Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Sarnak

Default Druid Roots vs other roots

I've tried to do some testing on my own but my results are inconclusive - other than the DD portion of the druids root line, is there any other major differences? Looking at the best roots it seems they cap out at 3 minutes, casting time and mana cost aside, is there a difference? IE does one have less of a chance to break early? Even between the level 49 druid root and the 56 druid root is there a difference other than a bit more dmg, less mana and faster cast (not that those things are not awesome) Seems the druid root line breaks more often, could just be a "me thing".
Old 12-04-2019, 03:00 PM
Planar Protector

Are you tunare by chance? There is a questable grasping roots clicky necklace with a 4 second cast time.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:15 AM
Kobold

First I got no proof.

Second the DD portion of a root can be a mixed bag. Its great as a lower lvl DD spell to take out the pesky guys that smack you when sitting, but it will break a mez. I am used to casting root on a mezed mob when we have a bunch in camp. if done right with communication it can save the chanter some mana and health. Just dont do it with a druid.

Third I find the druid roots to break less frequently than with my equal lvl toons using same duration roots. I believe the druid gets that 3 min root pretty early compared to say shamans.

D I remeber on live back in 1999 thinking my druid roots sucked and never using them because the DD porton made them harder to land. (i was convinced there were two resist checks one DD one root) . instead i kept snare up. playing out side gave me the room top scoot and shoot as i needed. when I played a non druid with root for the first time i loved the root. This is all in my head.

Lastly I prefer druid root.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:31 AM
Planar Protector

Druid roots did suck back for most of 1999 because the damage immediately checked for root break, so even if you landed the root it could instantly break.

But on p99 there is no real difference other than druids roots do a bit of damage but cost a bit more mana.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:07 AM
Sarnak

thanks for the replies :-)
Old 12-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Druid roots did suck back for most of 1999 because the damage immediately checked for root break, so even if you landed the root it could instantly break.

But on p99 there is no real difference other than druids roots do a bit of damage but cost a bit more mana.
Mana cost and triggering summons on level 51+ mobs that you're trying to root CC are the biggest differences imo. I assume high-level druids don't use their high-level root in groups at high levels for these reasons, but maybe I'm overestimating the problem.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:58 PM
Sarnak

the extra damage portion on druid roots is there just for a little bit of lemon pepper that the other classes don't have. compare ensnaring roots and instill, mid 20-ish level roots, both cost 60 mana, both have the same durations, but ensnaring roots simply has that extra 34-60 damage that it can apply. When you consider the level 19 druid nuke is 90 something damage, 40 damage is actually pretty cool and a welcome little bonus.

Scaling up, Paralyzing Earth and Engulfing, the level 49 roots, again essentially the same spells -- 3 minute duration, 100 mana cost, 2.5 second cast time. But, Engulfing also packs another 150+ damage with it, meaning that it's 1) a root 2) a nuke with a 1.5 dpm attached to it. Pretty fucking sweet, at that point.

Then when you get to the tippy top, you compare Fetter with Engorging. Both are 1.75 (!!) second cast times, 75 (!!!!!) mana, and a 3 minute duration. But, again, the druid root comes with a -very fucking awesome- 180-190 damage attached to it, which means that it's not only a root, but it also casts extremely fast and has a 2.5 dpm nuke attached to it. -2.5- btw. That's Wizard status.

So, while the roots may not be "stronger" than one another in any traditional sense, they all have a 0 Resist modifier, the druid roots are strictly -better- in that they also deal damage.

Engorging Roots itself is an -extremely- versatile spell that I found, quite often, just using as a regular nuke to finish a mob off. And for the level 50 era Engulfing is just as good. The only draw back to the 'stronger' roots is that 150-190 damage is enough to trigger a level 51+ mob to start summoning, and be that the case, just use Ensnaring.

"... I don't think I remember him digging for this long..."

The A-Team

twitch.tv/crexxus
Old 01-12-2020, 01:54 PM
Kobold

On live I used to swear the dd portion helped the root stick because my roots almost always lasted full duration compared to my int caster chars where it broke randomly all the time. I've heard tons of others say same thing but honestly its most likely in our heads haha.
Closed Thread