other types of cancel magic effects have different behaviors. Some still strip fixed slots while others remove slots seemingly at random. It varies with each individual effect and there's nothing to do about it except memorize as many as possible.

Danth
Yes I apologize, I shouldn't have said proc. I know it isn't a proc (the Ice Burrowers have a proc AoE, which means it cannot trigger while they aren't hitting you), whereas Dragon AoEs can trigger regardless. I think my brain said proc because I assume the AoE trigger rate is similar to how procs work when you are meleeing. They have an average trigger rate per minute, but RNG can make it happen more or less often. I may be wrong on that, but that has been my assumption.

When you are talking about the buff glitching, are you implying buffs can be out of order even if they appear in order on the client? I have seen my buffs re-arrange themselves when zoning, and I always re-apply them in the desired order when that occurs. It sounds like you are saying the client and server actually desync at some point while you are in a zone, and you can only determine this occurred by zoning. The process of zoning has the server send a fresh update to your buff order, and thus it gets updated on your client. That is really good to know if true, as I thought the buff re-arranging issue was a zoning specific problem, not a client-server desync issue.

I haven't fought Ayillish in a while, and I don't like killing her for fun if I don't have a friend/buyer/alt lined up for the 6+, so I was just guessing as to what her dispel is. I have had most of my buffs stripped before by Ayillish, but that was probably due to being unlucky and getting AoEed while casting spells. That is another problem with instant cast dispels, they are even more problematic when casting spells with long cast times like Epic click, as you cannot re-apply your junk buffs while casting unless you interrupt yourself.