Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 04:08 PM
Sarnak

Default Torpor soloist gear

Ahoy Shammies!

Aside from Epic and other high-end stat gear, what other toys/clickies should I have on my wishlist to best prepare myself for soloing high end baddies like CG's, Chardok nameds, WW dragons, etc?
Old 08-05-2020, 04:11 PM
Planar Protector

grim aura earring for junk buff
wort pot as an oh shit clickie
WC cap if you can't risk dieing.
SoW Boots for outdoor junkbuff.

An end game goal for you is to get all the POM Flowers. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

---
Edit: Soloing on shaman has a lot more to do with skill than gear,race or clickie.
For the big targets, keep torpor up 99% of the time, even if it means sacrificing DPS.
Slow the target is a priority even if it means losing dps.
Keep thosee junk buffs up or mobs will start dispeling into your good buffs.
Keep your best buffs in the last slots. My advise when buffing is to click off everything, relog and then fully buff up. So it's in proper order when stripped.

Life = Mana = Life

Practicing on the lvl 52 WW dragons or the cliff golem in OT is a great way to get notches on your belt.
Then you can bump it up to things like Ayillish, Guardian Wurm, hell I'd throw Tangrin on the list. These are your end game goals.
Fungi king solo is a lot harder for shaman with how pathing is now.

So long as the mob is slowed, you have torpor rolling and those junk buffs protecting your good buffs.
You can essentially stand there forever with the thing attacking you.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 08-05-2020 at 04:23 PM..
Old 08-05-2020, 06:00 PM
Kobold

The things I never leave home w/ out:

(Common)
Lev Cloak
Sow Boots
Reclaim Energy Item
Wort Pots
WC Cap

(Uncommon)
Feign Death Ring w/ recharge box from Sky
Tooth that summons new pets from the mob in hand room
DA Earring

I think that covers most of the toys that can be super useful as oh shit buttons or even ways to do things like split camps :^)

pom flowers overrated imo
Old 08-05-2020, 06:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ahoy Shammies!

Aside from Epic and other high-end stat gear, what other toys/clickies should I have on my wishlist to best prepare myself for soloing high end baddies like CG's, Chardok nameds, WW dragons, etc?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjZxMlJSCDc&t=218

At roughly this timestamp you can see the names for the clickies I have in my clickies bag. That is usually all I use in fights. I have other situational items like OT Hammer, Wort Pots, Reaper of the Dead, WC cap, etc., but I never really use them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEgFcImQ9XU

Here is a video of me doing WW Dragons. The strategies and clickies are applicable to any soloable WW Dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS3uoIHTu_c

Here is a video of me doing Cryptmaster in Chardok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umuVBewCNgY

Here is a video of me doing Cliff Golems.

Like Baler said, skill is one of the biggest overall factors when doing hard content. A skilled Torpor Shaman can do more with less.

The other thing you need is good resistance gear. Since Shamans don't get a lot of spell interrupts, you need to do quite a bit of spell tanking, which means your resistances need to be pretty decent, or you are going to get hit a lot with nasty spells.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:30 PM
Kobold

Tag on question, similar topic.

I have a 60 shaman with Torpor, Bane, and Poxx (no epic) All of my gear is lore stuff that I could buy in the tunnel. After getting torpor I re-outfitted with more tanky gear instead of wisdom, concentrating on AC, HP, STR, DEX & etc. Now my wisdom is a pathetic 120. Was this a mistake to forego wisdom gear? I read once if you have Torpor wisdom isn't that big a deal......I am not sure I am buying that! After the grind to 60 and Torpor I put the shammy on a shelf but I have a rekindled interest in playing him now and any advice would be appreciated
Old 10-07-2020, 06:46 AM
Banned

AC/HP > Resists > Wisdom+Mana

Of course any worn regen or FT you get helps immensely as well, late game shaman is from what I understand about attrition kills, being able to out sustain bigger targets when you have The skill set is going to require two things, ability to land slow and not taking max damage on those slowed hits or spells. you have the idea with AC/HP/STA but do not forget about resists.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:55 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbparden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tag on question, similar topic.

I have a 60 shaman with Torpor, Bane, and Poxx (no epic) All of my gear is lore stuff that I could buy in the tunnel. After getting torpor I re-outfitted with more tanky gear instead of wisdom, concentrating on AC, HP, STR, DEX & etc. Now my wisdom is a pathetic 120. Was this a mistake to forego wisdom gear? I read once if you have Torpor wisdom isn't that big a deal......I am not sure I am buying that! After the grind to 60 and Torpor I put the shammy on a shelf but I have a rekindled interest in playing him now and any advice would be appreciated
While mana isn't totally irrelevant, you don't get that much out of stacking it. You probably want a decent baseline wisdom (I'd say 160ish) so your mana pool isn't so small that it becomes a problem, but other than that, having a huge mana pool just doesn't really do anything. Throughout a fight your mana will fluctuate between 0% and 70% or something like that. You're never gonna dump an entire full mana bar into something and then med back up to full, it's just not a thing shamans do. The only ones who genuinely get good value out of a huge mana pool are raiding clerics and wizards whose value in a fight is directly proportional to the number of spells they can cast without a med break.
Last edited by Noselacri; 10-07-2020 at 08:58 AM..
Old 10-07-2020, 09:22 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noselacri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While mana isn't totally irrelevant, you don't get that much out of stacking it. You probably want a decent baseline wisdom (I'd say 160ish) so your mana pool isn't so small that it becomes a problem, but other than that, having a huge mana pool just doesn't really do anything. Throughout a fight your mana will fluctuate between 0% and 70% or something like that. You're never gonna dump an entire full mana bar into something and then med back up to full, it's just not a thing shamans do. The only ones who genuinely get good value out of a huge mana pool are raiding clerics and wizards whose value in a fight is directly proportional to the number of spells they can cast without a med break.
160ish sounds good to me! Last night I scuffled some gear around and got to 161 without having to buy anything else. I could get rid of my 65HP rings for some more wisdom but I really don't want to sacrifice 130HP and what 12AC to get it
Old 10-07-2020, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

Larger mana pool is nice when you fight something that resists slow 8 or 10 times in a row and the larger pool can mean the difference between success vs capping out. That type of scenario occurs mainly in a duo/trio with a proper tank where the Shaman's health/armor ratings are mostly irrelevant to begin with, hence why I have not mentioned it in this thread so far--the original post specifically asked about solo setups. A solo Shaman will get good service out of having as much health/armor/resist as he can find while having a more modest mana pool; things like West Wastes dragons aren't all that terribly resistant and mana regeneration coupled with a minimum of damage intake over a long battle matters far more for that type of gameplay.

The above being said, in the end I don't see that it matters ALL that much either way. Simply put the shaman is more than strong enough to overpower almost any equipment deficiency. The wife's shaman is set up more for mana pool and she can solo WW dragons just like any other shaman can. Smaller-pool shamans can and do duo/trio with success. Player experience/comfort and available click items is I think more important.

Danth
Old 10-07-2020, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

A high mana pool is useful on a solo Shaman when you are soloing a hard camp of multiple monsters. Chardok is a good example. Keeping even 3 hard monsters CCed can be extremely mana consuming if you get unlucky resists. At 200 WIS I still sometimes need to gate on multiple Chardok mobs if I get really unlucky.