Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 11:49 PM
Orc

Smile Returning after almost 12 years.

***Warning, wall of text INC!***

When I was 10 years old I went to a good friends house. Upon arrival his mom answered the door exclaiming my friend was "busy fighting imaginary creatures *rolls eyes*"...

Intrigued and confused I found him playing in complete silence as a human character, who was able to fake his own death and bats, rats, and a dog thing that stood on two legs walked away not interested any longer.

"WOW! CAN I PLAY?!?!" I exclaimed. I asked him if we could put it on two player mode, why he couldn't see at night, and every noob question in the book.

That was late 2000, my birthday the next February the only thing I asked for was EQ. Somehow I convinced my parents to not only pay the $9.99 a month or whatever it was back then, but to give up the phone jack for HOURS ON END.

I played almost exactly 5 years, logging some 400 days played over that period.

I remember meeting my first "friends" in game, a husband and wife couple who played Warrior and Enchantress named "Wildthaang" and "Shimmerist" IIRC. I won a full set of banded armor in a guild raffle, I acted as a banker for the players farming the ice giants in permafrost, and the list goes on...

I ended with a whole host of characters, a Shaman with the best Fletching skill you could have because I liked archery even though I couldn't use any of it haha.

So now almost 12 years later, I randomly discover P99, sign up to the forums and download what files I think I need (for a mac), ready to jump back in.

Does anyone have any advice for a new Barb Shaman? Will come in handy when I'm able to finish installing the game!

Very much looking forward to seeing you all in game, cheers!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:38 PM
Aviak

Welcome! I hope you love the server as much as we all do.

Advice: save lowbie tradeskill stuff like spiderling silk and pelts and sell that stuff to players. Gotta pay for those spells somehow.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Fire Giant

Welcome back! Look up Itap/Cephalus in game if you need some help getting going
Old 10-03-2016, 07:44 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgriff02 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Welcome! I hope you love the server as much as we all do.

Advice: save lowbie tradeskill stuff like spiderling silk and pelts and sell that stuff to players. Gotta pay for those spells somehow.

Tell ya what, this may be "classic eq" based on expansions...

But the hospitality, cooperation and general upbeat feeling every-single-person I've come across is NOTHING like I remember from 2001-2005!

*I know its not ALL rainbows and butterflies- but ill embrace it while it lasts! haha*

I'm currently a lvl 5 barb shaman named Salelor. The exact race-class-name of my first EQ character in 2001. Please feel free to give me a /tell!
Old 10-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Fire Giant

Welcome back! I think you will find EQ is almost as much fun as it was back in the day. My only advice would be to bookmark the P99 wiki for reference and find other players to group with. I have a small leveling guild with mains and alts between 10 and 50 of mostly returning players such as yourself where you can usually find at least one or two others to group with so feel free to contact me on one of my characters for info or an invite. Can also find more info about the guild in the guild section of these forums.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Kobold

Make sow pots breh
Old 10-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Aviak

Welcome- I think most of us share very similar experiences.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:13 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundanium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Welcome- I think most of us share very similar experiences.
Yep, pretty much the reason I decided to post. Being surrounded by a bunch of people who "understood" my nostalgia, and are able to share stories of their memories of the past is fantastic. Haha I find myself lurking these forums random pictures and posts almost more than playing the game itself!
Closed Thread