Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 01:22 PM
Sarnak

Default Ranger ripping hate in a static group

Have a static group of 5: SK, Monk, Ranger, Cleric, Chanter. All level 56/57.

I play the ranger and by no means have top tier gear, a couple of months back I was finally able to get my Swiftwind - around that same time I swapped a few pieces of gear favoring survival over DPS (I fill in time to time as tank since the SK just had a new baby). Recently the SK has come back to play and I've noticed I am having a hard time NOT ripping hate. Monk is usually off pulling and can FD so its not an issue, but even when I cast Jolt and NOTHING else, I still seem to rip. At first I thought it was my main hand weapon proccing, which wasn't an issue prior to the epic, but maybe with the faster attacks I was proccing more / doing more damage and that tipped the scale? I've since stopped using that weapon for an older one with lesser stats, ratio, and no proc, but the issue persists. Either way, any tips or tricks for me as the ranger trying to not get hate or for the SK to keep it? He spams DC pretty often, uses shadow vortex and darkness line etc. Short of him going for a proc weapon a warrior would use and using clickies, I'm not sure what we are doing wrong. I've resorted to holding off on engaging for the first few %, which has helped - but I am usually tanking the mob before it dies.

I guess my question is: is this normal? What should I be doing differently? What should the SK be doing differently? Should SK use a better hate generating weapon (if so any suggestions?)

Thanks all for your replies and input.

Happy hunting.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:33 PM
Sarnak

What weapons first of all? Jolt/cinder jolt should lose you most aggro if you aren't proccing earthcall/big hate spells.

Or. Just root the mobs and the closest will take the aggro. Stand at max melee range and the SK will be tank
Old 10-06-2020, 01:48 PM
Fire Giant

For sure, i'd go with the root strategy... Rangers often get agro when i'm tanking on my SK too.. More so when they are doing the pulling.. But yeah just root it haha...
Old 10-06-2020, 03:50 PM
Sarnak

I was using
https://wiki.project1999.com/Frostbringer
since I was also "tanking" and figured the hate proc wouldn't be an issue, but when the SK returned and it was an issue I swapped to https://wiki.project1999.com/Winters_Fury

I've been using Jolt and have been lazy and not picked up cinder jolt, I assume they are the same except for the resist they check against?
Old 10-06-2020, 04:24 PM
Sarnak

Only other suggestions I have

1. Change your role in the group. Either embrace it. AC/HP up and flame lick away or do outdoor zones and (harmony) pull better than the monk can.

2. Let the SK snare and aggro cast before engaging, half way through jolt/cinder jolt

3. Pick up one of these which has a reduce hate proc https://wiki.project1999.com/Fellspine%27s_Tail
Old 10-06-2020, 05:49 PM
Fire Giant

Please forgive the qhestion, but you're not using call of sky are you? The proc is pretty nasty for agro - I tend to leave it off unless ghetto ranger tanking.

Also, grats on Swiftwind! I'm jealous [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-06-2020, 07:24 PM
Aviak

Yeah Call of Sky/Fire is a huge aggro draw. Either don’t use it or jolt after every 1 or 2 procs. Root was mentioned and proximity to the mob is huge - I always park myself on the very fringe of melee range.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:36 AM
Sarnak

Not using call of sky or fire.

Thanks all for the replies
Old 10-07-2020, 12:59 AM
Fire Giant

Faster attacks won't make you proc more, but Frostbringer is an aggro weapon, so smart move swapping it out.

What's your gear look like in comparison to the SKs? For example, you're at 40% haste--what haste do they have? If you're just dealing way more white damage, you will eventually generate enough hate to overtake their spell aggro.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:33 AM
Sarnak

What everyone else said is definitely true, the other place you may need to look is how your SK friend is tanking and holding aggro. The aggro component of disease cloud isn’t what it used to be so the SK will definitely need to spam it more as the rest of the group’s DPS improves. You’ve got a enchanter so mana shouldn’t be a problem and monk is pulling so SK should be able to med between fights.

Have SK taunt, shadow vortex, and disease cloud when breaking mez or when mob gets to camp, then cast disease cloud every so often if the fight progresses. If that doesn’t take care of it then root would be another good option.
Closed Thread