Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Aviak

Question Death XP Loss Starts at Which Level?

I was grinding with my new level 5 bard and died to an opportunistic puma. On respawn I was surprised to see "Welcome to level 4!"

Is this expected behavior?
Was "classic" eq like that? My memory is unreliable!

Thx
Old 07-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Kobold

You lose XP when you die. When you get to the higher levels some classes can rez you with either small or full xp regain. It adds a very good incentive not to die.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Aviak

I think level 5 is where it starts happening.
Xp loss is based on the xp it takes to complete the previous level.
Xp loss during a hell level before level 52 will be something like 4%.
Xp loss during the level immediately after a hell level will be soul crushing (~16%).

Xp loss during the 50s where it's hell after hell is terrible. Get rezzes in your 50s.
As a bard you shouldn't stress about xp loss for the first 51 levels or so, xp loss is just not a concern for bards.
You can die 4 learning deaths and then make up for them and then some in one pull if you want to.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:27 AM
Sarnak

I always feel like it is pretty small pre-50. I see dudes spending way too much time trying to find that 96% red for a level 3x character when that is only 10-15 min diligent xp if they just loot and scoot and get back to work.

Not worth the 100 plat I would have to tip of expectations are still the same.

The long CRs are what get me.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:10 AM
Aviak

My memories (November 2002) were that no xp loss and no corpse until level 11 - but that may have been a Luclin thing.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by poena.dare [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My memories (November 2002) were that no xp loss and no corpse until level 11 - but that may have been a Luclin thing.
I don't remember that at all. I remember graveyard things being implemented in PoP but that was sooooo long ago.

Honestly I had three characters I played from early Kunark until late PoP. I remember making a character though and leveling 1-25 in Paludal Caves in just a few hours.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't remember that at all. I remember graveyard things being implemented in PoP but that was sooooo long ago.

Honestly I had three characters I played from early Kunark until late PoP. I remember making a character though and leveling 1-25 in Paludal Caves in just a few hours.
My memory was the first 7 levels having no penalty but that doesn't seem to be the case here.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by poena.dare [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Think that was post-Luclin.

Exp loss on p99 starts at 5, but you will always have to do corpse runs!

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 07-11-2016, 01:46 PM
Project Manager

MARCH 19, 2002

Changes for Low Level Characters:

• Characters no longer lose experience for death below level 11.

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20020319.html
Old 07-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeemoOfAstora [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think level 5 is where it starts happening.
Xp loss is based on the xp it takes to complete the previous level.
Xp loss during a hell level before level 52 will be something like 4%.
Xp loss during the level immediately after a hell level will be soul crushing (~16%).

Xp loss during the 50s where it's hell after hell is terrible. Get rezzes in your 50s.
As a bard you shouldn't stress about xp loss for the first 51 levels or so, xp loss is just not a concern for bards.
You can die 4 learning deaths and then make up for them and then some in one pull if you want to.
My understanding has been the formula is the exact same regardless of level. When you die you lose 10% of the experience you needed to gain to complete the previous level. This is why the levels after hell levels you lose nearly double the experience (nearly a full yellow bub vs the normal 1/2 yellow). Conversely, dying in a hell level doesn't seem as bad because you're only losing about 1 1/4 blue instead of 2 1/2 blue.
Closed Thread