Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Fire Giant

At what point, exactly, has the server staff told anyone "to eat a bag of dicks?"

The server went down for a few hours. Now it's up. Grow the fuck up.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightblade [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should understand that, while some of these people play for free and do just that, a lot of folks have donated HUNDREDS of dollars to the upkeep of the servers, while others have volunteered man-hours to crowdsource problems that the original team just doesn't have time to hit effectively.

Think you're the one who needs to check perspective; volunteers/hobbyists or not, you host a community like this, you have a certain amount of accountability and responsibility to them.
You're an idiot.
Mithras Firehealer - 60 cleric
Gurig Fireplague - 53 necro
Umphrey McGee - 55 magician
Loden Arrows - 46 ranger
Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightblade [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm. Let's walk through the progression here.

You run an entirely volunteer effort out of your own pocket. Hurts the pocket to do it on your own. As a result, donations are taken to help take the load off by those of a like mind.

You then turn around and tell those people to eat a bag of dicks. Donations, understandably, stop.

In a position where you're offering up a service, it behooves you to offer an explanation, however brief, as to the nature of problems that affect people that essentially stop your wallet from bleeding if you want this project to go on.
Touche Sir, Show your true colors, It was 1AM! Do they live to serve us? I guess they should take a sleeping rotation?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Too bad this isn't a pvp server. If it were I would see some corpse camping in someones future.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Too bad this isn't a pvp server. If it were I would see some corpse camping in someones future.
From now until the next server crash!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekapaug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The server went down for a few hours. Now it's up. Grow the fuck up.
^^
Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Planar Protector

By definition, a donation has a lack of return consideration. This means: you donate; they owe you nothing. Even organ recipients owe donors nothing for saving their lives. Sure, your continued support is based on your continued enjoyable experience. Devs understand that (I'm sure they actually understand that better than anyone), but they still owe no one anything.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Aviak

"Dude, Sorry, server crashed, we were asleep, it was 2 in the morning, eat a bag of dicks" they probably would never say that, but I would totally say that. If I was an unpaid under-appreciated developer who tried like hell to keep this project alive despite the continued criticism and general whine-bagginess of a few unwashed nerds who can't wrap their heads around the fact they get to play for free....I would TOTALLY say that.

Love you Guys!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Orc

Send a message via AIM to Medowin

I don't mind server crashes once in a while, but it would be nice to at least get an explanation or an ETA when it happens.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Kobold

Send a message via AIM to papercolor

Glad the servers are back up. What ever happened good job at fixing it!!
Closed Thread