Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:07 PM
Planar Protector

Default 60 enc: Fetter or lvl 4 mez in spell slot #1 ?

I have mez in #1 but pondering switching to fetter.

I charm kill a lot and of course use both spells constantly in places like HS or Velk etc.

Thoughts?
Old 02-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Orc

I see this first spell slot referenced a lot, what exactly does it do on P99? I don't remember it being special on live but that was a long time ago.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:56 PM
Aviak

The first spell slot can be reset with a GCD resetter so that you can quickly cast it again. No other spell slots are capable of this.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:36 AM
Orc

A GCD reset such as Kromzek Surveyor Scope? Because that seems to refresh all my gems. I've tried to put FD in the first slot but it won't allow me to bypass the spell recast timer.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:08 AM
Aviak

Yeah. So there is the GCD, and then every spell has its own recast timer. So when you cast Mesmerize, for instance, you'll notice that once the GCD is over the button may still be grayed out for a period of time. Spells in the first slot are castable during this time if you use any clicky. There's a caveat, though. The spell still can't finish casting until after it's individual cooldown has passed. So, as long as the casting time of the spell itself is longer than the spell's cooldown, you can use a clicky to immediately start casting the spell in your first slot after you've casted it.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

On my enchanter I use slot 1 for swap. This allows me to memorize charm, tash, slow, buffs, etc when I need them (especially useful for chaining buffs on group mates). I put level 4 mez in 3 and Fetter in 4. Situations where I need to spam Fetter are usually predictable and I'll move it to slot 1 ahead of time. I can't really see a need to put level 4 mez in slot 1 as I always have Mesmerization on the bar.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:45 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premaximum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The first spell slot can be reset with a GCD resetter so that you can quickly cast it again. No other spell slots are capable of this.
So, this means Slot#1 resets faster than the others after using an instant clicky?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beinen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, this means Slot#1 resets faster than the others after using an instant clicky?
No, it means that spell slot 1 can be used to spam the same spell over and over with the clicky reset, as long as the spell finishes casting after its internal reset time. You can fetter, reset, fetter, reset, fetter and get the spells off much faster than waiting for the normal cooldown.

The other spellslots can only be chained with the clicky reset if you use different spells in the sequence. You can /cast 3, reset, and quickly /cast 4. But you can't /cast 3, reset, and quickly /cast 3 again.

But the "slot 1" trick won't work with spells that have a long recast time, so you cannot for example use theft of thought in slot 1 in order to rapidly spam theft of thought (but oh, if you could!).
@EndorraFeyborne Discord
Old 03-28-2017, 06:22 AM
Sarnak

Affirmative, thank you.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:53 AM
Sarnak

I like having mez on spell slot 1 because when charm breaks, you want to be able to mez your break first then re-assess the situation. Root/Mez are essentially the same things but lets say you are in a corner and accidently root, now your up against a wall with a mob stunning you. Another consideration is summoning pets when rooting versus mezzing especially in HS south and East.
Closed Thread