Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 07:45 PM
Sarnak

Added information to Harla Dar's page, fixing some of her stats and including drop information emphasizing Torpor. Added a link from Torpor's page under "Where to find".
Old 04-29-2020, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cool, I'll keep that in mind!

I added my annotated Siren's Grotto Maps to https://wiki.project1999.com/Annotat...ns_Grotto_Maps , and added a section to the main SG page to link to it (they're kind of big, so I decided to stick them in their own page instead of inline).
Looks great. For future reference, in the wiki you can show bigger images in smaller places by adding "|someNumberpx". For instance, to show your map with a width of only 600 pixels, you could use:

HTML Code:
[[File:Sirens grotto layer 1 fancy smaller.jpg|600px|Second Map of Siren's Grotto]]
However, if you do that the writing is too small to be useful, so I think you made the right call putting those maps on their own page. If you could somehow double the font size on your maps though, I could totally see your version replacing the current one on the SG page [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Regardless, even your current version is a whole lot better than the current "location key" for that zone (ie. none), so I hope you don't mind, but I moved your alternate maps link up to the top, where the location key normally would be. It seems to me if I'm looking for "where is stuff in SG?" and I can't find a normal location key, your maps will be what I want instead.

Finally, this puts you up to the max of 3k, so congratulations on being this challenge's first winner!
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

PM me with your in-game character name (whoever is picking up the plat) and when you would like to meet up.

P.S. One last thing: I would encourage you (and all editors!) to add your recent additions to https://wiki.project1999.com/Notable%20Updates.

You don't have to, and even if you do I wouldn't add all your changes (eg. not the new hunting spot) ... but adding the bigger stuff to that page (eg. the maps) can be a great way to let people looking for "what's new on the wiki?" to know what you added.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Added information to Harla Dar's page, fixing some of her stats and including drop information emphasizing Torpor. Added a link from Torpor's page under "Where to find".
Uh oh. You'd already hit the limit of the challenge, and that means ... you just edited the wiki without a reward [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Even if you didn't realize it, no take-backs:

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-29-2020 at 11:12 AM..
Old 04-29-2020, 11:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardylooGubbins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I added a solution to the tech support wiki for the "screen transparency" problem I've encountered several times when trying to log into the game. This is when certain portions of the screen (specifically the "Enter World" button) register as transparent, and clicking on them minimizes the client. Name was GardylooG
Awesome! That tech support page can be a real life saver (both for people in need of tech support ... and because it saves the nice people who provide help in the tech support forum from having to give the same answers repeatedly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

I hope you don't mind, but I "upgraded" your addition to have its own heading (ie. the text with equal signs around it, eg. "=== Problem: Other Errors/Crashes when Logging In ==="). This will make it easier to find in the table of contents at the top of the page, plus it will make the actual problem itself have larger text.

As for your reward, given that you had to do some "research" to add that entry, I think it'd be fair to call that 750 plat. You can "cash that out" at any time, or keep editing (until Sunday night) to try and hit 3k.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:42 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Awesome! That tech support page can be a real life saver (both for people in need of tech support ... and because it saves the nice people who provide help in the tech support forum from having to give the same answers repeatedly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

I hope you don't mind, but I "upgraded" your addition to have its own heading (ie. the text with equal signs around it, eg. "=== Problem: Other Errors/Crashes when Logging In ==="). This will make it easier to find in the table of contents at the top of the page, plus it will make the actual problem itself have larger text.

As for your reward, given that you had to do some "research" to add that entry, I think it'd be fair to call that 750 plat. You can "cash that out" at any time, or keep editing (until Sunday night) to try and hit 3k.
Don't mind at all! So, can I update the wiki with answers I find on the tech support forum, even if I didn't come up with them myself?
Old 04-29-2020, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardylooGubbins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't mind at all! So, can I update the wiki with answers I find on the tech support forum, even if I didn't come up with them myself?
Definitely!

The goal of the Tech Support page (and related pages) is to build a resource that anyone having trouble can use to find their answer. Taking useful knowledge that is scattered across umpteen million posts/threads in the forum, and putting it into that easy-to-find "problem: solution" format so that anyone can access it, is absolutely doing the community a service.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:30 PM
Aviak

Added the following to the Tech Support page:

Game Crashing When Zoning or Camping

Many have reported that running the game in Administrator Mode or setting the file eqgame.exe to run in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2 has solved (or at least reduced) the problem. To set Compatibility Mode:
  • Locate the file eqgame.exe in the folder where you stored your Everquest installation files.
  • Right click and select Properties.
  • Click the Compatibility tab.
  • Click "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
  • Select Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

Note: Some have reported still having issues after changing the settings, so this is not a guaranteed fix.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:42 PM
Aviak

Also added this to the graphics tech support page:

Problem: Can't See Other Player's Spell Effects

Some players report problems with spell effects/animations not displaying properly when cast by other players. This occurs when the spell is cast on a different PC or NPC than the player having the issue.

Potential Solution: It has been reported that this is a big caused by the UI when a player changes spell filters on the main chat window. Possible solutions include resetting the UI or turning on all spell messages in the main chat window.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:52 PM
Aviak

And I added this one. Even though it seems obvious, I sat like a dummy staring at the screen for a couple minutes until I realized what to do, and I saw someone else mention it on the forums.

Problem: The "SonyEQ" Loading Screen Won't Go Away
Just click the mouse button and it lets you through.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

Very cool. Always happy to see people contributing towards the wiki. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:04 PM
Aviak

I also added a section on the tech support page called "Installation Best Practices" and added the following entry:

Create an Installation Backup
After setting up your game the way you like it, copy the contents of your Project 1999 EQ directory to a new directory and name it "Backup" or something similar. If you encounter a problem that requires a reinstallation, simply copy and paste the backup directory's files. This prevents you from having to reinstall everything from scratch.

The above was an old suggestion from Telin on the tech support forum and I thought it was a good idea. Gonna actually go do it myself.
Closed Thread