Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 06:38 PM
Sarnak

Also bumping this because I am curious.

Anyone have any screenshots of this active? Either on P99, Live, or another eqEmu?
Old 01-21-2020, 10:49 PM
Aviak

All reshade does is I inject client-side visuals. It doesn't give an advantage in game play. CRT screen, aliasing after process, color palate swap is all done after the game has been processed through its render and before it presented on screen.

I don't see any reason it would be illegal.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:30 AM
Orc

I agree, but official word that this is OK would go a long way, considering the DLL file and the injection process. A quick staff reply the graphics shader injection is OK would ease the minds of a lot of people =)
Old 01-22-2020, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

Part of the "Green" experience is night blindness, this could potentially circumvent that so I'd lean towards it not being allowed. Most of the "permitted" changes I've seen have been upscaling related and didn't involve changes to lighting/shaders.

-Mcoy
Old 01-22-2020, 02:02 PM
Orc

Then perhaps they should outlaw the ability to change your gamma in your video card settings, or your monitor, or via the in game options. There are gamma settings almost anywhere that can assist with this if that is what someone wants to do. If that is your argument against it, its a flimsy one =)

I'ved used reshades and other programs like this on a ton of games (new and old) and they do help refine the texture work a bit.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:06 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Part of the "Green" experience is night blindness, this could potentially circumvent that so I'd lean towards it not being allowed. Most of the "permitted" changes I've seen have been upscaling related and didn't involve changes to lighting/shaders.

-Mcoy
This is the least smartest thing I read all day.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbelyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Then perhaps they should outlaw the ability to change your gamma in your video card settings, or your monitor, or via the in game options. There are gamma settings almost anywhere that can assist with this if that is what someone wants to do. If that is your argument against it, its a flimsy one =)
It's not so flimsy as you might think. The darkness system introduced for human characters last fall was specifically designed (via the use of shaders) to prevent people from circumventing night blindness merely by adjusting their gamma. You can hike up your gamma all you like in-game but it won't help your Human character see any farther, unlike in the original game where that was a common workaround.

Danth
Old 01-22-2020, 03:21 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not so flimsy as you might think. The darkness system introduced for human characters last fall was specifically designed (via the use of shaders) to prevent people from circumventing night blindness merely by adjusting their gamma. You can hike up your gamma all you like in-game but it won't help your Human character see any farther, unlike in the original game where that was a common workaround.

Danth
I put my Gama up just fine not sure what this is about but whatever it did it don't work.. Besides there are ton of monitors that circumvent this type of action on old games even without in game options. The argument is seriously flawed.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

You can raise your gamma. That is not disabled. It will not increase the vision radius on Human characters however because the human vision radius in-game from 9PM to 3AM is blocked out by shaders outside the radius lit by light sources. Vision effects like infravision or ultravision cancel that effect.

Danth
Old 01-22-2020, 06:51 PM
Kobold

They're not going to ban you for using a visual filter... It's the equivalent of using a verb filter on your sound card.

Things that get you banned are always pretty obvious, like shit that reveals mob locations everywhere in the zone.