Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 12:57 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
velious: Broken expansion with zones that are too big/poorly designed, Unbalanced totally over powered items, and a singular focus on toxic end game raiding and toxic players.

Prove me wrong.
Or, you know, the expansion that defined all MMO's for the next decade and a half. Velious is responsible for the true success and longevity of EQ, WoW, Rift, and pretty much every other MMO since. In fact, Velious's echoes can even be felt in games like Destiny, the Division, and Anthem (or rather, Anthem died immediately because of it's lack of that echo).

The foundational impact that Velious had on gaming cannot be overstated imo. It's the most important content ever released in EQ, it is this games true legacy.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:01 PM
Planar Protector

Oh yea, we all really love the decade and a half of MMO gaming that came after Velious around these parts.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:41 PM
Planar Protector

Bwuahahaha

Getting back on topic:

High elf ench: mail route > bone chips > unrest + wisps and light stones/GLS's to S.Ro Delf > HPH > HK / SolA / city guards > Lguk > finish maxing JC.

Probably make my cleric somewhere in there while waiting for groups/spots to open up.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Last edited by Nuggie; 07-15-2019 at 04:52 PM..
Old 07-15-2019, 07:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelaboon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Classic really sucks as a melee. Weapon choices were horrible. Warriors were okay with Yaks, and monks were okay with fists, but Rogues really sucked
This guy knows
Old 07-15-2019, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh yea, we all really love the decade and a half of MMO gaming that came after Velious around these parts.
I lol’d
Old 07-15-2019, 09:21 PM
Banned

Highelf cleric mail quest til 14 via corpsing mail and dragging two corpses at a time, un rest til 19 then double DA training the group of mages at Lguk EE camp so my mage bros can move in and get me a manastone > Ivu+Invis from same mage bros before I double DA train people at guise camp for my monks mask. Eating two lvl 19 account bans for manastone and guise 100% worth it.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:46 PM
Kobold

Quote:
A fair point, P99 forums are probably not the venue for arguing the positives of progress in gaming, but it doesn't change the argument. Velious is not a bad expansion just because you don't raid.

If you don't raid, and you're not a loot whore, every MMO since Velious release and most of the MMO lites like Destiny and Warframe are probably not for you. Hell there will probably be hints of Velious in Borderlands 3 when it comes out.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:41 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DromalPhrenia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Uh, the goal isn't to trick people into thinking I somehow made a DE Pally. It's that a Dark Elf Paladin with a flaming sword looks a billion times cooler than a human or dwarf or whatever.

And if you have a guise, you WANT everyone to know you have a guise, because its a status symbol. I wouldn't want a guise on a class that can be a dark elf, except for small races and large races for the other reason I mentioned (free shrink / not getting blocked by certain geometry)
LOL i really want to hear this guy say that in person, i'd be ROFL for 10 minutes
Old 07-16-2019, 02:08 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Or, you know, the expansion that defined all MMO's for the next decade and a half. Velious is responsible for the true success and longevity of EQ, WoW, Rift, and pretty much every other MMO since.
You mean Planes of Power, the best and most comprehensive raid expansion? Also the expansion that peaked EQ in terms of subscriber numbers? That expansion?
Old 07-16-2019, 04:07 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You mean Planes of Power, the best and most comprehensive raid expansion? Also the expansion that peaked EQ in terms of subscriber numbers? That expansion?
Planes of Power was indeed all of those things, but Velious is what started it all. All PoP really did was expand and improve on what Velious invented.

Also, PoP was pretty much the expansion that killed EQ too. The gear-inflation was so bad it made all previous expansions obsolete in a way that Velious and even Luclin didn't.

Even deep into Luclin there were still items out of VP that were basically as good as VT loot. Not many, but some. PoP destroyed everything before it, and started the precedent of "new expansion, all your old shit sucks" that plagues EQ to this day.
Last edited by Halfcell; 07-16-2019 at 04:11 AM..
Closed Thread