Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 09:57 AM
Sarnak

Default Monk Weapon Choice High AC Mobs

Hello, I’m looked to better understand how to choose between a solid 2h blunt weapon (like T-staff, IFS, or Peacebringer) and epic fists when fighting higher level Velious mobs/raid mobs. Strictly in the DPS sense, in the case I’m not pulling at this point ot taking any hits.

I’ve heard for the highest AC mobs to use weapons that rely on damage bonus for majority of DPS, is there a rule of which mobs should be thought of as “high ac?”

What about in the offhand? If I use epic fists should I bring SoS for ratio (since no damage bonus of offhand?)?
Old 07-05-2021, 01:55 PM
Planar Protector

The only monk I have on p99 is 13. Take this with a grain of salt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I expect most of the high/low AC discussion was prior to the scaling damage bonus for 2h's on blue. A t-staff for example was amazing due to ratio but with a 11 dmg bonus the spread of it's hits was worse than it is these days. This was especially bad with slower ones like the IFS.

Now the damage bonus at lvl 60 on an IFS should be around 36 which would be like the epic fist having a damage bonus of about 14 instead of the current 11. Combine this with triple attack and while a 2h may have a wider spectrum of dps when it's cruising at full clock it can put out some really impressive numbers. At least I guess until you get into the rarified BIS items; Dharns and primal vs Abashi? I don't know these things but both are insanity on the damage meters.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:35 AM
Sarnak

Thanks Snaggles, very interesting stuff. I did see a recent video where the monk was DPSing Vulak with Bo staff of Trorsmang, perhaps because his parses showed that weapon was superior to epic after Velious 2handed buff.

I’m curious if anyone else has parsed high AC targets and if they could share the detail to confirm.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:54 PM
Planar Protector

Not sure it really matters, 60 DPS vs 80 DPS? Who cares.

My point of view has always been use the best ratio weapon I can get my hands on at any given time.
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 07-12-2021, 08:13 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure it really matters, 60 DPS vs 80 DPS? Who cares.

My point of view has always been use the best ratio weapon I can get my hands on at any given time.
The main reason I’m concerned with this is that I raid with a pretty small force, and when we get to take on some of the big nastier Velious mobs it can be a DPS race against cleric mana. One monk is probably not going to make the difference but every bit helps and I want to be giving as much as I can to support the team.

Obviously a rogue would do more DPS but I love monk and being part of the pulls, just want to maximize this part of the game as well.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:42 PM
Planar Protector

Bringing in a raid mob clean will always be more important than 10 dps.

Don't sweat it.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:10 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Don't sweat it.
“A monk is not judged by how hard he kicks, but by how well he pulls.”

/bow
Old 07-12-2021, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Don't sweat it.
Who pulls raid mobs anymore? It's the train away meta now, clearing is for chumps.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Who pulls raid mobs anymore? It's the train away meta now, clearing is for chumps.
Same difference.

Scroll up for RnF.