Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

I hate hte luclin models. Their style sucks balls, except maybe the Barbarian or the Lizards. The problem is they don't have any character and they're too young/muscled for my tastes. The human males, for example, all have wrestler bodies. Doesn't work for me if I'm playing a caster. There's no option to play a skinny male human. The classic human model is inbetween. It's neither skinny or hulkish. That's why it works better. And the classic models have facial variety like broken teeth, ugly faces, old faces, etc. Compared to the luclin models... bleh. The distance between eyes/mouth/nose is the same on a luclin model no matter what texture you use. The classic models use a texture exclusively, although the head is still the same dimensions. The reason this is so is because classic models were trying to reduce polygons overall--including the face. On the outside it seems less detailed with fewer polys, but what it really does is free up the texture artist to make more varied faces.

What I'd like is for us to be able to select whether someone else can see our luclin model or not. Because to me what you select in character creation is what you want others to see. That's the way it should be. If you think others should be able to decide whether they say the classic or luclin model then fine. Something like this:
1) [ ] - They can't see the luclin version
or
2) [ ] - They can't see the classic version
or
3) [ ] - They can see whatever they choose

If the luclin models JUST had more polygons it wouldn't be a probem for me at all, but they change much more than that. I'm definitely not loose on this topic like some players are. I feel what we select and wear is what others should see.

Now what we perceive our appearance to be isn't the same as what others perceive. For example, I might love the broken teeth on my character's face. I might also like his smile. However, someone else might not. Or maybe they think the model sucks. For example, some people like hte luclin models and want those instead, whereas I dislike most of them. HOWEVER, what I select my appearance to be and what I wear should still be what others see, regardless of what they ultimately perceive.

Bottom line: What we see is not the same thing as what we perceive.

And I'd live with this even if most of the players out there were forcing me to see luclin models. Just as long as I can select my classic half elf or human and force others to see that instead of the new model then fine. Even if 99 of every 100 wizard humans were using the (wrestler) luclin model. Really is fine with me if others prefer that over the classic.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 09-16-2015 at 03:18 PM..
Old 09-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

Best thing about Velious is that PoP is only 2 expansions away now.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Aviak

Luclin model work around....not classic.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:04 PM
Planar Protector

I hope some kind of detection for that workaround gets patched in.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by andvarion [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Luclin models offer higher resolution textures and higher polygon-count meshes. That's great for still images like screen shots.

But that is literally all they have going for them. Why do I never see anybody mention how terribly they're animated? They run - and I hate to use such a stupid phrase - quite literally like they have a stick in their ass. They run like their joints aren't meant for full ranges of motion. They attack like they are swatting a misbehaving child on the wrist. They swing swords like they are weightless.
I disagree completely. The old animations were disgustingly horrible and robotic, like almost no two joints could move at the same time. And don't get me started on the horrible Iksar swimming. Yuck! The Luclin animations were across the board improvements.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:31 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriverse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree completely. The old animations were disgustingly horrible and robotic, like almost no two joints could move at the same time. And don't get me started on the horrible Iksar swimming. Yuck! The Luclin animations were across the board improvements.
Iksar swimming? How about Iksar sitting? That one really makes it so I don't want to roll an Iksar.. I know, it's silly.
Closed Thread