Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 02-21-2024, 08:59 PM
Large Bat

Default Paladin vs Ranger......

I think this is the best place to post this.

For the sake of discussion, which class has more utility, can solo/group better etc.?

Now, before this thread goes too far, lets base the discussion on a causal player, who wants to do some soloing and some grouping, and doesn't have the free time of a part time job to play the game.

Gear wise, assume reasonably priced gear that can be bought in the tunnel, some no drop / light raiding gear, some relatively attainable BiS gear, and minimal to no gear that required excessive dkp.

Thoughts???
Old 02-21-2024, 09:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think this is the best place to post this.

For the sake of discussion, which class has more utility, can solo/group better etc.?

Now, before this thread goes too far, lets base the discussion on a causal player, who wants to do some soloing and some grouping, and doesn't have the free time of a part time job to play the game.

Gear wise, assume reasonably priced gear that can be bought in the tunnel, some no drop / light raiding gear, some relatively attainable BiS gear, and minimal to no gear that required excessive dkp.

Thoughts???
If you want to delve into dungeons, pick Paladin. If you prefer outdoor zones, go Ranger. Both have some utility in raids, so you won't have a problem there if you choose to raid.

Ranger will start off stronger than Paladin. They get their kit earlier and can bow kite mobs above their own level. A Paladin for the first 30-40 levels is going to feel like a lower DPS Warrior with lull/root.

Once you get into your 40s the Paladin is going to start doing much better, and will be able to sustain in melee much longer than a Ranger.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:38 PM
Fire Giant

Rangers deal better DPS, can fear kite animals and have a lot of outdoor utility. Paladins deal bad DPS, but are sturdier (esp. 50+) and have solid indoor utility.

Rangers get the nod for better soloing 1-50 for sure and better raid desirability as well (DPS stacks well and Weaponshield is always useful). But if you want to be tankier and derp around dungeons, the nod goes to Paladin.
Old 02-22-2024, 03:26 AM
Planar Protector

Both fun classes able to do a variety of content all the way to 60. If you can get Dark Cloak of the Sky, Swiftwind and Earthcaller ranger gets especially cool 51+.

Personally I would pick Paladin, if only because I’ve more recently levelled a ranger to 60.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 02-22-2024, 08:40 AM
Planar Protector

Aside from the indoor/outdoor thing, the group role of a paladin is basically always going to be tank. A ranger can hold aggro very well, but is usually only a tank in the absence of a plate tank. Both will be asked to pull pretty often, although in the outdoor dungeons the ranger will be pulling for sure.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:17 AM
Planar Protector

paladin
Old 02-22-2024, 02:02 PM
Planar Protector

I’d say Paladin. Can pacify, root, hp/ac buff, Rez, heal and stun. Plus wear plate and with a good 2hander like Reaver or Herbalist Spade you can do some serious damage.
Old 02-22-2024, 02:42 PM
Fire Giant

Ranger is the first in. Paladin is the last out.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:26 PM
Kobold

i feel like ranger needs more investment but they can be true raid ballers with those stronk melee buffs and the ability to step up and save whole engagements from wipe w/ a bump

paladins will rule ass in group content, and won't have to rely on animal fear / bow kiting at high level, and can root/heal on bad rng solo fights with DW clicks. both classes have a bit of overlap, actually, w/ root parking and harmo/lull but paladins don't have to be outdoors to hit peak shine and obviously tank better.

i've not played either class past like 20s or 30s, so take me with a grain of salt of course.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:40 PM
Planar Protector

invest in kilvas w/ paladin

bigly