Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 11:18 AM
Fire Giant

Default monk fist primary dmg bonus

Question from an ignorant person who never played melee classes much.

Is the fist damage table on the wiki before the primary dmg bonus or is it built into the number shown?

For example --- It says level 50 fists are 14/30. Is that with melee dmg bonus or is it actually 22/30 taking the 8 dmg bonus into account on top of the value shown?

Trying to value a weapon and/or see when it stops being better than fists in the primary hand and am not sure what number is correct.

Thank you.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:20 AM
Fire Giant

Not sure what the answer is, but I can tell you that at about level 25 is when fists become as good or better than any weapon in classic.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:32 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure what the answer is, but I can tell you that at about level 25 is when fists become as good or better than any weapon in classic.
So for example, Sharkbone warhammer 8/26, magic weapon, becomes 16/26 at Level 50. The 14/30 Monk fist at lvl 50 must really be 22/30 or else the hammer would be better in MH, or am I completely misunderstanding how it works? Which would mean the Sharkbone warhammer would be better until level 37 where Fists with bonus surpass the MH ratio. Or does just DMG trump everything including ratio?
Last edited by zaneosak; 01-07-2020 at 11:34 AM..
Old 01-07-2020, 11:41 AM
Sarnak

A log parser may be handy for determining for yourself.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benanov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A log parser may be handy for determining for yourself.
I'm not a monk, just trying to value an item for auction purposes. The item seems very good at least for monk twink thru 35. Perhaps even higher depending on the answer to the question. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:32 PM
Banned

That's not how damage bonus works. When you swing and the game determines you hit the mob you get a damage number that you hit the mob for based on the damage of your weapon then the damage bonus is added to that. Essentially the damage bonus determines the absolute floor of damage you'll hit for. If the game decides you hit for 1 damage and the bonus of your mainhand is 8 then you'll hit for 9. I'm not sure if it's possible to hit for 0+bonus.

You don't just add the bonus to the weapon damage.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaneosak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So for example, Sharkbone warhammer 8/26, magic weapon, becomes 16/26 at Level 50...or am I completely misunderstanding how it works?
To clarify, yes, that’s a slight misunderstanding of damage bonus. The sharkbone warhammer does not become 16/26. It remains 8/26. Damage is rolled using an equation that will take into account the 8 damage of the weapon; then damage bonus is added to any successful hit. The poster above explained it well.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's not how damage bonus works. When you swing and the game determines you hit the mob you get a damage number that you hit the mob for based on the damage of your weapon then the damage bonus is added to that. Essentially the damage bonus determines the absolute floor of damage you'll hit for. If the game decides you hit for 1 damage and the bonus of your mainhand is 8 then you'll hit for 9. I'm not sure if it's possible to hit for 0+bonus.

Thanks for the info. Perfectly explained.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Although....as a 42 monk I have punched for 1 damage several times. Maybe once damage is calculated it then takes into account the AC of the target and then gets reduced? Not sure
Old 01-07-2020, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

Monk fists in Classic start to reliably outdamage any weapons you can get outside of Plane of Sky around level 30. So use those Enameled Black Maces until then.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Closed Thread