Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 02:18 PM
Banned

I tried it out. It reminds me a lot of Destiny (if any you guys play that)

lots of grinding and searching of materials, crafting random items, grinding dungeons

pvp was just spam all your abilities and hope you hit something

multiple melee characters attacking 1 thing can be a clusterfuck

but the graphics are all alright and lag was pretty minimal
Old 10-06-2021, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To my knowledge they have a cosmetic cash shop right now, which as we've seen can be a large money maker for video game studios.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Amazon is willing to eat losses quarter over quarter in the future in order to have the game continue to go well. That would be totally consistent with Amazon's operating strategy when they have first delved into different areas in the past. They're willing to eat that loss for awhile in order to gain market share in the space; i.e. eat a loss for awhile on New World as long as overall the reception continues to be positive because it's part of Amazon's broader goal of establishing themselves as a reputable video game design studio, which means more and more money for them as they develop and release future games.
Yup, loss-leaders are a common strategy. Also in this case they literally have their own hosting infrastructure service so I can't imagine "losing" an infinitesimal percentage of their business concerns them at all.

It's good marketing too - I wasn't on at launch, but I've seen exactly zero server issues and no login queues or anything that's plagued tons of other MMO releases.

-Mcoy
Old 10-11-2021, 12:11 AM
Planar Protector

Just an update: Massive launch queues seem to be resolved. Few bugs here and there that are annoying (pinned quests disappearing, compass resource tracking disappearing, few other minor things) but nothing gamebreaking for me so far.

I'm level 43 and still enjoying the hell out of it. I was ahead of the leveling curve in the first week, but now I'm middle of the pack with quite of few of the sweaty no-lifers already 60 in the 13 days since launch.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:04 AM
Planar Protector

pics plz

saw a friends character looked p cool but not enough to get me to ruin my life and play an mmo rn
Old 10-11-2021, 09:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yup, loss-leaders are a common strategy. Also in this case they literally have their own hosting infrastructure service so I can't imagine "losing" an infinitesimal percentage of their business concerns them at all.

It's good marketing too - I wasn't on at launch, but I've seen exactly zero server issues and no login queues or anything that's plagued tons of other MMO releases.

-Mcoy
They don't have their own infrastructure. Amazon Studios is not the same entity that runs their cloud service. Those guys expect to be paid like anywhere else. Sure, there is discount for in-house services, but there's no way New World is getting anything for 'free'. There is internal billing going on, that's how taxes are evaded.

Because NW is not charging a monthly price, their revenue stream is sure to decrease as the initial surge dies down. The only answer to this is microtransactions, or let's not blow smoke up anyone's ass with corporate propaganda and call them what they really are; transactions.

There's only so many skins and useless doo-dads people can buy. We'll see if that's enough over long term or will it turn to pay-to-win idk.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They don't have their own infrastructure. Amazon Studios is not the same entity that runs their cloud service. Those guys expect to be paid like anywhere else. Sure, there is discount for in-house services, but there's no way New World is getting anything for 'free'. There is internal billing going on, that's how taxes are evaded.

Because NW is not charging a monthly price, their revenue stream is sure to decrease as the initial surge dies down. The only answer to this is microtransactions, or let's not blow smoke up anyone's ass with corporate propaganda and call them what they really are; transactions.

There's only so many skins and useless doo-dads people can buy. We'll see if that's enough over long term or will it turn to pay-to-win idk.
But again, Amazon’s usual strategy when first entering a space is to be totally fine taking a loss as long as it helps build their brand. If they can make Amazon Games considered a legitimate development studio for the future, they will be totally fine taking a loss with New World. That’s completely consistent with their corporate strategy.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:16 AM
Fire Giant

Jeff Bezos is a punk.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

For transparency's sake, I feel I should mention this. I fully expect New World with go to some level of pay-to-win in the future. During the final alpha test they introduced the cash shop and it included some pay-to-win elements. There was a strong community backlash and the shop was changed to cosmetic only. When they announced the change, their wording was vague, but they did specifically mention that the cash shop would be cosmetic only throughout 2021.

A lot of people took this to mean that they would phase in some pay-to-win elements in 2022. The number 1 thing that most players expect to see in the shop is Azoth. Azoth is a resource that is usually acquired slowly through quest completions, killing of certain monsters, or gathering tradeskills if you have a specific perk on your gathering tool. Going from 0 azoth to the 1000 cap could take several hours grinding. This resource is expended for fast traveling and also used in crafting to increase the chance to get extra bonuses on crafted items.

Personally, I hope they don't go this route and just pump out cool cosmetics and decorative housing items, but it's Amazon, so yeah...
Old 10-11-2021, 11:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
pics plz

saw a friends character looked p cool but not enough to get me to ruin my life and play an mmo rn
I have taken a total of 0 screenshots while playing so far. I'll try to remember to take a few next time I play. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-12-2021, 04:55 AM
Planar Protector

Default It's just cosmetics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Mblake1981; 10-12-2021 at 04:59 AM..
Closed Thread