Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 01:42 PM
Aviak

Default Why do you denounce other player ?

Hello, not so long time reader, first time poster...

As the title summarizes it, why some of us denounce others without a shred of inquiry or interaction before hand ?

A little bit of background : I was playing with a friend in Perma, he was helping me PL in one of the most empty zone of the server at any time of the day when we both had the surprise to see a GM appears out of thin air. Drop group, join group, port to Unrest, boxing test, pass test and back to Perma. It took 15 mins max. The GM was very cool and I asked him why ? Answer : a petition was filed some days/weeks ago that I /we were boxing...
As simple as that. a baseless accusation wasted our time, mine, my friend’s and the GM’s.

All it took was a simple line with /petition in front from a anonymous person that surely didn’t event think twice about it.

Personal background : I am french and denunciation is a big moral and cultural dilemna in my country because of world war 2 and the occupation of france by the nazi. «*Good citizens*» at the time told the police and the nazy where they could find Jews who then were deported to camps. Which means that even 70 years later, denunciation is mostly used by people with an axe to grind against someone they envy. Jealous of your neighbour, write an anonymous letter to the French IRS, and all kind of variation.

So back to my question : why do it ? What is the personal/moral justification we/you use when you denounce someone. Why do we take up the mantle of justice and we denounce without even tryin to interact with the suspect first ?

I want to add that this is neither ranting or flaming, just a genuine question about a behavior I literally don’t understand and will never reciprocate.

Any insight is welcome and thx again to Blistig for being courteous during the whole process.

Side note : this is one of the most destabilizing experience I ve had in this game. I m still reeling from it, from the feeling of randomness and helplessness against my accuser. Uncanny might be the term.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:50 PM
Kobold

Evidently it appeared you were boxing to someone.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:00 PM
Planar Protector

I agree, having to submit to a boxing test is very similar to being turned in to the Nazi occupation by your countrymen.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:09 PM
Aviak

I'm sorry, did you just compare being asked to prove you weren't breaking server rules to *checks notes* the fucking Holocaust?
Old 09-02-2020, 02:14 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree, having to submit to a boxing test is very similar to being turned in to the Nazi occupation by your countrymen.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:16 PM
Sarnak

That escalated quickly.

I wouldn't take it personal. This server takes a pretty serious no-tolerance stance on boxing and your quick little random 15 minute experience is one of the best ways to catch boxers. With limited volunteer CSR staff, the community is big on self-policing the no boxing policy so players report suspected boxers. Sounds like you were okay so I wouldn't think too much more about it.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:18 PM
Sarnak

So you port to Unrest for a boxing test? Why not "test" them right there? I don't get it.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

Not sure but the only time I've ever seen boxing tests its always right out in front of the maze in the Unrest courtyard so its a thing the GM's do for some reason.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:23 PM
Fire Giant

Cause people box a lot and most time only get caught when people report it. They are just trying to keep server free of cheaters who box. If your innocent nothing to worry about. If guilty most usually go ld and come back to a suspension.

In like 2010/11 it was instant perma ban if caught boxing, now I think it's just a suspension on 1st offense.

But ya I wouldn't look at it from a negative point but more of a positive cause it helps keep servers free of boxing which is 100% why eq live sucks. /Nod.

They do fountain test cause it's the best way to test for boxing. Nearly impossible to run two toons around fountains without looking obvious.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allishia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In like 2010/11 it was instant perma ban if caught boxing, now I think it's just a suspension on 1st offense.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is an instant permaban on Green for boxing.
Closed Thread