Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 12:58 PM
Banned

Default The death of a gaming PC.

It's a lot like the death of someone, or some pet you've invested such time with and grown to love.

They're such fragile and weak creations. One bit errors and memory failures. Page faults. Leading to inevitable permanent failure. Such a cruel fate. And I don't even remember how to preform major surgery and restore them from the dead.

R.I.P. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-25-2021, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Old 09-25-2021, 01:03 PM
Banned

There has to be a lesson in this.

"Computer go bbrrrrrrr... im so cold..."
Old 09-25-2021, 06:56 PM
Banned

what do u need, im DROWNING in parts and banned from ebay for being 2 sick 2 ship. and we just got investors [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-25-2021, 07:37 PM
Planar Protector

was the pc vaccinated ?
Old 09-25-2021, 08:02 PM
Banned

A new HD and reinstall. Plus updated firmware. Pretty sure the video card and CPU is fine. RAM could be bad also, dunno if it's the ram or SSD. Or both. Or mobo. Need to disable page file, run SMART on it. Update firmware. Drivers. Renable page file. All that is super scary, I don't have a backup power supply so it'll get bricked if there's lightning or my hood has a power surge. It's pretty unreliable here lol. Just finding the right files for the chips and getting that all done is a beastly big deal. For me.

I'll post specs later. The mobo is shady AF Asus Tuf (untuf). Though.

Swapping the CPU to a new one's probably a bad idea for me.. I'm an idiot with the pastes and it's water cooled.

Tbh. The idea of gutting this thing, or getting into the guts scares TF out of me. I think I'm right though, it's probably bad memory or bad SSD.

I haven't fucked with moving data. Reinstalling n shit in ages. I could toss the SSD and back up the data drive and do a reinstall onto the old-school 1TB spinnyboi.. Doubt I could get windows to copy over though lol. Does windows have a USB boot disk with online install? And can I transfer my key..

Paying someone to do it's kinda pointless, they'll want like $500 and I don't trust anyone at all. I keep to much personal info and insane writings on there, even if I deleted my psycho ramblings I would worry about someone stealing them and impersonating me. Nothing illegal, haxed, or w/e, just don't want the plebes2know the true nature of reality n dox me hardcore.

Money isn't the issue for me right now. It's the headspace and sanity of building a new PC with the left over parts and feeling confident I didn't just fuck up a nice cpu.

Case is pretty decent tho. So is the PSU.

Idk. If you could really help me Impk. If I lived next door I'd probably give u $600 and ask u to fix it or install a nice fat spinny 5tb drive and see if that solves it.

I was screwing with the radeon software and ryzen master. The temps are fine. Underclocking it didn't help. Can play my games and stay pretty cool. Tho during the 90-120F days here I need to underclock, fps limit, drop settings to keep it from Prochot'ting. I play mostly old games anyway.

Likely the heat cooked the SSD. Or Ram.

Contemplating buying like an Alienware laptop or something or maybe a cheap ass lenovolike laptop for business and a console and trying to give up on PC gaming all together. Or like a console and an Artsy fartsy tablet like I always wanted anyway.

Pros to PC or laptop, during the summer I can play old-school games. Underclock it and play p99 at the beach in 98F weather with my starlink. Do art. And write manifestos, treatises on utopia and interdimensional being conspiracy theories. (The truth). And still have high hopes of being a game developer or digital artist and grandmaster of realites.

If I get a console I can just sit back and enjoy the lifestyle of a gamepad, and keep my ramblings and designs on a Lenovo. Worried that an xbox S or x or whatever wouldn't survive the tropical heats tho.

I'm honestly growing outa PC gaming I feel like my Dwarf Fortress days and exporting them fort saves to 3d maps. And dual booting multiple nixes r behind me. Although I really miss it. I haven't done anything seriously cool with a computer since 2010 tho [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Any good suggestions for a crazy catstarkind? I wanna try valhiem after I get bored of No "mans" (lol) Sky. And finally beat vanilla Skyrim. Oh, pretty sure minecraft will still be around, and I got the occasional itch to WoW.

It did BSOD once on me just running chrome and no fans after a freshboot. That's pretty much a sign that some piece of hardware is done for [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

A quick look through the crash logs lead me to the idea it's I/O related.
Last edited by starkind; 09-25-2021 at 08:23 PM..
Old 09-25-2021, 08:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A new HD and reinstall. Plus updated firmware. Pretty sure the video card and CPU is fine. RAM could be bad also, dunno if it's the ram or SSD. Or both. Or mobo. Need to disable page file, run SMART on it. Update firmware. Drivers. Renable page file. All that is super scary, I don't have a backup power supply so it'll get bricked if there's lightning or my hood has a power surge. It's pretty unreliable here lol. Just finding the right files for the chips and getting that all done is a beastly big deal. For me.

