Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Aviak

Default You haven't played classic Everquest until...?

So here's my premise. I'm creating a checklist of things you have to experience to truly capture the essence of classic EQ.

Ideas:

- You haven't experienced classic EQ until you've died to some idiot's train in Crushbone.
- You haven't experienced classic EQ until your group decides to move in just a bit farther and then immediately wipes.
- You haven't experienced classic EQ until your corpse run involves boats.
- You haven't experienced classic EQ until you finally got Pyzgn to spawn... but she didn't drop the GBS.

I played live EQ hardcore from '99 to '03. I've dabbled around on P99 fairly extensively but now that real life dictates more than when I was just a kid, I'm can't really go back. But if I play the game in a certain way, a way that makes crafting your own banded armor really special then it can be fun again even in small doses.

So I'm rolling up a Wood-elf Warrior, Stellvia, to level up with the following ruleset:

- Cannot use any gear that I didn't loot, craft, or ninja (ninja'ing is classic!)
- Cannot beg for buffs, drive-by buffs are OK.
- Cannot buy items from other players.

The goal is to "win" the game by meeting some cool friends (classic Everquest = community building downtime) and to "win" by looting/crafting silly items that should be casually farmable. Basically anything that invokes nostalgia turns into a win.

If you're interested in watching, I'll be streaming my play on twitch (twitch.tv/mistersuits) or just message me in game on my warrior, Stellvia.

Also, please add the things that truly make the classic EQ experience to this thread so I can add them to my list and check them off.

See you in game.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Kobold

I am trying to have an open-mind when reading your post, but to me, adding restrictions that have to be thought of only stifle your limited game time. If you have limited time to play, why not just play freely, and not put too much thought into it. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you want to immerse yourself into the world of EQ, in ways that are impossible on other games, I would suggest you do something similar to what Greengrocer has come up with. He roleplays an actual grocer, in EC and has come up with imaginative alternate gambling games to accompany his "grocery store" in the tunnel.

Perhaps you could create a blacksmith who peddles your wares in the tunnel alongside Greengrocer? You mentioned you wanted to craft banded armor etc. I am sure the ideas are endless, that's for you to choose of course.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

You haven't played classic EQ until you're nuked to death in CB by a dark elf hiding behind orcs. Extra points for losing your leather armor.

Red99
Old 02-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Fire Giant

This seems like a terrible idea.

Blue
: Seniksin | Jarshale
Red: Sieg | Cazissa
Old 02-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Kobold

It isn't classic EQ until you argue with a group member who refuses to turn on split yet loots all of the corpses. You need those coppers and silvers, damnit!
Old 02-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Planar Protector

Much fun is had watching 2+ lootwhores in the group all race for the corpse as it drops. Continues even into Sebilis.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:22 AM
Kobold

It isnt classic till youve been killed by griffins while medding.
It isnt classic till youve accidentally hit a guard in a new city and die before you could get a bind.
It isnt classic till someone yells out "Can someone res the ranger again pls?"
Old 02-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Sarnak

Until you've gotten up early to play and the server immediately comes down and realize you now have nothing to do
Old 02-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Until you've gotten up early to play and the server immediately comes down and realize you now have nothing to do
I just checked that one off my list!
Old 02-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Planar Protector

I know im playing classic eq when I die to some BS and ragequit. after the /q waiting for the you currently have a char logged in message to fade. That moment the rage is subsiding I get a moment of clarity and i know im playing classic eq

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Closed Thread