Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 03:11 AM
Planar Protector

Default New World

Anyone else been following the New World MMO? It's had a pretty chaotic development, but the closed beta last month was more fun than I expected.

There was a 3-day open beta announcement to stress test the servers on Sept 9-12 via Steam. I'm definitely gonna jump in and mess around.

Personally, I really enjoyed the crafting system, and the no-target action based combat was also really fun. There are some things that need improvement of course (mob variety, and pvp faction balancing stood out for me during the closed beta), though I only leveled to the low 20s during the 2-week closed beta, so I don't have any experience in the top end content.

For those that have experienced the alpha or beta tests, what have been your impressions of the game? Anyone planning to play it at launch on sept 28th?
Old 08-28-2021, 03:25 AM
Banned

It looks like it has a lot of potential

but tbh the combat reminds me too much of ESO combat and I don't think its for me
Old 08-28-2021, 04:14 AM
Planar Protector

I didn't play ESO at all, so I can't really comment on it's similarity. The best description I've seen of the combat style so far is like a more forgiving Dark Souls. You really can't button mash and faceroll through stuff. You get staggered if you take hits, so you need to block and dodge and time your attacks or you'll have a bad time.

The classless system is also appealing. Changing armor/weapon types at will (weapon damage/perks/skills tied to weapon proficiency that needs to be leveled up) gives some flexibility in playstyle if you want it without having to roll 15 alts.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Looks amazing to me.

It was a little Small on enemy contact like they had skeletons which instantly gives it an A+ as far as I’m concerned but they kind of over used as a skeletons.

I’m hoping they add more monsters and stuff to fight.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:46 PM
Fire Giant

I remember watching in the first preview a while back, playing was so much better than watching.

I think the world map will be 75% larger in the release, the way they have the HUB town system set up is setup to be like Shadowbane/EVE/Planetside in the sense of a mass scale PVP with a PVE/Economy that fuels the PVP/Landgrab/Tax.

Preview was oddly different than closed beta, They seemed to just be directing people to test specific content in Closed beta, especially PVP. I don't think we have seen much of what will be in release. Spent most my time playing just exploring and the lore explains a ton of stuff it seems no one is paying attention to.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

I lowkey think this is going to scratch some of the itches EQ has only for me and it both scares and excites me.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:02 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I lowkey think this is going to scratch some of the itches EQ has only for me and it both scares and excites me.
It does. Although I am still hoping Smedley makes his own MMO with Amazon, he is working for Amazon Orange so Id bet because of New Worlds success they will release more MMO with him as lead or at least hiring the lead devs to make something more like EQ.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Looks amazing to me.

It was a little Small on enemy contact like they had skeletons which instantly gives it an A+ as far as I’m concerned but they kind of over used as a skeletons.

I’m hoping they add more monsters and stuff to fight.
Yeah, the mob variety was pretty sparse in the early levels. Skeletons/zombies/wolves/bears/humans was pretty much all I saw. I heard there were some cool new enemy types in the higher level zones, but I didn't have the time to get above mid-20s in the 2 weeks. Considering the game was aiming to be a PvP sandbox with no PvE content like a year ago, and what we see now, I have no doubt they'll improve on mob variety as time goes on. I mean, it's also Amazon. A game studio with infinite money to pull from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawk
I think the world map will be 75% larger in the release, the way they have the HUB town system set up is setup to be like Shadowbane/EVE/Planetside in the sense of a mass scale PVP with a PVE/Economy that fuels the PVP/Landgrab/Tax.
I'm not sure how big the release map will be, but in the beta I spent the majority of my time in like 2 of the areas (Windsward (sp?) and Everfall) with a few quests bringing me out to other areas temporarily. In beta, there was more than 10 accessible areas I think?

The territory control concept was neat, with serverwide buffs for your chosen faction based on which areas your team controlled. I didn't get a chance to do any of the 50 vs 50 battles for city control since I was low level, but I look forward to giving that a shot at launch.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It does. Although I am still hoping Smedley makes his own MMO with Amazon, he is working for Amazon Orange so Id bet because of New Worlds success they will release more MMO with him as lead or at least hiring the lead devs to make something more like EQ.
Have you heard about Pantheon?
Old 08-30-2021, 02:41 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Y
I'm not sure how big the release map will be, but in the beta I spent the majority of my time in like 2 of the areas (Windsward (sp?) and Everfall) with a few quests bringing me out to other areas temporarily. In beta, there was more than 10 accessible areas I think?

The territory control concept was neat, with serverwide buffs for your chosen faction based on which areas your team controlled. I didn't get a chance to do any of the 50 vs 50 battles for city control since I was low level, but I look forward to giving that a shot at launch.
I assume it will be much more mass open world PVP in the center area but the way the hubs are set up seems very Lineage 2 and the map assuming its larger will have a heavy pvp combat middle area that is open pvp like emain in Daoc fighting for relic boosts kind of thing they will be more sought after but it will be more open battle rather than instanced battle like in the beta.

Also assume servers will then be way more clustered as the map will have way more people on it being bigger. All the beach is a spawning zone.

The preview/closed just seem more like a demo procured for testing mainly. The map alone looks like 10% of a map.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you heard about Pantheon?

Of coarse I think I already bought it a while back, that and the kick starter for Camelot Unchained. SoonTM.
Last edited by Shawk; 08-30-2021 at 02:44 AM..
Closed Thread