Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 10:51 PM
Planar Protector

Default Another Wiki Challenge

TLDR; Up to 1.7k plat per player is up for grabs for those willing to help the wiki with some work. And my previous challenge is back too.

I'm having another challenge to offload work to lowbies give lower level players a chance to help the wiki and earn some bonus plat, potentially up to 1.7k.

I recently came up with a new wiki feature. If you go to Boridain Glacierbane's page you can see the new feature by mousing over the "(Show on Map)" link (near the "Location:" field). A map will appear showing where to find Boridain. This feature works on any mob in Eastern Wastes (and Rivervale) ... but nowhere else.

To make it work in other zones someone needs to "calculate" (it's really more like "guess until you get the right number") where the 0, 0" spot is on the map and what "zoom" factor the map has. It's a kind of techie and annoying process, but it's not actually all that hard. That process is laid out on this page: http://wiki.project1999.com/Loc_Maps.

So here's the challenge part: everyone who helps out and adds a city zone gets 700 plat (which you can pickup in the EC Tunnel). To avoid duplicating work, if you're going to add a zone edit the Loc Maps page in the wiki first (add your zone to the list but say "coming soon" after it). Please only "claim" one zone at a time. Also note that some cities (eg. Freeport) have multiple zones, and each one counts separately for this contest.

If you want to keep going I'll give 500p for the next two you do after the first, for a grand total of 1.7k plat possible. After that you're welcome to keep helping (including doing non-city zones), but my bank account can't fund any more than that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If all that is too much for you I'm also re-offering my previous challenge, to anyone who didn't participate the first time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm holding a mini-contest with a prize of 500 plat. All you have to do to enter is help with one of those three pages. Now I know 500 plat isn't very much on this server, but if you're low level and on your first character then it can provide a nice boost, so this is intended specifically for such new folks.

All you have to do to "enter" is add one new entry: one hunting spot, one place to make plat, or one fashion screenshot, that the wiki didn't already have. Then just reply to this thread with a link to the change and a brief description so I know what you added. That's it.
Both the new challenge and the old last until 7/14/2019 (ie. you can still spend the weekend leveling and have time to enter afterward). If you're doing the loc work you don't need to post back here unless you want to, as I'll get your PM with the zone info. Be sure to include when a good time to meet up is so I can give you your plat.

Hopefully some newer folks enjoy this chance to earn some bonus plat, while helping everyone find city NPCs on the wiki more easily!

P.S. Feel free to improve (eg. add screenshots to) the Loc Maps page itself. It's a wiki!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:08 PM
Large Bat

North Qeynos is done. I can't send you a private message; I don't have permission. I literally have no idea why. Do I have to get some posts first?
Old 07-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
North Qeynos is done. I can't send you a private message; I don't have permission. I literally have no idea why. Do I have to get some posts first?
The forum has an anti-spam feature, to keep non-EQ people from signing up and then private messaging everyone with ads for penis pills (or similar garbage). I believe to get around it you have to make at least five posts, and your account might need to be older than a week (month?) too: I'm not sure about the details unfortunately.

If anyone can't contact me through the forum you can use my "Talk page" on the wiki to contact me. Just edit http://wiki.project1999.com/index.ph...r_talk:Loramin and leave a message at the end (be sure to "sign" it using the sign icon on the toolbar).

And with all that out of the way ... congrats to Backle for being the first winner, with not just North but also South Qeynos! Now if anyone wants to find Priestess Jahnda, Captain Rohand, or any of the other residents of Qeynos, they'll be able to do so more easily thanks to Backle! (And Backle also earned 1.2k in the process!)

There's plenty of cities left and my bank account isn't (yet) dry, so let's keep 'em coming [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:38 PM
Planar Protector

In game currency for out of game work? My my
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In game currency for out of game work? My my
You trolled my last challenge too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wasnt vyemm up for like 2 days? Why didnt you kill him
You got away with it then, despite the fact that this is the opposite of Rants and Flames, it's the Starting Zone, and the forum rules (which I quoted to you last time) are very clear:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Rules
Trolling
If you must troll another user, keep it contained to Rants and Flames. Don’t over do it.
Let's see what happens this time.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:44 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I'm doing North Freeport now - but I've never edited the wiki before and my "coming soon" for it is not saving. Would anyone be able to tell me what I need to do for that?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2019, 12:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauxe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm doing North Freeport now - but I've never edited the wiki before and my "coming soon" for it is not saving. Would anyone be able to tell me what I need to do for that?

Thanks!
I'm not sure why you can't save; maybe try logging out and then back in?

Also, it seems the Freeport maps don't actually line up, so let's leave Freeport off of the challenge (unless someone can find a loc-accurate classic Freeport map).

Also, congrats to Backle for adding Oggok, which (along with North and South Qeynos) makes him the first to earn the full reward! And congratulations also to Mauxe, who added Northern Felwithe.

We're really starting to make this feature a reality, thanks for the help all!

Old 07-07-2019, 01:32 AM
Planar Protector

Not sure what your wall of text was meant to be but you seem to be in violation of the rmt rules. . .
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Not sure what your wall of text was meant to be but you seem to be in violation of the rmt rules. . .
As you well know I've done this sort of thing in the past, and the staff has never had a problem with it.

The amounts of plat I give out are not large, and really this whole challenge is no different than me standing in EC giving out my plat to random lowbies as a "welcome to the server" package ... except that with the challenge it's those who help the wiki (vs. those who were in EC at the right time) who get my plat.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:11 AM
Skeleton

It's a relief to know there is an issue with Freeport. I got quite frustrated trying to do West Freeport last night, and I'm glad that the problem isn't my ability to follow instructions.
Closed Thread