Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Large Bat

Default Wiz vs Dru

Hello everyone, im currently dieing to play on P1999 but am limited due to no internet access at home and no laptop to carry to a coffee shop or library. So im stuck reading everyones daily posts and talking about EQ at home constantly to myself to help the fiending, borderline scratching at the neck.

Anyway, I played EQ live from early 2000 till 2008 then on/off though 09 and ive leveled every class to 45+ except a druid or wizard.

OK so help me decide.
My opinions:
Druid:
--Pros--
-excellent solo abilities
-Healing
-Porting
-Awsome buffs
-Sow(which gets its own tab cause its THAT awsome)
-Track(which i believe gives a huge leveling curb over others due to first dibs on mobs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])
--Cons--
-Cant think of any really other than ive heard that there are ALOT of druids on P1999.

Wizard:
-Awsome nukes
-Ports
-Ive heard some solo abilities(such as root n nuke method)
-Also highly wanted for DPS
--Cons--
-Researching
-Low hitpoints
-alot more group dependant

Now ive done the whole raiding 5+ days a week and it was fun for awhile but got very boring to me. So since i have another chance i figured i would spend most of my time doing old school quests and stuff that i missed out on cause well lol i was dumb and young when i first started. So i plan to do more questing, tradeskills, and twink item farming.

Suggestions? pls also thro in your own pro/con opinions on the 2 classes if you so wish

Sincerely,
EQfiend
Last edited by Glad8tor; 08-06-2010 at 01:31 PM..
Old 08-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

Druid's a lot more efficient at soloing and is slightly more desirable in groups. They get self-sow obviously at 14, so they're already a better 1st character....Think of not being able to do the jboots quest until like 29+...

If you have no preference, go druid. I went wizard specifically because I wanted the uniqueness of a wizard - and it's not easy, but it's what I want to do.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Large Bat

Wizard:

Pro - You are not a druid.

Druid:

Con - You are a druid.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Planar Protector

Wizards are much more one-dimensional, focused almost purely on DPS (aside from a few 'utility' abilities such as porting - which druids also have)

Druid is basically "jack-of-all-trades - master-of-most". If you prefer to be a DPS, go with Wizard. Otherwise, Druid is the call - among the top 3 solo/farmer in the game. Top 3 healer, top 3 buffer, utility spells out the wazoo - best root, best snare, best DoTs as far as damage to mana ratio.

Of course, Druid also gets SoW which can't be underestimated [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Think of not being able to do the jboots quest until like 29+...
Or you could just be bound in EC and get an sow from the 10-15 druids just standing around. Also just get sow pots worth the 10p a dose if you are past 30 and are trying to solo.

As far as the group desirability goes I think early on druids are easier to group cause wizard nukes aren't super powerful yet and everyone needs a healer. After level 30 though when most groups have a bard/chanter for mana regen, and everyone wants a cleric in the group cause druid/shaman heals just don't cut it anymore. There are plenty of groups that still like having that second healer for buffs/dps/backup healing.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Large Bat

Loving the posts so far and it seems like druids:2 Wizards:2 so far lol

less opinions more decisons!

Sincerely,
EQfiend
Old 08-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or you could just be bound in EC and get an sow from the 10-15 druids just standing around. Also just get sow pots worth the 10p a dose if you are past 30 and are trying to solo.

As far as the group desirability goes I think early on druids are easier to group cause wizard nukes aren't super powerful yet and everyone needs a healer. After level 30 though when most groups have a bard/chanter for mana regen, and everyone wants a cleric in the group cause druid/shaman heals just don't cut it anymore. There are plenty of groups that still like having that second healer for buffs/dps/backup healing.
Between 15-30, it's kind of time-consuming to get a sow and then run back to your hunting area. It's not usually worth it in terms of exp efficiency. Not that I need sow to hunt - I just go without it. But it is a big plus to be able to sow yourself.

I always had a very difficult time finding a group as a wizard on live...
Old 08-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Aviak

Default ...

Be a Druid.

IF you choose a wizard, you trade away dots, long lasting snare, damage shield, heals, stat and hitpoint buffs, sow, regen and more - basicly a shitload of utility and survivability. All for a very trivial increase in pure short term direct damage. Not worth it in my opinion.

Druids are awesome at everything you can do in this game, indoor or outdoors, grouped or not, they do it all well - and on top of that, druids are more or less permanently lubed up for a safe escape if things go wrong.

But hey, if you like watching big numbers more than being awesome, by all means, roll a wizard.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Aviak

Ya I was more referring to after 30 when soloing you kinda need sow. Before 30 I wasn't soloing much or if i did I didn't really need sow. I didn't play a wizard on live, but pre 30 wasn't really hard finding a group. I'm now 40 now and it is hard to find a group, but I think that is mostly due to there not being alot of 40-50 groups.

And all the good solo spots for 40-50 are camped to death.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Be a Druid.

IF you choose a wizard, you trade away dots, long lasting snare, damage shield, heals, stat and hitpoint buffs, sow, regen and more - basicly a shitload of utility and survivability. All for a very trivial increase in pure short term direct damage. Not worth it in my opinion.

Druids are awesome at everything you can do in this game, indoor or outdoors, grouped or not, they do it all well - and on top of that, druids are more or less permanently lubed up for a safe escape if things go wrong.

But hey, if you like watching big numbers more than being awesome, by all means, roll a wizard.
But I like my big numbers =(
Closed Thread