Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 09:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its the celts that were druids. I could not know, but everything to the east had more of a brute warrior image (Even if they weren't.)

I am biased though, even though barbarian could still be druid, I still think Native Americans are the true rangers.
Pretty sure Scottish people running around the highlands with bow and arrow and swords constitute Rangers. I mean they even have a soccer team called Rangers. But I’m not trying to say one group is more deserving of term ranger than another.. I’m sure Mongols and African hunters also constitute rangers.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:50 PM
Fire Giant

Or welsch. Yea I know but /shrugs
Old 03-29-2021, 01:43 AM
Sarnak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Gnome Monks FTW
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Last edited by greenspectre; 03-29-2021 at 01:46 AM..
Old 03-29-2021, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

Barbarian bard is probably the #1 thing that could fit for the ultimate OP bard race but mostly because they obviously play bagpipes.

Rangers in barbarian world are just warriors. They don't use druidic magic in the Norrath tradition, thats what their shamans do.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

waste down fist
Old 03-29-2021, 12:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Halfling SK should be an option, and if you choose it your account gets deleted
Bristlebane giveth, Bristlebane taketh away. LOL.

I'd like characters to be able to start on the Karana Bandit faction, which would also open up the Half Elf Wizard choice, of which a good number of bandits are.
Last edited by Jimjam; 03-29-2021 at 12:14 PM..
Old 03-29-2021, 01:09 PM
Fire Giant

Erudite Monk
Red99: 60 Ranger / 60 Rogue / 60 Monk / 60 Necro / 55 Wiz / 54 Paladin / 54 Bard / 48 Druid
Old 04-01-2021, 12:22 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

To answer the original question, Barbarian paladin and it's not even close.

Barbarians would be such good paladins with their high strength and stamina, and while their wisdom isn't great, it's still not as bad as Half Elves. And a paladin with slam? Yes please. Not to mention that Barbs look great in plate armor IMO. Plus, as has been pointed out earlier, Barbarians were created by the Marr twins, so it would seem very natural for them to be able to be paladins and worship Mithaniel or Erollisi. The counter-argument, I suppose, would be that Barbs are too crude and unsophisticated to fit the archetypical nobility that a paladin should possess.

To get into the tangential topic that this post brought up (the "what should have happened" in terms of races and classes):
  • Erudite monks
  • Halfling bards
  • Half Elf clerics
  • Half Elf necromancers
  • Dark elf bards

Erudites should be able to be monks. The inner quest for enlightenment would fit well with their intellectual nature, and Quellious is one of the Erudites' primary gods already, so it would make sense to have a monastery in Erudin. The counter-argument might be that Erudites simply don't possess a physical enough nature to rely on only their bodies for their survival (but I don't really agree with that--they are human, after all). Additionally, I think the Silent Fist clan in Qeynos should not be agnostic, but worship Quellious, as it would be reasonable that belief in Quellious would have spread on the western half of the world. In a similar vein, it would make sense if the Ashen Order, in Freeport, should worship the Marr twins, given that there is a sphere of influence there already.

Halfling bards make a lot of sense to me because, as many others before me have pointed out, halflings are the prime example of hospitality and relaxed and lighthearted fun. As rustic as they are, you're telling me halflings never get together for song and dance? I guess the reason it didn't happen is because they might have been too OP as bards, with such high dex and the potential to have solid strength as well.

Half Elves should be able to be clerics because, as someone else pointed out, they can be paladins (Tunare-worshipping paladins, no less), so why not be consistent with either their Elf or their Human half and be able to be clerics as well? As for them being necromancers, it doesn't seem like a stretch for some of them to be half Dark Elf, and those that were could start in Neriak and practice the dark arts.

As for Dark Elf bards, I think it makes a lot of sense from a roleplay/lore perspective. Dark Elves have a sophisticated society, and even though it seems to have a rigid hierarchical structure, Dark Elves take on a wide range of tasks in Neriak--from sinister necromancers to your typical barkeep. Plus, given the ordered way that Dark Elves worship Innoruuk, it would make since that they would have a lot of song and music to praise their god. On top of all of that, Innoruuk definitely has a musical theme going in the Plane of Hate (Maestro of Rancor, anyone?), so it almost seems odd that the Dark Elves would not gravitate toward music, also.

I'm sure we could all go on and on about "what should have been done" (I certainly could), but most of the other stuff I have to say on that topic wouldn't fit this thread as well.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:04 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekk99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To answer the original question, Barbarian paladin and it's not even close.
Eurdite monk would be ok. It may feel border-line lore. However, for border-line lore, like Gnome Pal it would be cool if that one class combo was needed for a specific quest.

Definately Dark elf Bard for pvp.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:08 AM
Sarnak

Gnoll (no, not Gnome) Bard
Closed Thread