Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 03:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
faction and cumbersome size never become irrelevant. players can eventually mitigate them, sure. but players can also mitigate racials (stats) through gear. FSI is an outlier but it's not like you need FSI to raid tank for the biggest baddest guilds, or solo big bad content, etc etc. gear is king
True, gear is the great equalizer, though not all races can use some of that gear. Still, the point wasn't that these innate abilities are OP and should be offset to level the playing field, but that the choice of race ought to have required more consideration from a min/max perspective. By granting abilities of greater value to the player, whether from the start or through experience, race levels gained in tandem with class levels, the game would have played very differently between each main and alt. EQ being an old game, that's no fault of its own of course and could have ruined a good thing by reaching too far, the way Vanguard did graphically.

Even for how well-rounded they are, monks serve as a good example of how the game plays very differently compared to other classes. The contrast between pros and cons leaves no room for ambiguity. A monk outperforms a shadow knight more often than not and in more ways than one. Both have access to feign death, but in different forms. That's where things get interesting imo, when the pros and cons are more situational. The same meaningful distinctions are not there between say, wood elves and dark elves or humans and erudites. By and large, the substantial race differences that exist are tied to size, unintentionally, with gnomes having wall vision and ogres being able to form a wall at Tunare fights.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is called willful ignorance.
Beggar Prince 🤴
Old 07-13-2021, 04:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Being stunned is an aggro loss.
Procs really all that matters on agro, and I feel like I almost always proc after the split second I'm stunned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-13-2021, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allishia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Procs really all that matters on agro, and I feel like I almost always proc after the split second I'm stunned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you tank better then you pull, hope this helps.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:39 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you tank better then you pull, hope this helps.
Lmao yes, I am really bad monk once they nerfed sneak pulls /nod
Old 07-15-2021, 10:18 AM
Banned

It's a sizable loss of threat by comparison and especially matters for the first warrior in the tank line. There's no debate there.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:26 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You give something up for everything you gain, otherwise you're that much closer to being OP and might as well have GM powers. It's not about balancing everything into an uninteresting state, just making players weigh the pros and cons of each choice.
A class should not be punished for not picking Iksar.

Players should not be penalised for picking good rather than evil.

There is no debate; the player should be able to pick good and not be penalised for it.

Evil should be penalised for being stupid. Why are good being penalised for being good? What have good done wrong to warrant being worse than evil?
Old 07-15-2021, 10:28 AM
Planar Protector

There is a dead dwarf cut in half on full display in the town center of Grobb.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:34 AM
Sarnak

Erudite Lives Matter
Old 07-15-2021, 11:45 AM
Kobold

At least Erudites get some nice ERU only items.

Human monks get…. Qeynos badge of honor and an Inny neck? For the same slot.
Closed Thread