Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Only feature I don't care about is that the original PVP implementation of mage pets meant that a mage pet could be attacking a player at a guard, and the guard would do nothing to the mage pet owner (possibly if he was just outside of aggro range?)

But then, if the attacked player hits the pet, the guards would kill the player, based on faction. If player attacking pet was ally the guards would not aggro. I don't remember if they always attack the lower faction person or they just attack anyone they see attacking in their presence. It's been a long time since newbie pvp sadly.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Only feature I don't care about is that the original PVP implementation of mage pets meant that a mage pet could be attacking a player at a guard, and the guard would do nothing to the mage pet owner (possibly if he was just outside of aggro range?)

But then, if the attacked player hits the pet, the guards would kill the player, based on faction. If player attacking pet was ally the guards would not aggro. I don't remember if they always attack the lower faction person or they just attack anyone they see attacking in their presence. It's been a long time since newbie pvp sadly.
Guards should just straight up kill elementals and skeletons. Those things don't belong in civilised areas (wish listing).

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 12-06-2021, 04:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And yet both of you are too lazy to provide a shred of evidence. Meanwhile those "people who [didn't] give themselves the title "researcher"' (because, they're not doing anything for a title, they're just volunteering their time to make things more classic) are doing the actual work of trying to find proof of how mage pet agro actually worked.

But since we're all too lazy to help, we just have to wait for the people that aren't.
Please provide evidence that it was supposed to work the way it does now.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please provide evidence that it was supposed to work the way it does now.
I don't have any, so we're tied. Ties go to the developer who slaves away at making all this for us, and he's (in absence of further evidence) settled on the current implementation.

But again, provide proof and he'll (almost certainly) change it, because accurate classic is the goal of this whole project ... just look in the upper-left corner [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:28 PM
Banned

The mage pet agro transfer thing isn't something I recall either way.

U should be fighting mobs your fresh pet can taunt off you. Or kiting with an air pet stun.

Get 3 air pets going for an exp grp and it's just amazing lol.

Mages can easily solo, and grp to 60 and are highly desirable pals to have for healers, duos, trios, etc. Even iffff they are horribly broken and wrong on this timeline.

The game is instantly funner when u stop trying to solo all content and give the slower pace a chance by chatting it up or doing quests.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:08 PM
Aviak

So my complaint is that I've died due to agro, even when I've been in a group. A few times this has happened. Pet agro is not as it was, at least not as I remember it, and I would like to see where they deduced it worked like this. I don't think anyone is going to be able to provide evidence, because it was literally 20+ years ago and the technology to prove it doesn't exist, nor does the source code, so all we have is opinions and memory. My argument is that enjoyment should be held in higher regard than "perceived authenticity" because one is speculation and the other is factual.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:03 AM
Sarnak

If u were grouped and your pet died because u didn't assist tank and then agro xferd to u, sounds like tactics problem, not coding problem
Old 12-07-2021, 12:08 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So my complaint is that I've died due to agro, even when I've been in a group. A few times this has happened. Pet agro is not as it was, at least not as I remember it, and I would like to see where they deduced it worked like this. I don't think anyone is going to be able to provide evidence, because it was literally 20+ years ago and the technology to prove it doesn't exist, nor does the source code, so all we have is opinions and memory. My argument is that enjoyment should be held in higher regard than "perceived authenticity" because one is speculation and the other is factual.
But see, since it likely accidentally got changed with a patch (or else it would have been mentioned) you have to go find some archived useless post where someone acknowledges that pets kept aggro with it not transferring to the caster (who the fug is going to post about something working correctly?).

It's clearly a bug and people defending it just like to be condescending because it makes them feel good for some odd reason
Old 12-07-2021, 03:47 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I was a mage main on live for years and pet aggro never transferred to the mage.. No evidence other than memory.

But I suppose there's a giant invisible teapot in the sky, prove it doesn't exist.
Old 12-07-2021, 03:53 PM
Banned

how do people find mages fun at all
Closed Thread