Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 08:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldiri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey Everyone!
I appreciate all the opinions and good info. I started playing a halfling rogue on Green and enjoying it so far. It’s taking a while getting used to the UI and how things work. For example, still not sure how to accept a quest. I tried and nothing happened. I’m not in a hurry, just taking my time, but if anyone knows how to accept a quest, let me know.
If you have a few minutes this guy explains most of the issues you are having. You must target the NPC, get close, press the H key to Hail (hi,hello), the NPC will target you then look at you, a text response will pop up in your main chat box (if the NPC has a quest). Some words will [look like this] in the sentence. You type back a response that has "I have [looks like this]" and it will proceed from there.

It's a keyboard/mouse based computer game, jfyi

Edit note: Common noob mistake is to forget pressing enter to open up chat with the NPC, by default one of the games keys is bound to A or Q.. something like that. New players will press that key while typing a response and it will engage their characters Auto-Attack hotkey. Common to see naked corpses around some noob zone NPC's because of this. Check your binds in the options menu by pressing ALT Key + O.
Last edited by Mblake81; 10-31-2020 at 08:26 AM..
Old 10-31-2020, 10:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Edit note: Common noob mistake is to forget pressing enter to open up chat with the NPC, by default one of the games keys is bound to A or Q.. something like that. New players will press that key while typing a response and it will engage their characters Auto-Attack hotkey. Common to see naked corpses around some noob zone NPC's because of this. Check your binds in the options menu by pressing ALT Key + O.
Yeah default binding for autoattack is Q, Options -> Keys -> Commands
Its the first bind I change. I make Q stafe left and E strafe right. Under Movement.

It now makes much more sense why there are corpses around the new character starting points. I never fully understood that. I guess the simplest answer is the best in this case.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:40 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

[QUOTE=Shourty;3201908]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldiri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
, so I was trying mouse clicks, then the NPC attacked me and one shot me into a shallow grave.😮 I wasn’t expecting that.....

I really burst out laughing at that. Still chuckling. Sorry.
oops, did it again, I'm not really sorry now, I'm grateful for the happy laughter.

Oh, that's rich. I remember being disappointed when my friend told me that you couldn't attack the NPCs in WoW. What a wimpy game I thought. I was right.

Thanks again for the good laugh.
It’ funny now, in hind sight. This game keeps you on your toes. Death really could be just around the corner. Fortunately in this case, my corpse was easy to locate! 😀
Old 10-31-2020, 01:44 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can copy/paste text into the game. Copy text normal way, then paste it with: Ctrl+Shift+P

You chose toon that needs lots of grouping. You could also start with one, that is pretty decent at solo, such as Druid, Necro or Magician to see, which play style you prefer the best.

Oh and welcome to the game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the tip. I’ll def be trying out some of the other classes too.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:51 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you have a few minutes this guy explains most of the issues you are having. You must target the NPC, get close, press the H key to Hail (hi,hello), the NPC will target you then look at you, a text response will pop up in your main chat box (if the NPC has a quest). Some words will [look like this] in the sentence. You type back a response that has "I have [looks like this]" and it will proceed from there.

It's a keyboard/mouse based computer game, jfyi

Whoa! Really good info! I’ll have to check and see what the keys are mapped to. I never even thought of that. I’m pretty sure my auto attack was engaged. Lol
Old 10-31-2020, 01:53 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah default binding for autoattack is Q, Options -> Keys -> Commands
Its the first bind I change. I make Q stafe left and E strafe right. Under Movement.

It now makes much more sense why there are corpses around the new character starting points. I never fully understood that. I guess the simplest answer is the best in this case.
😮😮😮 I def need to check those bindings!! This explains a lot!
Old 11-03-2020, 10:34 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Made lvl 8..... nevermind, de-leveled again.☹️
Old 11-03-2020, 12:26 PM
Banned

EQ players on a newish server end up falling into a handful of different paths.

a. Play for a few hours and move on - Gave it a go.
b. Play for a few days and move on - Not for them.
c. Play for a few months until something new captures their attention. journey unfinished. -50% of folks
d. Play for a few years - Burn out after min/maxing or raiding seeing the end or giving up.
e. Play for a few decades - Nostalgia wins. New server options. The folks you are talking to on this thread.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:42 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ players on a newish server end up falling into a handful of different paths.

a. Play for a few hours and move on - Gave it a go.
b. Play for a few days and move on - Not for them.
c. Play for a few months until something new captures their attention. journey unfinished. -50% of folks
d. Play for a few years - Burn out after min/maxing or raiding seeing the end or giving up.
e. Play for a few decades - Nostalgia wins. New server options. The folks you are talking to on this thread.
Well, I made it past a and b. 😀
Old 11-10-2020, 01:32 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Still hanging in there, but the journey is becoming difficult. I am lvl 9 now, but just barely due to de-leveling. My corpse ended up in the bottom of the water in Blackburrow and no way to retrieve it. I died a couple times trying and gave up. Fortunately, a GM was nice enough to get it for me. Still, I’m finding it difficult to know where to go. I’ve read some guides, but not everyone can agree on the best path. I have yet to complete a quest. I have talked to NPC’s that have them, but for some reason, never able to trigger the dialog to move forward. I think I am still missing something. It’s a pretty slow grind without quests and I’ve been out killing things, but hard to find the balance of areas where enemies are either too weak to offer much xp, if any, or too strong for my level. Any advice?