Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 09:57 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Paladins??

I am wanting to come play P99 but wanted to know how needed are Paladins? I know Enc is good class but i like a lot of paladin stuff. I.E. Nature's Defender, Soulfire and the class armor looks cool imo.. lol

Thanks in advance
Old 12-13-2021, 09:59 PM
Banned

Paladins are the best rly. For the low low price of a pally only weapon and dw helm u can basically solo everything after lvl 46 if you're patient and it doesn't summon.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:07 PM
Fire Giant

Plus they might be (just guessing) the least played class? Which if so can be another fun reason to play one.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:10 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Good deal. I will probably play a paladin then. I played one as my 1st toon back in Dec 17th 1999. I still have the toon active and i still pay for my account.. all these years! lol... I just cannot part with him. Lol TY guys for making my decision easy lol
Old 12-14-2021, 12:17 AM
Planar Protector

What race is your original pally ?

Yeah paladins are great.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:45 AM
Planar Protector

If you always keep a charged soulfire on hand, you'll be a welcomed asset to any raid guild.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:26 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus189 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...I know Enc is good class but ...
Why does it matter about other classes? If you want to play a Paladin, play a Paladin!
Why would you even consider any other class if Paladin is the one that you are interested in? Who cares what anyone else thinks? Be the best Paladin you can be, just go out there and crush it.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:55 AM
Orc

Paladins are a great class, I played one from Dec 1999 thru Oct 2004. They are a late bloomer class as they get most of the good toolkit later on 50 +. Sadly the Luclin, and Planes of Power expansions which we`ll never see made them really OP.

Luclin added two low lvl, low cost fast cast stuns, which helped lvl 7, and 13, self haste spell, self hot, more hp buffs, damage procs, group heals etc.

As far as grouping , mob trying to gate, or complete heal, stun, group has to many mobs, and cc is struggling, root park some out of the way, enc pet break, stun to get aggro, and tank mez, while enchanter debuffs, and recharms, can spot off heal group, saving cleric mana, soloing undead is fun.

raided from 2000 thru 2004, we killed, farmed every raid target in every expansion, from Classic, thru VP, Sleepers Tomb, except Kherym the sleeper, but farmed Warders, AOW, etc, Everything in Luclin, Vex Thall and rest, Planes of Power, all the Gods, and everything in Plane of Time.

We never had pallies around just for a charged Soulfire lol , we used them, as Rampage Tanks, off tanks, helping off heal their group. I see a lot of Pallies, trying to offtank adds, and turn on attack, damage them , and causing them to summon, lol. There's no real need as a pally to turn on attack in order to get aggro, non damage stuns, taunt, and casting root over, and over, and flash of light on it, are normally enough to establish aggro, esp if you are just grabbing aggro until adds are mezed if they can be, or charmed, all that does is screw up the CC.

When we fought Emp in SSra Temple, Pallies off tanked his adds, same as Rathe Council during POP, I even tanked Bertox in Plane of Time.

We`ll never get to Luclin, or Planes of Power, but they can still be effective, and are great group tanks, Alot focus on the Warrior aspect of the class, and neglect the caster side, depending on gear, you can do more than just tank.

Once I joined a group in Plane of valor, I was way over geared, non raid pallies, had around 5400 hp, and 1k mana, I had little over 9k hp, and 3k mana. I was able to be puller, tank, and only healer, and we still killed just as fast as when they had a separate tank, and a cleric, but that was with best gear on server, and with Luclin, and POP spell kit. We`ll never see those here.

Try and get later on, 150 or so str is fine with buffs you`ll be close to 200 str, or higher, pally melee damage while is okay, it`s your spells, and utility, that make you shine. aim for high hp, with a mana pool 25 to 30 % of your hp pool. and you`ll be fine.
Last edited by Dirkdaring; 12-14-2021 at 12:21 PM..
Old 12-14-2021, 03:01 PM
Sarnak

People here are being nice. I also like Paladins. Paladins are fun but they are above all a group tank, and there are some serious limitations which make them the least popular class in the game.

They lack the tools to be a raid tank. The only real raid tanks are Warriors due to their defensive discipline. Best case, you are picking up some trash.

Shadowknights are far more popular than Paladins for a few good reasons:
(1) Shadowknights get much more useful utility spells, including feign death, fear, snare, and invisibility
(2) Shadowknights can play the larger races that have better tank stats
(3) Shadowknights spell set lends itself more to dealing damage, while paladin spell set is more oriented to healing and mitigating

The problem here is that when you are not in a group role and you want to do anything else...travel, solo farm...shadowknights have it easier than paladins. Mobs in Everquest hit hard at higher levels. By being able to fear kite mobs, Shadowknights have a way to farm. Paladins have to just beat down the mob, root the mob, back up and try to heal up. It's far less efficient.

Instead of playing paladin, I usually opt for Ranger. They have a similar aesthetic, can tank at lower levels, but have better DPS and a better set of utility spells for travel and soloing .
Old 12-14-2021, 04:41 PM
Fire Giant

We need more paladins /nod.