I'll post specs later. The mobo is shady AF Asus Tuf (untuf). Though.

Swapping the CPU to a new one's probably a bad idea for me.. I'm an idiot with the pastes and it's water cooled.

Tbh. The idea of gutting this thing, or getting into the guts scares TF out of me. I think I'm right though, it's probably bad memory or bad SSD.

I haven't fucked with moving data. Reinstalling n shit in ages. I could toss the SSD and back up the data drive and do a reinstall onto the old-school 1TB spinnyboi.. Doubt I could get windows to copy over though lol. Does windows have a USB boot disk with online install? And can I transfer my key..

Paying someone to do it's kinda pointless, they'll want like $500 and I don't trust anyone at all. I keep to much personal info and insane writings on there, even if I deleted my psycho ramblings I would worry about someone stealing them and impersonating me. Nothing illegal, haxed, or w/e, just don't want the plebes2know the true nature of reality n dox me hardcore.

Money isn't the issue for me right now. It's the headspace and sanity of building a new PC with the left over parts and feeling confident I didn't just fuck up a nice cpu.

Case is pretty decent tho. So is the PSU.

Idk. If you could really help me Impk. If I lived next door I'd probably give u $600 and ask u to fix it or install a nice fat spinny 5tb drive and see if that solves it.

I was screwing with the radeon software and ryzen master. The temps are fine. Underclocking it didn't help. Can play my games and stay pretty cool. Tho during the 90-120F days here I need to underclock, fps limit, drop settings to keep it from Prochot'ting. I play mostly old games anyway.

Likely the heat cooked the SSD. Or Ram.

Contemplating buying like an Alienware laptop or something or maybe a cheap ass lenovolike laptop for business and a console and trying to give up on PC gaming all together. Or like a console and an Artsy fartsy tablet like I always wanted anyway.

Pros to PC or laptop, during the summer I can play old-school games. Underclock it and play p99 at the beach in 98F weather with my starlink. Do art. And write manifestos, treatises on utopia and interdimensional being conspiracy theories. (The truth). And still have high hopes of being a game developer or digital artist and grandmaster of realites.

If I get a console I can just sit back and enjoy the lifestyle of a gamepad, and keep my ramblings and designs on a Lenovo. Worried that an xbox S or x or whatever wouldn't survive the tropical heats tho.

I'm honestly growing outa PC gaming I feel like my Dwarf Fortress days and exporting them fort saves to 3d maps. And dual booting multiple nixes r behind me. Although I really miss it. I haven't done anything seriously cool with a computer since 2010 tho [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Any good suggestions for a crazy catstarkind? I wanna try valhiem after I get bored of No "mans" (lol) Sky. And finally beat vanilla Skyrim. Oh, pretty sure minecraft will still be around, and I got the occasional itch to WoW.
Clear your internet cache/history, it's a memory fault so start there.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale biologist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Clear your internet cache/history, it's a memory fault so start there.
Read my update miss. Also that won't fix it if the memory is bad it'll just crash again once I load another 12 gigs into ram or it pages the SSD again. . There's like 120 free gigs on the ssd and 700 free on the hdd.
Last edited by starkind; 09-25-2021 at 08:27 PM..
Old 09-25-2021, 08:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Read my update miss. Also that won't fix it if the memory is bad it'll just crash again. There's like 120 free gigs on the ssd and 700 free on the hdd.
Try it anyway, it's RAM.

Have you reinstalled starkindOS?
Old 09-25-2021, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale biologist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Try it anyway, it's RAM.

Have you reinstalled starkindOS?
Now you're being mean.

I expected this SSD to last longer than 3 years, 3 years wasn't so bad tho.

I could sell the case, PSU, card, and CPU, GPU and water cooler for $400 ez. So maybe I'll consider that. Def wouldn't recommend keeping the mobo. Ram. Or disks.

Imo SSD aren't ready for serious heavy duty service. Better to mount them as like a RAID for like editing large files so they can be tossed after they start erroring easily.

I fucked up getting OS installed on it. I wanted to like Ramdisk red99 for ultra instant zone times.
Closed Thread