Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 06:40 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Looking to start my adventure on green!

Heya! After trying to decide what server to start on and what class to go for, I decided to go to green, yaaay.
But now to the hard part.

What class do I start with? I assume I will have to play alot by myself.
Got my choices down to; Shaman, necro, enchanter, magician, monk.
Any tips are welcome, perhaps you just did the same choice recently and
can provide some insight. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2021, 03:04 AM
Aviak

Hello and welcome.

this is a good read to answer your question :
https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie

on a more personal take to your questions :
- If you want a strong solo and group class, with an easy learning curve, go shaman, necro or magician
- If you want the strongest solo and group class, with the hardest learning curve, go enchanter
- If you want to be a semi competent solo melee, with a lot of jobs to do in group and a medium learning curve, go monk.

I would add that monks is an oddball, it is difficult to describe how a good monk plays but you will recognize right away when you are grouped with a bad one...

Anyways, I hope you enjoy this game like I do. It is one of a kind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-03-2021, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac6969 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Heya! After trying to decide what server to start on and what class to go for, I decided to go to green, yaaay.
But now to the hard part.

What class do I start with? I assume I will have to play alot by myself.
Got my choices down to; Shaman, necro, enchanter, magician, monk.
Any tips are welcome, perhaps you just did the same choice recently and
can provide some insight. Thanks!
Depends on how much you're really going to be playing by yourself. I.e. do you not really care about grouping ever? And whether you're planning on getting to 60 or not.

IMO, if only planning to solo like 90+% of the time: Necro or Enchanter. Ench can be a bit of a slog for a bit until charm killing becomes more viable, but otherwise a great option. If you're planning to play to 60 and you decide to be a Necro, go Iksar for the HP regen to help with your lich line of spells...the difference becomes quite noticeable post level 50.

I left Shaman off here because I think in order to become true really high tier soloers they need a decent amount of gear, etc. but if you're just trying to chill and grind XP on random mobs then Shaman is an option as well (but I would still go Necro or Ench over Shaman if you don't ever plan to want to be in a group).

I wouldn't go Mage if you're trying to solo to 60 because you won't be able to solo effectively past like level 55.

Monk is a good choice if you want to mix in grouping. But if you go Monk I would go Iksar for the HP regen to help with the downtime. Note that Monk will also need some decent weapons to truly be a good soloer, so you might need to build up some plat before you can be as efficient.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:58 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thank you so much for the input! Decided to make a iksar necro and a erudite paladin for now hehe. Any tips or tricks are welcome!
As far as I can tell, necromancers doesn’t really need any gear, and paladin needs ALOT [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] hehe they are like day and night! So far, alot of fun!
Old 11-03-2021, 11:18 AM
Planar Protector

Technically any tank needs good gear because you need the AC and STA, but Paladins and SKs are a little bit easier because they have snap aggro spells (Flash of Light and Disease Cloud) as opposed to a Warrior which needs to stack STR and have good weapons in order to keep aggro because they're basically reliant on DPS to keep it (Taunt is unreliable).

Only downside to the weaker races like Erudite is their STA and STR are generally lower. Again STR not as crucial for a Pally for aggro and it's more that you'll likely be close to the weight limit once you're wearing plate and carrying your weapon/shield. But it's certainly still viable and great for fashionquest. You wouldn't be tanking raids anyway (that's Warriors) so you should be totally fine as a tank for group content even with lower STA/STR.

Good call on the Iksar Necro. The other big plus is that Kurn's tower is right on your doorstep. So once you hit like level 11/12 you can go in there. It's all undead mobs, you'll get tons of bone chips, and the zone experience modifier is very high. You can cruise to your early 20s there if you wanted to stay for that long.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:08 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Ah, I see! I guess a warrior would be a better tank then, but I just couldn’t pick a race.. I prefer to play female characters - but a female ogre would kill my eyes.. I think?
:rofl:

I actually think that a monk would be a fun alt instead of warrior actually.
So necromancer and monk. Paladin if im bored of both hehe.
Last edited by bigmac6969; 11-03-2021 at 02:20 PM..
Old 11-03-2021, 04:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac6969 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ah, I see! I guess a warrior would be a better tank then, but I just couldn’t pick a race.. I prefer to play female characters - but a female ogre would kill my eyes.. I think?
:rofl:

I actually think that a monk would be a fun alt instead of warrior actually.
So necromancer and monk. Paladin if im bored of both hehe.
No sorry I was saying a Warrior is not a better tank for group content. SKs and Pallys have snap aggro spells. Warriors have no such thing and are reliant on DPS for their aggro maintenance and therefore need a lot more gear.

Warriors are just main raid tanks because they have higher STA to HP conversion which is needed for those big encounters. I'd take an SK or Pally as my group tank any day unless there's a really twinked out Warrior.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:04 PM
Sarnak

Iksar necro is great, glad you’re enjoying it! It can be a bit of a slog to get to 12. One quick note is that pets will steal some of your xp if they do more than 50% of the damage, so watch out!

Incidentally I just made a post in the Caster forum on leveling an Iksar necro. May help you!

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...0&postcount=11
Old 11-03-2021, 10:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Iksar necro is great, glad you’re enjoying it! It can be a bit of a slog to get to 12. One quick note is that pets will steal some of your xp if they do more than 50% of the damage, so watch out!

Incidentally I just made a post in the Caster forum on leveling an Iksar necro. May help you!

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...0&postcount=11
Good post

OP I would also recommend sesserdix’s guide on the Wiki. Probably the most in depth guide I’ve seen for any EQ class
Old 11-03-2021, 11:07 PM
Banned

If you're gonna play a necro, here's a little tip: Pets are OP/broken until level 20ish if you give them a 2handed weapon. Keep rusty 2handers or buy them from any vendors (any type, go for the cheapest one, dmg/speed irrelevant) you see who have them. It will almost double your pet's dps until it stops working at 20

Give the pet a 2handed weapon and don't worry about losing 50% exp to it. The increased kill rate will make up for it. Watch it wreck stuff

Grats on iksar necro pick btw, master race, master class
Closed Thread