Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-28-2023, 06:31 AM
Large Rat

Default Warrior for a raider with limited time

I made a human paladin today after help from you guys in my race thread, but I wanted to ask this before I get carried away. I recently hit 55 on my shaman and have done some raiding, but this is my first time playing everquest since I was in grade school, so I don't know much about it.

Are warriors worth it for someone that can only make 1-3 raids each week? To be clear, I don't care if I'm the main tank and I don't ever see that happening, which is why I thought paladin would be better. I guess I'm a boring guy, but I love the idea of mainly just being an auto attacking class and I know I'm that regards I would never get tired of it, I'm mainly concerned with gearing up. The few warriors I do know all either work from home or are on disability, and I just don't have the time that those guys do.

If it matters, I only have 10k to throw around. This would be my main, as I just don't care for the shaman anymore. Constant cannibalizing has started to drive me crazy and I want something more chill.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:21 AM
Planar Protector

Rogue
Old 08-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rogue
Old 08-28-2023, 09:47 AM
Sarnak

Yeah tbh Rogue seems like the best option if you want something chill with 1-button.

Rogues don't pull. Rogues don't need to learn how to tank big bosses, use clickies and whatnot.
Old 08-28-2023, 10:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revanx22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I made a human paladin today after help from you guys in my race thread, but I wanted to ask this before I get carried away. I recently hit 55 on my shaman and have done some raiding, but this is my first time playing everquest since I was in grade school, so I don't know much about it.

Are warriors worth it for someone that can only make 1-3 raids each week? To be clear, I don't care if I'm the main tank and I don't ever see that happening, which is why I thought paladin would be better. I guess I'm a boring guy, but I love the idea of mainly just being an auto attacking class and I know I'm that regards I would never get tired of it, I'm mainly concerned with gearing up. The few warriors I do know all either work from home or are on disability, and I just don't have the time that those guys do.

If it matters, I only have 10k to throw around. This would be my main, as I just don't care for the shaman anymore. Constant cannibalizing has started to drive me crazy and I want something more chill.
If you are planning on soloing a good portion of the time to level, Warrior is going to be a tougher road to travel. Same with Rogue. While I agree with the other posters Rogue does fit your "boring autoattacker" idea, you are going to have a tough time leveling solo with only 10k. As a Rogue you need to be great at forming groups, or have some friends you can level with.

I'd say go with Monk if you plan on soloing often. They are also a "boring autoattacker" class. You will need to learn how to pull if you plan on raiding, however. I am not sure how you feel about pulling.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

I would never discourage someone from playing warrior. It can be a rewarding experience whether or not you raid. It can be frustrating as well.

I’ve never played another class that more keenly felt the impact of every upgrade picked up along the way. Biggest upgrade “feels” are haste (your first and every better drop later) and weapons.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-28-2023, 11:45 AM
Large Rat

Rogue was actually my first pick when I started on p99, but I gave up at level 20ish because I couldn't do anything without a group. I know warriors can't solo with my level of gear, but I thought I could at least kill a blue mob and afk a bit while hp comes back. Is rogue able to do that to any extent when a group isn't available? Not looking to legit solo, just dickin around while trying to get a group going.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revanx22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rogue was actually my first pick when I started on p99, but I gave up at level 20ish because I couldn't do anything without a group. I know warriors can't solo with my level of gear, but I thought I could at least kill a blue mob and afk a bit while hp comes back. Is rogue able to do that to any extent when a group isn't available? Not looking to legit solo, just dickin around while trying to get a group going.
Both Warriors and Rogues can solo with 10k worth of gear since you can afford a good ratio weapon + a haste item. You should also be able to buy https://wiki.project1999.com/Embalmers_Skinning_Knife for infinite bandages.

It's just going to be slower. You are going to be killing a static mob, AFKing while you recover your HP, rinse and repeat. The mob is probably going to need to be a bit lower level than usual XP mobs too, which means less XP per kill.

If you think you can handle that, then you should be fine. You can also try bow kiting mobs if you want to put in more effort. Get Jboots or SoW pots and get your fletching skill up so you can make arrows while out in the field. Buy the arrow ingredients and bring your fletching kit. This will give you more arrows in total than simply bringing arrow stacks.

I am not sure which route ends up being faster, but neither are great compared to other classes that can solo well.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

No, Rogue is the worst solo class in the game. Don't play one if you have any interest whatsoever in soloing. Paladin is not an exceptional soloer, but fairly safe and steady. Kill, heal, med up as needed, repeat.

10k is also plenty to twink a viable solo Paladin. Just get the best ratio 2H weapon you can find, an FBSS/SCHW and fill the rest of your slots with AC/STR/HP gear. Deepwater Helm (clicky heal) will be a must-have by level 46 when you can start clicking it. The bracer and arms are also worth picking up, and they can all be had for a few hundred plat apiece (basically just over the vendor price).
Old 08-28-2023, 12:24 PM
Fire Giant

[re: soloing]
Warrior and Rogue both solo poorly unless you're going hard with the twinkage (think fungi). You have no spells or abilities so basically you're stuck picking off blues near zone lines.

The hybrids and Monks can do this much more convincingly. Turns out spells and abilities give you more options—who knew.

[re: raiding]
Warriors are desired on raids, but you're gonna get called to MT (or get relentlessly clowned on) and gear upgrades might be pretty slow. However, if you can MT a little, you will be loved.

Paladin, you will tank trash or ramp tank sometimes, but mostly you're gonna auto-attack and cast a buff. Sometimes you'll be asked to not attack, but rather watch the tank's HP and click Soulfire CH charges.

As a Rogue you're going to autoattack. Sometimes they might want you to use your disc to bump, but even if you're bad at this you will be loved, as rogues are so necessary for velious raids.

Monks are great autoattackers and basically never tank (exception being you're practically BiS and vocal about it), but will be asked to pull. Pulling is fun, but tricky and potentially stressful. You will get clowned on if you just autoattack in camp—"camp monk" will be your name. Gear upgrades will also be competitive. Like Rogues you will be asked to bump.

Rangers basically just cast 1 buff and autoattack. You will also have to bump from time to time. People will love you because melees really want that 1 buff. If you manage to not suck at bumping you will be a hero.

That being said, I think Paladin is good choice if you enjoy it. Ranger also seems up you're alley. Being camp monk is also a time honored tradition of shaman mains, so I wouldn't rule it out.