Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 07:10 PM
Planar Protector

Default Weapon question - Ranger

I’m a level 27 ranger. I currently have Wurmslayer, Winter’s Fury, Guard Captains Mallet, and Lamentation. Out of these four what should I use primary and secondary for maximum dps? I also have 34% haste belt.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:57 AM
Planar Protector

None. Buy a Woodsman's Staff and use that probably until your 50 at least - probably 60 or until you have offhand epic.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 07-01-2021, 08:42 AM
Sarnak

He speaks the true true
Old 07-01-2021, 09:23 AM
Planar Protector

Yea woodmans until 50 then epic OH and sboz primary or blam stick primary
Old 07-01-2021, 09:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
None. Buy a Woodsman's Staff and use that probably until your 50 at least - probably 60 or until you have offhand epic.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:04 AM
Planar Protector

A woodsman, exquisite 2h or Herbalist’s Spade is going to outdamage almost any weapon setup from 30 until almost 50. Your dual wield cap is low and the ratios aren’t as good as a 2h. The spade is going to ruin your animal reverse kiting fun but for most that tapers off at around 50 anyways. The downfall is consistency since a 2h double max hit can really change the course of a fight where a string of minimums can have you behind the eightball. Over time it all averages out but the curve for quick 1h’s is less jagged.

I had a woodsman and cloak of crystalline waters until 58 prior to the 2h update. It worked great with nukes but even back then without casting was passable dps. The epic (or epics) is a fun goal but a droppable solid 2h works great.
Last edited by Snaggles; 07-01-2021 at 10:08 AM..
Old 07-01-2021, 10:18 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBerta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I’m a level 27 ranger. I currently have Wurmslayer, Winter’s Fury, Guard Captains Mallet, and Lamentation. Out of these four what should I use primary and secondary for maximum dps? I also have 34% haste belt.
If you want to stick with the 2 1 handed weapons (because not everyone is min/maxing) then Wurmslayer in MH and winters fury offhand.

You’ll want to calculate the ratio of your main hand including damage bonuses but at lvl 27 that’s not a factor yet.

Plenty have made it far using one handed weapons, and while 2hb is better DPS you’ll never get judgement from me for playing the way you like (woodsman is fugly and dual wielding looks cool) in this 20+ year old elf sim.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

Woodsman is, pound for pound, the best DPS you're going to get as a Ranger until you can at least get your Epic off-hand, but you might not be willing to invest so much in a weapon that only one class can use. Springwood Stave is a much cheaper alternative for relatively similar DPS, albeit a loss of 7 in swing speed. It's a 31/35 ratio for Woodsman vs a 31/42 ratio for Springwood, but also a cost difference of 4kpp vs MAYBE 75pp at most.

Silver Swiftblade is also a good two-hander for a Ranger, trading raw damage per hit for swing speed, and it's dirt cheap as well. It remains a good weapon until at least 50 because of 2h bonus damage, which this weapon gets more mileage out of because of its fast ratio.

But if you're like me and must dual-wield, then Wurmslayer in main hand and Winter's Fury in off-hand. Generally your fastest weapon should go in the main hand, while your hardest hitting should go in the off-hand, but Wurmslayers ratio is far too good to relegate it as an off-hand weapon. I'm using Dual Lammies still at 30 and they continue to serve me well, albeit getting riposted so often isn't pleasant.

If you want to buy a good two-hander that you can give to another class later, try this one: https://wiki.project1999.com/Argent_Protector

Paladins and Shadowknights love that thing, and it makes a good Ranger two-hander as well.
Last edited by Loadsamoney; 07-01-2021 at 01:45 PM..
Old 07-01-2021, 06:30 PM
Planar Protector

If he's got those 1H and 34% haste then I don't think 4k for a Woodsman's Staff is a big deal.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 07-01-2021, 08:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If he's got those 1H and 34% haste then I don't think 4k for a Woodsman's Staff is a big deal.
As far as upper weapons go I don't think 4k is terrible, I just don't like the fact that it's Ranger only. If he plans to play another class in the future, like a Shadowknight or a Warrior for instance, then I recommend getting a 2-hander those classes can use as well. It then becomes an investment that will further pay off later.

Argent Protector costs the same as a Woodsmans Staff, has almost as good of a ratio at 42/49, STR/HP/AC for tanks (and WIS/INT/Mana for hybrids), and three other classes can utilize it when his Ranger is done with it.