Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 05:56 AM
Fire Giant

Default Mobs should lose aggro based on distance from target

I think this has been discussed before but no one can find proof. I happened to be looking up Holgresh Elder Beads and found this:

http://www.monkly-business.net/forum...ead.php?t=8629

07-04-2001

Quote:
Also, if you are too far from the mob it will sometimes not come for you, but stay on it’s spot with the normal “increased” agro range (ie, just as if you had outrun it).
Quote:
I was playing with this in chardok today, and was trying to pull mobs to the zone out. THey never aggrod on me though. After several tries i finally went in myself. Apparently i HAD actually aggrod all those mobs, but was too far away for them to come after me. Once i went to them, they trained me before i even got close enough to pull them 8(
Mobs should forget you if you get far away from them and remember you once you get close again.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:10 PM
Sarnak

I don't think the issue was lack of proof; I remember reading that it wasn't an easy fix and it would take some time to implement.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

There are certain mobs with longer chase distances than others.

Torven has done some extensive research on this. For example VP Dragons have unlimited chase distance, whereas some trash in PoValor dropped after like 1000' or something.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:08 PM
Banned

Strange one of my strongest memories of eq, versus say WOW, was no distance dropping of agro. Zone was the only way. I mostly played classic to kunark though...
Old 11-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are certain mobs with longer chase distances than others.

Torven has done some extensive research on this. For example VP Dragons have unlimited chase distance, whereas some trash in PoValor dropped after like 1000' or something.
Some mobs could forget REALLY quickly.

If I had an add on a pull in Wall of Slaughter with my berserker I'd hit it with a snare, sprint away and then run back to the group and I'd lose the snared mob(s) but retain the one that ran full speed.

Berserkers were really fun to play. Its a shame everyone else hated them!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Strange one of my strongest memories of eq, versus say WOW, was no distance dropping of agro. Zone was the only way. I mostly played classic to kunark though...
You didn't drop aggro they just stopped chasing.

This lead to epic trains, like once you travel back into their chase range they run back at you. Even hours later. Atleast that's how I recall it working, which is described in the second quote from above.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:43 PM
Aviak

On top of the "stopping chasing" and keeping you on their hate list, they would spread your agro, so u go back to the mob and 50 mobs come running out. I remember figuring this one out the hardway in crushbone.

It was a "If person is beyond X range, return to spawn point" then once person gets in range re-engage. It was a nasty way of trains being created in crushbone. It was also not all mobs, but most.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:22 PM
Kobold

Bump, this fiddly mechanic was what helped me swarm kite (charm) on my bard back in the day, once you got far enough away all would attack pet
Old 03-12-2017, 10:47 PM
Planar Protector

Bump 2 resolve?

Amax MNK / Amalgamax ROG / maximum
Begging (227)

EQ Map Archive (1,000+ images)
P99 WikiEQ Patch Chronology
Closed Thread