Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 12:34 PM
Sarnak

Yep, I remember it being down, then coming back up briefly, then being down/login not working again. I just assumed he took it down for good and someone else put up a similarly named server, but I guess it makes more sense that it's the same one, just with continuing issues. It's rare that I get the urge to play on there so I probably won't delve further into it, but thank you for posting that link. It's nice to know where I can try to contact him if I do want to get in touch with him.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Kobold

Why not just go to the EZ server?
Old 06-12-2017, 08:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by username17 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There was a post back in March about it and the owner brought it back online.
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=253439

I haven't had a need for it since I setup my own EQ server so I haven't been on it to check it out.
Edit: Just tested. It kicks me to login whenever I try. So the server isn't properly running. You can try reaching out to the owner via EQEmu forums if it matters.
I'd give you my VM image for it but it's 20GB.
This server was the best for exploring / getting a feel for zones / etc etc.

Such a shame it's offline.. was fun while it lasted.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:30 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by username17 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There was a post back in March about it and the owner brought it back online.
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=253439

I haven't had a need for it since I setup my own EQ server so I haven't been on it to check it out.
Edit: Just tested. It kicks me to login whenever I try. So the server isn't properly running. You can try reaching out to the owner via EQEmu forums if it matters.
I'd give you my VM image for it but it's 20GB.
Could you put the VM on google drive or dropbox or sthing?
Old 06-13-2017, 12:32 AM
Fire Giant

Yeah I was looking at it earlier and while the VM file is 20GB I'm only using ~4gb. I'm at work now but when I get home I can resize it to ~5gb and upload it.
I'm using Virtualbox. In order to connect you'll need to setup a bridged connection. Once you get the server up and running it will actually show up in the server list far below P99. But you'll be the only one who can connect to it unless you forward ports etc. This is a Linux VM so you'll need some basic Linux knowledge as there's no GUI installed. I'll write a brief readme and put it up on the dropbox.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:55 AM
Banned

it only takes ~1000 hrs /played to deck out a level 1 iksar into an ubertwink fungi monk

consider yourself warned
Old 06-13-2017, 02:56 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is this your monk?
Nope.
Quote:
4 hotbars! Must be hard.
Here's how a Monk maximizes his DPS on p99:
He aims for the best weapons and haste. Oh and remembers to click Flying Kick.
I'll thrown in a bone here for mob positioning, cause why not

Here's how a Monk maximizes his DPS on Live:
He aims for the best weapons and haste
He also doesn't forget about that Flying Kick button
But with that Flying Kick button he (OR SHE but let's be real) has an entire hot bar set aside to linked combat attacks/discs that run on separate timers and another for a near constant refresh/cycle of DPS boosting discs that also run on different timers and it's up to you to keep on top of.
And don't forget your Mends, your FDs, your insta-Fade FD, your etc. Haven't played in awhile so maybe I was reaching with 4 (probably thinking of my veteran AA stuff) but 3 easily.

And the biggest difference here is that if you're not doing those things, your DPS kind of sucks. A DPS class with kind of shitty DPS isn't really a very good DPS class, now is it.

Getting into the minutiae of gameplay on high end Live and high end p99 is literally no comparison.

Am I saying it's "Hard" as in impossible? Well, no. Of course not. That's stupid. Even I managed to do it and I'm not the best Monk in the history of evers. But I'm pretty good.

But it's absolutely harder than what someone on p99 can do/has to worry about.

I am only speaking authoritatively on Monks because it's the only class on which I have anything resembling any authority (and I don't have much of that, either)

But to my understanding, it's much the same for every other class.

Even Live Warriors, because they have a lot more skills on hand to manage aggro and defense, have to do a lot more in a raid/group than any p99 Warrior will ever try and fail to have to do.

p99 is waaaay the fuck more unforgiving and is "harder" in a few specific senses, but as far as gameplay is concerned, Live is harder all the way. Let's take off the Verant coloured glasses for a minute, here.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:58 AM
Sarnak

But mostly I'm sad there's no GM server to dick around in.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:02 AM
Banned

It is a crime against nature that Live over time got away from Monk being THE pulling class. 4 hotbars good god.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:16 AM
Fire Giant

Having someone test out the VDI file and my written instructions. Once I confirm we're gtg I'll release the dropbox link to the server I setup.
Note, there is some setup involved still to get it working on your PC. Some Linux knowledge will be needed.
Closed Thread