Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 02:27 PM
Fire Giant

Default A letter to Brad/VR, please contribute

Hey all,
I am just another EQ player, a guy who found Everquest, made life long friends, and enjoy it much like you all. I want to ask you guys to please reply to this thread of anything you would like to share or a story you would like to share to the VR team.

I am going to simply print off every reply in this thread(that isnt a troll) and ship a box of all the replys and stories to the VR team in California. It will make it to the VR team and who knows maybe some of your messages will even make it to the family of Brad. The VR office is probably a quiet one this week and I am hoping to bring some smiles to their faces that what they are doing is meaningful.

I know there is a few posts already about Brad's passing, I am sorry if you already shared a story but pls copy paste it here, i will print it off, and ship it.

I hope alot of you contribute to this. I would love to fill a large box and send it with wonderful messages about just how much he impacted this genre and our lives. Lets show VR that the P99 community cares.

Thank you all
Oralen - 60 Ranger <Core>
Old 11-20-2019, 02:27 PM
Fire Giant

Thank you Brad for the life long work you have done in this online gaming world we live in. Not only has Everquest brought me some of my best gaming memories, it has brought me life long friends that I enjoy playing with each and every day.

To the VR team, I would like you to know that Pantheon is a game myself and many other P99'rs are looking forward to. I hope you guys are able to keep Brad's vision alive and show it through the game itself. I wish you all the best and I am sorry for your loss.

Lots of love from Canada,
Fifield
Old 11-20-2019, 02:50 PM
Fire Giant

Met one of my best friends playing Everquest way back when. He lives half way around the world now, quite literally. But Brad's world of everquest allows us to play games with eachother like we are 12 years old and struggling to hold down orc 1 in EC all over again. Brad gave me and millions of others memories and friendships we will will always cherish. He built worlds, and was nice enough to let us play in them, thankyou Brad, you will be missed.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Sarnak

Everquest is the first game that I felt was a true adventure. And frankly, is still today one of the few games that I feel that way about.

Everquest is an experience that saved my life, having grown up gay and abused in a small redneck town and in a Christian family, and also suffering from major depression and social anxiety. Everquest allowed me to be alive in a world that I loathed.

My life is much more bearable and enjoyable these days, but I'm honestly not sure I'd be here today if I hadn't been able to escape to Norrath. So thank you Mr. McQuaid for literally saving my life. I hope Pantheon makes it through this and the spirit of Everquest and Brad continue to live on through it.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:58 PM
Orc

I started playing right after Luclin. Played a couple days and quit because the game was so hard, and didn't really come with instructions. Then a RL friend found out I bought the game and taught me how to play. Then I started making friends in the game, and I was hooked. No other game before or since gave me that social aspect and kept the in-game challenges coming. WoW seemed like a child's version of EQ, so I never really played it much.

The week before Vanguard came out, the wife and I built custom high end desktops just to play it, and it was still mostly unplayable. But I saw Brad's vision for it. Vanguard should've been the perfect game. It was so hardcore, you could actually die doing tradeskills!

I spent a few days a couple years ago on the P99 FB page talking to Brad about tradeskills, and how awesome they were in Vanguard, and how lots of players wanted to see something like that with the new game. He was just a regular guy who loved this shit as much as we do. If you didn't know who he was, you'd think he was just a regular player.

Retired around 2006 and no other game really did it for me. The Live version isn't the same game, so I eventually came back to play the EMU versions.

Like many others here, I've met friends that I've had for 20 years because of his game. So, I'm really sad to hear of his passing.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:27 AM
Planar Protector

It's strangely reassuring to be able to step into a fantasy world and be subject to its rules, restrictions, and even its bugs. Every time we log in, we are entering into what the developers had once only imagined. That their livelihoods and reputations, along with our memories, are all built upon that creative team effort speaks to the best that people have to offer, regardless of whatever real world circumstances might isolate or alienate them. It has been mentioned in numerous biographies and news stories that games have helped people get through a rough patch in their life. The death of a family member. A bout of depression. And worse.

"In June 2014, ISIS released Danish photojournalist and fellow hostage Daniel Rye Ottosen, and Ottosen called Foley's family to recite a memorized message that came to be known as Foley's final letter. In it, Foley addressed members of his family and described his captivity in a cell with seventeen other hostages, who passed the time with improvised strategy games..."

McQuaid emphasized the need for interdependence in games, likely with the understanding that, in making it closer to a requirement than an option, the game would become a living and therefore less predictable story, where the population had a say in how it was told. Every server had their own stories and characters that were stranger than fiction and more familiar than nonfiction; and Project1999 has had no shortage of these either (McMuffin, Ninik, Bladefrenzy, Greengrocer, etc). Our interactions decades ago and in more recent years would not have happened without McQuaid/Aradune. Thanks to you and those who worked alongside you for the stories. For challenging us in ways that brought everyone together. And for encouraging us to cooperate even as we competed. Good game, well played.
Last edited by Ennewi; 11-21-2019 at 03:34 AM..
Old 11-21-2019, 10:32 AM
Planar Protector

I met brad last year at Pax East and because I had just had kidney surgery and couldn't walk well I dressed super casual in flannel pajama pants and a lumberjack looking blue button down shirt. He said he loved my outfit (which I'm only mentioning because how uncharistically giddy I was for a guy like that to point out) and we talked about pantheon. He was really excited about how fun Enchanters and Bards later on would be to play and said they'd have new and exciting mechanics.
Last edited by Cen; 11-21-2019 at 10:37 AM..
Old 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Fire Giant

I cant take credit for this cause I didnt make the video but a couple of p99 youtubers and eq youtubers have done a tribute brad not sure how you can print these out or if you just want to highlight some notes from these videos Fife its up to you my friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xQhCDMFn20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcKT7bngHKQ

Zekay 60 Torpor Shaman - <Guild>
Old 11-27-2019, 12:32 PM
Fire Giant

Thank you for sharing your stories here, discord, etc.

Will send this out when I am off work today, prob wont hit VR office till next week because it has to cross the border. Its a pretty simple gesture but lets hope it brings a smile to someones face on their team knowing some of us EQ nerds appreciate what they are doing.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-04-2019, 04:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifield [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you for sharing your stories here, discord, etc.

Will send this out when I am off work today, prob wont hit VR office till next week because it has to cross the border. Its a pretty simple gesture but lets hope it brings a smile to someones face on their team knowing some of us EQ nerds appreciate what they are doing.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ahhh amazing friend! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Wish I had contributed earlier but my spirit goes into the gesture.
----------------------------------
[center]
Closed Thread