Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 01:27 PM
Sarnak

I wish you could make barbarian rangers.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodyLich666 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wish you could make barbarian rangers.
Barbarian Paladin with a massive fiery sword would be ideal
Old 01-13-2021, 11:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pulling for your group in mm as a ranger is literally the most fun I’ve had in Eq so maybe that will change your mind.
I 100% agree that pulling well in MM as a ranger is awesome. Watch the monks and other classes struggle to bring back less than a handful at places like CE or tower then you run in as a ranger and pull singles all day, if the right tricks are pulled out of your hat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My ranger is my main (low 50's, currently) and play a few times per week for 2-3 hours/night in the evening. My fear is mediocre, so I personally have found it most fun to group - face tanking i can only do 1-2 mobs before having to take a break, and I just get bored/frustrated with the tedium of fear kiting.

So far being casual and with soso gear hasn't been too bad, though the amount of progress I'm now able to me in a night is getting to be painfully little.

Overall, I think the class is a ton of fun and under-rated. I wouldn't play one if I really wanted to solo a ton though.

Just my 2cp, of course!
Old 01-14-2021, 12:47 AM
Kobold

Thanks so much for the replies guys! I really appreciate it. I did play a ranger a while back but only got to level 31, never tried dungeon crawling with her, and obviously never seen the high levels. I just got tired of the root + bow all the time, felt so tedious. But after reading this I think i'll give it another shot! (no pun intended)

I have a paladin on blue and its been really fun in a sort of masochistic way lol.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:14 AM
Planar Protector

Yea the paladin is kinda boring. Slow and steady, rarely in true danger.

While the ranger benefits from a wealth of plat and raid gear the pally is on the other end. A DW helm is like 500p which is good for solo healing. It’s a shoestring budget fungi or invigorate BP. A reaver or Narandi is like 9k too which is on par with some NTOV weapons.

Either on green are still dealing with the 40% hybrid penalty. A rough situation.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

I used to do a lot of bow kiting and doting on mobs that were too strong for me. It took a long time but snare always landed and I packed a lot of arrows.

I never used a swarm caller because the dmg / dly was too bad and I thought slow and haste items werent worth the trouble when I could get lamentations X2 and boost my weak melee stats. I did use a woodsmans staff though.

That was just because I was dumb though.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:55 PM
Planar Protector

Ranger is probably the most overlooked class for farming. You can basically pop into any zone, hit Track and find plat. I dunno if Gats is still around, but he was probably one of the richest people on the server simply because of Track.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pulling for your group in mm as a ranger is literally the most fun I’ve had in Eq so maybe that will change your mind.
I feel that. Ranger pulling archon temple in CT was so much fun.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:28 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel that. Ranger pulling archon temple in CT was so much fun.
I happened to be grouped with LevelUpLarry's ranger once in CT Archon when he was streaming, so I got to watch him pull (as well as moon the camera when he went afk, lol). It looked fun as hell, floating around the pyramid just dropping reavers (err arrows) on lizards. He abused the FUCK out of harmony to get to the group safely from zoneline, too. So many tricks!
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

Unless you're going to twink the hell out of it, just play a monk.