Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Planar Protector

Monks should never get the triple attack here
Old 05-08-2019, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is a little surprising to hear you feel rangers so easily out tank your rogue.

Honestly, I'm not really expecting a rogue to take the tank role over a ranger; Rangers have great tools for controlling mobs, which rogues don't. Rogues do great dos with backstabbing. The meta dictates rangera gear and buff to tank adequately and keep their defence skills up. From what I understand these are not such priorities to a rogue?

My point is rogues aren't expected to step up as tank while maintank is AFK or has to unexpectedly leave. As such you're not exactly obliged to gear up much beyond epic+offhand.
Rogue defensive skills are better than most people give them credit for. They mitigate and avoid aggro better than rangers. Rangers function in the tank role globally better thanks to potent, cheap, and fast casting aggro, but when it comes to who actually takes less damage when being beat on, rogues are undeniably superior. Unlike rangers, though, when they ARE taking the damage they take a massive hit to their primary duty of making things dead (no backstab). Rangers suffer no more or less damage output than any of the real plate tanks or a monk.

Rouges can tank, it’s just not ideal to have them do it. Dps drops acutely and they’ve got no real way of quickly establishing and aggro lead or getting it back once it’s lost.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 05-08-2019, 03:25 PM
Sarnak

Depends on the Rogue and how well prepared they are. If I know I might need to tank, I bring slow poison. Downside is that it requires 10 seconds between mobs, upside is that it is a huge aggro opener+slow+root that trivializes taking initial aggro.

Also, Rogues have the same defensive skills as warriors, and get extra bonuses from high AGI no one else gets (EDIT: actually, I think monks also get this, and more of it). We just have relatively low HP and worse AC returns over the soft cap, plus a disincentive to gear for AC since it is so rarely our job to tank things. We can do ok though.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Fire Giant

Rogue can take some hits early in the game but once you get higher up (certainly 50+) rogues are very poor tanks and a ranger is better. Even if they take equal damage, rogues lose utility when tanking because they cant backstab and rangers have ways of getting mob aggro that rogues do not.

Rogues are underrated pullers on p99. Thats a better second role than tanking imo
Old 05-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expediency [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even if they take equal damage, rogues lose utility when tanking because they cant backstab and rangers have ways of getting mob aggro that rogues do not.
Rogues don’t take equal damage, they take less. Look up the skill differences defense/riposte/parry/dodge. Rangers cap low. Rogues cap high. Same returns on stamina, same base armor archetype.

Don’t get me wrong, rangers make unequivocally better functional tanks. They have aggro spells. Rogues give up backstab (huge loss), rangers give up next to nothing. But when it comes to raw damage intake when being hit ... rogues are stout and only suffer from not wearing plate and having the same low hp tables as bards/rangers. If threat weren’t an issue, they would outperform rangers.

Rangers are, from a strictly damage intake perspective, the paper tanks of EQ. Literally every other melee class will take less damage if gear levels are identical. Rogue, bard, monk, warrior, sk, pal ... all will take less damage once the hits come rolling in. Being the “paper tank” doesn’t mean they can’t do the job. They can and they actually do well thanks to the snap aggro (they are 1 of 4 melee/hybrids that do this). Warriors do fine on aggro but lack the “on demand” part of it.

TLDR:

-Rogues aren’t tanks. They take hits surprisingly well and this is often overlooked, but having them do so over literally anyone else who CAN do it is a waste. Better to let the shaman tank and let the rogue pew pew.
-Rangers take more damage than any other melee. They have great aggro and are more than “good enough” to get the job done (eq ain’t hard). They are not a bad choice to tank if needed.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 05-08-2019, 10:30 PM
Sarnak

Cool thanks all for the responses. Decided to roll with the monk as the versatility I think will make it more rewarding. Any have any recommendations on where to hunt and what gear to look for? This monk currently has some random gear but aside from epic, fungi and fbss nothing to write home about.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:21 AM
Banned

play both!

Sebilis OOC: "56 monk or 56 rogue lfg"
Old 05-09-2019, 08:40 AM
Planar Protector

The question is do you want to pull and sometimes tank, because you will be asked to do both as a monk.

If you want a chill experience play a rogue.
Closed Thread