Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 07:46 AM
Kobold

Default Rogue Poisons

Hey all,

Planning to roll a rogue on Green and have a very simple question: Is it worth investing in create / apply poisons? Do they provide anything of actual use?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2020, 01:27 PM
Planar Protector

Most people say no. Do a quick forum search for “rogue poisons” and you’ll see a lot of threads like this where people have pretty much hashed out the pros and cons of poisons.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...=Rogue+poisons

Great for classic/Kunark pvp, though.

Make sure to read this one, too: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...=Rogue+poisons

Oh, and don’t forget this one.
Last edited by Videri; 03-05-2020 at 01:30 PM..
Old 03-07-2020, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

It's worth it if you are 60 and have some plat to spare. I don't see it ever being worth it while leveling up though, especially below 50.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

Like all of EQ diminishing returns hit hard the further you go. Having the skill to make lowbie (stage1) poisons gives you something to do. The regents are very easy to get, asp poison for a direct damage, Snare aka muscle lock (basilisk) and paralyzing poison (spine break). You can use vender skill ups to make these.
Last edited by Snaggles; 03-07-2020 at 04:06 PM..
Old 03-11-2020, 08:47 AM
Planar Protector

It really upsets me someone helpfully added stuff to my poison guide on wiki.

[Thrifty alternative!] Lol ugh. The whole point of my guide was a 5 step guide to 250 without farming and they jacked it all up with their virtual poverty.

Anyways, the only poison I found worthwhile for PvE was Spine Break. 50% slow and 30-sec root. Low trivial and vendor bought. It's stupid good.
Last edited by Cecily; 03-11-2020 at 08:58 AM..
Old 03-11-2020, 02:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyways, the only poison I found worthwhile for PvE was Spine Break. 50% slow and 30-sec root. Low trivial and vendor bought. It's stupid good.
^^ This.
Not difficult to get to Spine Break trivial, and makes a huge change to your soloability.

That said, reapplying the poison before each fight might drive you crazy.
Because of this, a lot of people just don't bother.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:28 PM
Planar Protector

It's great for scrappy duos though. Grinding yard trash and you see a named spawn.

I always found it to be an entertaining way to play a rogue. A class actually more boring than a warrior if you just keep to mashing your couple buttons for 60 levels.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:35 PM
Fire Giant

Its mainly for PVP servers, it shines there once you have the Plat to make them
45 Dark Elf Wizard - Smurf PVP
41 Enchanter - Jeffery PVP
37 Iksar Monk - Buster PVP
26 Human Ranger - Kenny PVP
RED99
Old 04-25-2020, 12:55 AM
Sarnak

I tried really hard to explore what all you could do with poisons and they were....ok. I second Spine Break being useful for PvE. Its vendor bought, cheap, easy to skill up to, and gives you root and slow; there's a bunch of stuff you can kill with that that you otherwise can't. Spirit of Sloth is also useful, it is also store bought and enables snare kiting if you just really need to solo a non-summoning outdoor mob. I used it to duo sirens in SG with a torp shaman to stop them from running. A combination of the two of them and archery let me solo A shardwing courier in WW, which is how I got through a lot of 59. A lot of the poisons also let you snap aggro at the start of a fight to tank, which is sometimes relevant in small teamup situations.

I wonder if the mana drain poison could be situationally useful now that sieve is seeing
more use, you can mana drain out Karkona or something with it pretty easy if you feel like trying to duo it with a torp shaman or something for example. I helped drain Karkona out once with an enchanter, but got about 50% resists, so quickly came to the conclusion that unresistable and free = enchanters should handle this unless you don't have them for some reason.